JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
About $200 when can we meet?????

I just saw a Python in a LGS not long ago, it was in very good shape and I think it was $1,700.

I have seen internet ones that were 98-99% going for the low $2,000's

I know it depends a lot on condition but I am looking to get a "ballpark" feel for it. My father in law has a 4", blued, 357 Python he is wondering what the value is. About circa 1974 I believe

I'm not an expert, but probably a good way to start is finding out the serial number and making sure of the date:

Python Serial #s Up to 1985 - Look Them Up Here - Pistolsmith

I have heard that blued finish in general on a Python is more desirable... depending on the condition...

Really depends on the condition and how original it is. $1500 wouldn't surprise me a bit. Python prices are way up in the last year.

Were they always this expensive or are they in high demand because of the show Walking Dead or the fact it's one of the best guns in the Black Ops video games.
Makes me wonder how many kids will want to Pack-a-Punch! their real weapons.

You need to have one in your hand and feel the trigger to understand why they are so sought after.
I found a mint 6" bright stainless model on Craigslist a year ago and jumped on it for $1000.00.
The original owner fired six rounds, put in back in the box and stored it since 1982.
I have basically done the same thing. It's too minty to actually have fun with.

You need to have one in your hand and feel the trigger to understand why they are so sought after.
I found a mint 6" bright stainless model on Craigslist a year ago and jumped on it for $1000.00.
The original owner fired six rounds, put in back in the box and stored it since 1982.
I have basically done the same thing. It's too minty to actually have fun with.

Ahhhhh Pythons. I have a weakness for Pythons. :cool:

In a brief stint home from AFG the wife jumped all over me for paying nearly $900 for a mechanically sound, but well shot 4" model. "What's so special about Pythons?", she said. :s0012:

About a week later I found a Royal Blue 6" model in mint. It sat in the previous owner's safe from when he bought it new in 1978 until his widow sold it to me. Now that gun sits in MY safe. Don't worry folks I did not take advantage of her, but I again heard it from the wife....."What's so special about Pythons?" :s0012:

Then one day while out shooting I had the wife properly break in the 4". In my attempt to appease the Gungods I may have further created a monster. After shooting it she says, "Now I see. This is an awesome gun". I just looked at her and smiled. Forgetting all about being topless she put about a hundred rounds through it. :s0001: Now she keeps her eyes open for Pythons when we visit gunstores and the like. :s0164:

Come to think of it a woman liking guns will not nor cannot ever be considered a monster. Perhaps in my appeasement the Gungods are smiling down on me. :s0155:

Your wife shoots topless?

Yes as long as it's not to cold. Sometimes even less. :woot:

BAMCIS,

I'm always looking for new places to shoot...where do you usually go :D ?
Keith

Usually out in the woods. :winkkiss:

I posted my thoughts on how (and why) to properly break in a new gun here:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ri...-my-ars-how-i-got-them-how-i-decided-bcm.html

In an attempt to get back on the original subject, replicant (OP) if it's not costing anything and the money is not NEEDED then let the gun sit. Unless Colt decides to start producing Pythons again, and all of my research shows that is not very likely, then it will only increase in value. Afterall, it's a PYTHON!!!

When I was (much) younger I owned 3 Colt Pytons (1) 4", (2) 6", as well as a .38 Colt Diamondback...All 4 were mint. I SURE wish I had 'em now, as I could sell each one for 3 times what I paid for 'em...

I would agree for the price of a used blued Python would be around $1000-$1500 depending on condition.

I prefer my 6 inch stainless but a nice blued 4 inch would be sweet.

E07508F7-780E-4DFF-8EC9-9837D7FEA43F-5024-000008E68E0242B1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
or are they in high demand because of the show Walking Dead
Yep - kind of what Dirty Harry did for the M-29 .44 Mag. Something like only 2000 sold world wide until the movie then the following year 200K plus sold (numbers may be off but it was something like that)