JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Historically every since the beginning Colt primarily sought government contracts over civilian markets. Nothing has over the last 173 years as far as who Colt sees as their main customer.

They suspended civilian sales to concentrate their capacity towards government sales. MSM articles make it out like they (Colt) don't want to sell to the public, but that isn't necessarily the case.

Also, they didn't say it explicitly, but the civilian AR market is saturated with every major and many minor manufacturers making and selling some version of the AR, and/or AR parts/kits/etc. - Colt can't really compete on price/quality with them in the civilian market.

Now maybe they are putting a spin on this at an opportune time and they just don't want to be caught up in what will soon be a political mess, but maybe not - that isn't what they said, it isn't 'virtue signaling', despite what the MSM is trying to spin it as. So I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Thanks for this. You just reminded me to "do the work" before I run my mouth. Here's the story straight from Colt's website:
https://www.colt.com/news/2630
First paragraph:
There have been numerous articles recently published about Colt's participation in the commercial rifle market. Some of these articles have incorrectly stated or implied that Colt is not committed to the consumer market. We want to assure you that Colt is committed to the Second Amendment, highly values its customers and continues to manufacture the world's finest quality firearms for the consumer market.

Once, one of the only games in town...Smart business decision IYAM.

Colt can't really compete with the custom "Build-yer-own types", nor the Daniel Defense, Noveske, BCM crowd for those looking at higher end makes.

As a common name brand they also can't compete with the recent overflow of cheaper but able-to-get-the-job-done 'out of the box' factory offerings from the likes of Ruger, S&W, PSA etc.

If the public was buying more Colts (instead of the above alternatives), they would continue to produce/offer more to the public.

Those looking to rip on Colt for changing directions, ought to have been out buying more Colts.

In this hyper-saturated AR market it might not be a bad business decision. Seems like everyone and their uncle is producing an AR these days.

There are plenty of companies that still make money selling ARs and Colt had a huge head start and unmatched name recognition. They simply prefer .gov business and always have.

So with colt doing this, would it make my colt AR 15 6960 talo ccu edition more valuable? Or at least hold its value? New it was $1190. 62768F06-4522-4226-BCAF-E3D06AD3BA6F.jpeg I looked around and everywhere I looked it was out of stock. It was kind of that way when I bought mine last summer

With the COVID budget crunch, a number of their Mil and LE contracts have been pushed out, so they have rifles built on those contracts, now available to the civilian market. i picked up 6 of them Friday, happy to do so.

Like I said when they first said they were going to stop making them and some were freaking out and calling them names because they were not going to sell to civilians that it was because there was an excessive overstock of them that they needed to clear out and they would start once the demand was back and sure enough the demand came back and the overstock was wiped out.

It's just business why produce a something that you can't make a profit on because the market is flooded.

Are Colt ARs really that great, or is it just a "Cult' following?

I inherited a Colt from the Vietnam era, but I think it is broke, as there is a rattle sound.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top