JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're trying pretty hard to wiggle out of your comment.
Has nothing to do with a united front, it's just a business decision. They aren't stopping production
Yes it is a business decision, brought on by less than stellar business practices. Quality always sells but with so many choices out there in the market, and with a person's ability and the availability to purchase quality parts, they were also in completion with their customers. Another once-proud company suffers a hit. If they cannot build their business with new military contracts, and with innovative new rifles, they will disappear.

Blah blah blah blah..... will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world. ... blah blah blah blah..
It's customers are not citizens though, only those able to suppress the citizens.

Guess I should sell my 6920LE on gunbroker since its value will go up a bit and get a much better quality AR for the price. Colt always was the "government's" gun manufacturer with all its LE models and military/LE contracts. They like producing government/peasant versions of their rifles. I have this feeling Colt ARs will still be avail, but just mfg as Law Enforcement model to appease the anti-gun liberal crowd and make Colt sound like a more "sensible" company. PC move in my opinion.

BCM or DD is sounding nice, although DD's have gone up significantly in price since they first hit the market.

This all happens right around the time i was thinking of selling my colt ar 6960 to get a new ham HF radio since I upgraded to general class license. Maybe I should wait hmmmmmm i would hate to sell it but it would expedite getting my new radio.

During the assault weapons ban of 94 Colt decided to make the receiver pin holes for the trigger and hammer larger so the evil M16 parts could not fit into them. This made it hard to find aftermarket parts for a while but a few companies eventually did make some.

It was felt by many they caved into the hype at the time and betrayed the 2A community. Their civilian market share dropped like a rock back then and in my opinion it never recovered.

So this is not new and after the last bankruptcy and restructuring it does not surprise me as they are not the company many of us remembered, they are just a name.

Back then DPMS and Bushmaster pretty much replaced them and where top notch until Cerberus corp. (Freedom arms, Remington) bought them out and destroyed them.

Now it is Anderson lowers and the upper of your choice, Ruger 556, Springfield Saint or Palmetto that can match the quality and features of many of the new Colts for half the price.

I will admit I do have 2 Colt ARs from a number of years back when the name actually stood for something IMO.
It's customers are not citizens though, only those able to suppress the citizens.
Yes they are caving and should we also be concerned? I'll stick together with my brothers in arms, but it could get nasty this coming 2020... Just sayin.. It goes back to the other thread about them confiscating all of our ar's. I'll be keeping mine, but at what cost?

Settle down all. They are just trying to liquidate excess inventory. Plenty of ar15 style rifles on the market for far less than what Colt can afford to sell them at. No one is losing out on anything. If departments are getting new colts that means lots of lightly used parts to hit the market soon, It's all good. I am glad they are getting contacts it will keep them in business. I suppose if you were saving up to buy a brand new colt maybe you have a reason to whine (not really) but haters got to hate.

They have done this before and they will do it again. It's just business.

Last Edited:
Poor timing for their announcement - when so many other companies are virtue-signaling the end of gun sales. Colt should clarify that is NOT why they are doing it. The public has been buying a lot of ARs for a long time, there is a lot of competition, the market may be saturated, so it's not surprising that some companies will not be profitable selling them. Too bad these cost so much:

Colt has priced it's self out of the market in most places and products! Colt has failed to innovate or offer a better option against a market where the competition is very vigorous. Colt stopped production of several of its more popular fire arms to focus more on Mil/Leo type hardware that is also available to the civilian market, but outside the competitive price point! Colt has failed to bring anything new to the market, and this has further driven their demise! Sucks, but they did this all on their own!

It's just a matter of fact that the Government/LE Contracts will help keep Colt in business for a while longer. Which I think is Good(IMHO) and maybe they will start making more of the 1911A1 Series 70 Pistols. I have Zero use for the Series 80 Guns.

Maybe theres already been a thread on this I missed, but I just read an article that said colt announced a couple days ago that they will no longer make AR15's for the general public. It is a flooded market anyways with seemingly thousands of options but what's everyones thoughts on this?

I have generally bought Colt products, but no more. If they are not selling to the public, why should the public purchase ANYthing from Colt or marketed by them? Plenty of other AR15 makers out there, Colt won't really be missed. Colt has one foot in the grave already, and now their other foot is on a banana-peel. Sayonara Colt!

I've on and off thought of getting a 6920 just to have one, but it never seemed worth the money. I can build a better quality AR for way less. All I would have had for all the extra money would be the name, which suddenly doesn't mean that much to me anymore.

They suspended civilian sales to concentrate their capacity towards government sales. MSM articles make it out like they (Colt) don't want to sell to the public, but that isn't necessarily the case.

Also, they didn't say it explicitly, but the civilian AR market is saturated with every major and many minor manufacturers making and selling some version of the AR, and/or AR parts/kits/etc. - Colt can't really compete on price/quality with them in the civilian market.

Now maybe they are putting a spin on this at an opportune time and they just don't want to be caught up in what will soon be a political mess, but maybe not - that isn't what they said, it isn't 'virtue signaling', despite what the MSM is trying to spin it as. So I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sounds like those two men in suits came to the Colt CEO's office, opened the briefcase, showed him the pics from Epstein's island and told him how the game will be played from this moment on. Please sign your pre-written press release. Thank you for your cooperation.

I heard it was one guy...….in a black suit.
suitcase-full-of-money1.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top