JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What influences you?

• Blue Finish

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Stainless

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Diamond Polish

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 357 Magnum

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • 44 Magnum

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 45 LC

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Price

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Grade

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Ok, after reading the post about how revolver production and sales is plummeting; don't want to debate why; I would like to know as much as possible about revolvers! I have a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp and love it! But what you look for when buying a new revolver?

Also, not discriminating against S&W, Rossi, Cimarron, Etc...

After that first thought. What caliber? (Unless it's your first thought)
Finish?
Manufacturer?
Caliber?
Why those choices?
What causes certain revolvers to hold value or go up in value?
How do I know that I'm getting a good deal?
Do shops rate them on a scale?
How do I know what the rating is?
I don't want to search through other places. I appreciate the help from the great people on this website.

I plan on getting new Colt before CZ starts making them, older Colts, and then once CZ actually starts to make them maybe a couple then.

And no it's not because I'm getting older or can't handle modern firearms. I appreciate the craftsmanship that is necessary for making them!

Who said CZ is moving Colt? Not certain that would happen, as Hartford and Colt go together. CZ did not move Dan Wesson anywhere, so that is our guide. Anything Python is valuable - from beaters to safe queens. Diamondbacks have also increased substantially. Anacondas, sure. I like the new one much better than the original. At $1,499 (eventually), it's actually a steal. But I think they should have called it the Python 44, as the name has more panache.

Smiths are classic and classic Smiths are better than the current MIM/safety models.

Rugers - pretty much all Rugers are well-made, will never wear out, will never win any trophies or beauty contests, but would be fine to own when things get badder.

Taurus is still somewhat hit or miss, but a good one is a good one. Matte black finish does no favors to their limeup's appearance.

An oddball: I like the original David Berkowitz approved Charter Bulldog 3" in .44 Spl. It punishes at both ends but you are pretty well armed if you carry one.

Kimber. Probably well designed and made. Expensive and the frame looks like the older H&R and Iver Johnson revolvers.

One that got away: The SS Rossi 988 Cyclops. Über heavy ported barrel with scope mount. One example printed 0.75" groups at 25 yards. The downside is that you cannot blame the gun for poor shooting.

Korth? Sell the house and buy one. Rather decent appearance. German, but built like a Swiss watch.

Manurhin? Hen's teeth that are a league above American revolvers.

Sadly, it is a bad time to start any gun collection, and the market will not likely fully recover.

Last Edited:
You're lucky to have picked up a Wiley Clapp before they got so dear. If you find more of them for a good price, you should pick them up (or drop me a PM and let me know where they are). Their prices on GB the past year have skyrockted.

Basically, spend more time figuring out what you personally love, and start from there. You'll find your way and it will mean a lot more than if you just jump in to the deep end of what is popular to collect at the time, which is a sure way to pay top dollar.

Most of your questions come down to personal preference and what you like to shoot, which comes from experience, or what you like to collect, which also comes from experience. If you're trying to make them an investment, you're going to have to spend some serious time learning as there's a lot of ins and outs. Even then, most folks who do that sort of stuff are either guided by what they like to shoot, what they find that's a good deal, or what they want to brag about. The reasons are just as diverse as most hobbies.

Revolvers with better fit, finish, features tend to be worth more. A lot of 3" barreled revolvers command a higher price, for example, as do revolvers with limited runs/production, special orders like Lew Hortons, prelock and/or pinned and recessed S&W revolvers, and revolvers with more hand-fitting. Things that are rare and didn't sell well when they hit the market are often good candidates for gaining value. And then some folks only like S&Ws, or Rugers, or Colts, or Manurhins or Korths. There's just so many factors...

If you're interested in Colts, the snake guns are the most obvious collector pieces. If you ask a non-revolver gun guy what's the top of the christmas tree, they'll probably tell you a Python, etc. Do you want to jump into that inflated pool? Are you going to shoot them and do you have a gunsmith that works on Colts and do you know how to judge a revolver's quality?

Another thing to consider is whether revolvers will continue to be popular with younger generations of folks, like me. A lot of guys my age have yet to appreciate them fully. We may see that is changing with gun control lobbies going after magazine capicity.

Ok, after reading the post about how revolver production and sales is plummeting; don't want to debate why; I would like to know as much as possible about revolvers! I have a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp and love it! But what you look for when buying a new revolver?

Also, not discriminating against S&W, Rossi, Cimarron, Etc...

After that first thought. What caliber? (Unless it's your first thought)
Finish?
Manufacturer?
Caliber?
Why those choices?
What causes certain revolvers to hold value or go up in value?
How do I know that I'm getting a good deal?
Do shops rate them on a scale?
How do I know what the rating is?
I don't want to search through other places. I appreciate the help from the great people on this website.

I plan on getting new Colt before CZ starts making them, older Colts, and then once CZ actually starts to make them maybe a couple then.

And no it's not because I'm getting older or can't handle modern firearms. I appreciate the craftsmanship that is necessary for making them!
I have always felt that way about old cars ... and now I am starting to feel that way about old guns! Is this a symptom of getting smarter ... or just getting older?

You're lucky to have picked up a Wiley Clapp before they got so dear. If you find more of them for a good price, you should pick them up (or drop me a PM and let me know where they are). Their prices on GB the past year have skyrockted.

Basically, spend more time figuring out what you personally love, and start from there. You'll find your way and it will mean a lot more than if you just jump in to the deep end of what is popular to collect at the time, which is a sure way to pay top dollar.

Most of your questions come down to personal preference and what you like to shoot, which comes from experience, or what you like to collect, which also comes from experience. If you're trying to make them an investment, you're going to have to spend some serious time learning as there's a lot of ins and outs. Even then, most folks who do that sort of stuff are either guided by what they like to shoot, what they find that's a good deal, or what they want to brag about. The reasons are just as diverse as most hobbies.

Revolvers with better fit, finish, features tend to be worth more. A lot of 3" barreled revolvers command a higher price, for example, as do revolvers with limited runs/production, special orders like Lew Hortons, prelock and/or pinned and recessed S&W revolvers, and revolvers with more hand-fitting. Things that are rare and didn't sell well when they hit the market are often good candidates for gaining value. And then some folks only like S&Ws, or Rugers, or Colts, or Manurhins or Korths. There's just so many factors...

If you're interested in Colts, the snake guns are the most obvious collector pieces. If you ask a non-revolver gun guy what's the top of the christmas tree, they'll probably tell you a Python, etc. Do you want to jump into that inflated pool? Are you going to shoot them and do you have a gunsmith that works on Colts and do you know how to judge a revolver's quality?

Another thing to consider is whether revolvers will continue to be popular with younger generations of folks, like me. A lot of guys my age have yet to appreciate them fully. We may see that is changing with gun control lobbies going after magazine capicity.
Honestly I enjoy 357, 44, 45 LC and didn't have a problem with S&W 500.

Who said CZ is moving Colt? Not certain that would happen, as Hartford and Colt go together.

A Czech firearms manufacturer buying Colt Holding Co. is delaying plans for a new production site in Arkansas as it focuses on Connecticut, but will not soon increase the West Hartford workforce of 300, a top executive said Monday.
Jan Drahota, vice-chairman of the board of CZG–Česká zbrojovka Group, said at a news conference the company had been looking for another production base in the U.S. and settled on a site in Little Rock, Arkansas.

https://www.courant.com/business/hc...0210215-fl7ivzju5zajhkgcy7rpb7zs6e-story.html

Honestly I enjoy 357, 44, 45 LC and didn't have a problem with S&W 500.

Well if you're into Colts, you can go the SAA route, just whatever's rare, the DA snake guns, duty-type guns...

What is your favorite Colt revolver right now as it stands?

I'd try to find a nice example of that, fondle and/or shoot it a bunch, and you'll know whether that next wheelgun buy will be something similar in a different chambering, or maybe the same gun with a different barrel length or finish, and so on.

There's plenty of love for the newer production Colts for their triggers and some other stuff. But as with any hobby like ours, the old "they don't make them like they used to" factor can come into play. Me personally, if I was going to buy a new Colt right now I'd probably pick up a 3" King Cobra. I'd try and find an Anaconda in each length when they come out, and track down the new 2020 Pythons in each length and bury them in the back of the safe if or shoot them or some combo. Maybe some vintage Lawman examples you fancy before they start getting silly. Don't forget a Colt Magnum Carry — they're pricy but not as bad as they were, and I expect they'll go up again soon. Smallest 6 shot 357 Colt ever made.

Well if you're into Colts, you can go the SAA route, just whatever's rare, the DA snake guns, duty-type guns...

What is your favorite Colt revolver right now as it stands?

I'd try to find a nice example of that, fondle and/or shoot it a bunch, and you'll know whether that next wheelgun buy will be something similar in a different chambering, or maybe the same gun with a different barrel length or finish, and so on.

There's plenty of love for the newer production Colts for their triggers and some other stuff. But as with any hobby like ours, the old "they don't make them like they used to" factor can come into play. Me personally, if I was going to buy a new Colt right now I'd probably pick up a 3" King Cobra. I'd try and find an Anaconda in each length when they come out, and track down the new 2020 Pythons in each length and bury them in the back of the safe if or shoot them or some combo. Maybe some vintage Lawman examples you fancy before they start getting silly. Don't forget a Colt Magnum Carry — they're pricy but not as bad as they were, and I expect they'll go up again soon. Smallest 6 shot 357 Colt ever made.
I honestly have not shot a Colt revolver in about 30 years... I have shot Ruger and Smith most recently

A Czech firearms manufacturer buying Colt Holding Co. is delaying plans for a new production site in Arkansas as it focuses on Connecticut, but will not soon increase the West Hartford workforce of 300, a top executive said Monday.
Jan Drahota, vice-chairman of the board of CZG–Česká zbrojovka Group, said at a news conference the company had been looking for another production base in the U.S. and settled on a site in Little Rock, Arkansas.

https://www.courant.com/business/hc...0210215-fl7ivzju5zajhkgcy7rpb7zs6e-story.html
Czechmate! Anyway, it will apparently remain in the US. There are innumerable rumors about Colt moving to the EU - mostly fed by those who wouln't buy one anyway. The relocation south is a move which Colt bungled years ago and which was a symptom of a larger problem.

You've gotten good and sound advice so far. Decide what sets your heart aflutter, is it deep highly polished blued steel and wood? Then there's matte blue... How about stainless? Matte? High polish? Perhaps a combo of matte and high polish?

What calibers trip your trigger? Is it .45 LC (my favorite), .44 Magnum, what about .41 Magnum? Then theres .357 Magnum and its little brother .38 Special. Don't forget the .22 revolvers, even convertibles to shoot .22 magnums...

Now consider the different revolver types, there's single actions and double actions. Next the actual profiles, S&W v. Colt v. Ruger... I think only you can define what really trips your trigger, do lots of window shopping, seeing whats out there. Once you've determined what your after, then its an easier question to answer.

Lastly, what will be its role? Home protection, edc, simply range toy. Those all impact the choices. A range toy might have an 8.5" barrel, an edc would be more suitable with a 2"-4" barrel...

Understand, if you ask 100 people, you'll most likely get 100 different answers... Good luck in your quest.

I mainly want to know how to avoid being taken advantage of... what determines the price of the revolver? Let me show a couple examples and maybe that will help.

35E75C31-FFEA-4B1F-9AC1-AD8C04F023CC.png 161D29E4-73D1-4D30-B3EC-55BF3AF765C3.png

I have always been a YUGE fan of the Colt Snakes, none of the others even compare! Give me a Python, ANY Python and i'm a happy guy! Give me an Anaconda any day, there are few others that even come close! I was a little skeptical of the new Snakes at first, I had heard horror stories and had even seen a new Python and wasn't impressed at all, but after looking at a brand new Anaconda a few weeks ago, I would buy a new one when they are available again! Seems Colt has been paying attention to folks and bringing back the classics wasn't good enough, they HAD to make them right, they had to live up to the legend, and they seem to have done that, i'm really liking some of the changes they have made to the classics, they seem to have slickened them up and made them more carry friendly! I'm In for one! :s0155:

While I don't regret any of my gun purchases, the ones I feel best about happened after executing steps 1-4.
And, since every company makes both good examples and bad, and since guns are both well treated and mistreated, best to gain knowledge from the dedicated forums and go hands on with a few examples. I believe that doing the above, you will know which one is the one.

The Ruger Blackhawk is a great way to go; GP100 if you need DA. I competed once with a 4 inch Dan Wesson (the old school frame with interchangable barrels) and that's one revolver I wish I'd never parted with. Don't discount the old Smith Model 19 too, they can be had reasonably and if well cared for are great. My 1972 model 67 runs like german clockwork and is a tack driver. I miss the old Colts but I don't think they're worth all the markup and inflation. $5,500 for a Colt Kodiak I bought in '92 for $600? I think that's insane.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top