Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Colt revolvers

Reactions
Hey all. Im wondering the collectability/ value of Colt DA revolvers. I know the snake series is taking off but im wondering if anything else looks good for shooting/ collecting/ investment.

OP
S
Reactions
You still can find Detectives at decent prices!
Any idea on numbers? I can see alot of the 60's and 70's pieces going up with the crazy prices pythons are bringing. People realizing they cant afford them but swing twards other colts.

jbett98

Reactions
I picked up a 6" Colt Official Police .38 special at a pawn shop that had 6 squibs lodged inside the barrel for $125.00.
I looked around and finally found a nice replacement 4" barrel on eBay for $30.00 and had Velzey swap the barrels and I'm really pleased with the project.
It's the same model pistol that Barney Fife had on his hip.

colt official police 001.JPG

OP
S
Reactions
I picked up a 6" Colt Official Police .38 special at a pawn shop that had 6 squibs lodged inside the barrel for $125.00.
I looked around and finally found a nice replacement 4" barrel on eBay for $30.00 and had Velzey swap the barrels and I'm really pleased with the project.
It's the same model pistol that Barney Fife had on his hip.

View attachment 583201
Nice find, im curious what that barrel looked like.

I think the best buys are blued pre-WWII Colt Official Police, Police Positive Specials, and Detective Specials. They have the beautiful oven-fired Colt brush blue finish that is a lost art. No one can reproduce it today. They have the labor-intensive hand-fitted fit and finish that isn't economically feasible today.

Colt Official Police 5" barrel
t4sQpzO.jpg

YSDws8T.jpg

8UhB9Ej.jpg

xuDx709.jpg

67DXAHb.jpg

Colt Police Positive Specials 4" and 5" barrels
DSC_1306a_zpsas0bepow.jpg

DSC_1312a_zps2n1mu2kk.jpg

You can find them for reasonable prices 1933 Colt Official Police .38 SPL 6” BBL Revolver - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 807257425

Screenshot_2019-05-25 1933 Colt Official Police 38 SPL 6” BBL Revolver.png

Last edited:

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is technically competent in all aspects of gunsmithing and...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and chairs to be damn near perfect. They try and for the...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months of use and a handful of speed steel events, I...
    • Mister Bisley

Staff online