JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at Tick Licker in Corvallis picking up a lower and poking around in their guns while waiting on my BGC yesterday. They have a Colt that I have never seen before. It is quite small with probably a 4" barrel in .32. I couldn't read the roll marks because they are so small but the sales guy said it's a .32. The gun is in wonderful condition and I keep thinking about it and wondering about its history and what .32 cartridge it shoots. I suppose it's the size of my Detective Special with a longer barrel. Does anyone have an idea of what I'm talking about? Price is $550 The dang thing is like a pretty girl I can't stop thinking about and can't have.

COLT POLICE POSITIVE
"D" FRAME

The Colt Police Positive was an improved version of the New Police adding Colt's "Positive Safety" feature.
From the Colt Fever website archive:

The Police Positive was extremely popular with police departments wanting a small, light weight revolver.

It was produced in various forms from 1907 to 1947.

The Police Positive First Issue was available in .32 Colt , .32 Colt New Police, .38 New Police which is essentially the .38 S&W.

It was available with barrels of 2 1/2", 4", 5", and 6".

Finishes were bright blue and bright nickel.

Hard rubber grips were used until 1923 after which checkered walnut with silver Colt medallions were standard.

The First Issue was made from 1907 to 1927.

The Police Positive Second Issue added a grooved top strap to cut glare, and had a slightly heavier frame.

The distance between the rear of the trigger guard and the front of the grip frame was increased to allow more room for fingers.

It was made from 1928 to 1947.

Note that .32 Colt is equivalent to the 32 S&W cartridge while .32 Colt New Police is the same as .38 S&W Long. Colt did not want to put "S&W" on their guns.

I will not drive to Corvallis

You really didnt need to post this...........

You really didnt need to post this...........
The gun is 98 percent in my mind. I can't buy it now as I'm over my limit for awhile

Thanks, Bon Sauvage....

And to finish trying to get it right:

The .32 Colt New Police is equivalent to the .32 Smith & Wesson Long. A superb cartridge which would be my choice out of those offered by Colt for this size/weight revolver.

The .38 Colt New police is equivalent to the S&W .38 (S&W .38 "short", not the S&W .38 Long).

From Wiki:
The .38 Colt New Police was Colt's Manufacturing Company's proprietary name for what was essentially the .38 S&W with a flat-nosed bullet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top