JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to get an approximate value on a Colt 70 SS National Match that's 98%. I found one and I think it's a steal, but am not sure. GB isn't much help on this. Thanks, Ken

Ken, you have to dig a little deeper on GunBroker for accurate pricing. You need an account with them before you can open up their "advance search" tool bar.
After signing in, open the advance search bar, open the "Show Only"" section, located about the middle left of the page. Scroll down and choose "Going, Going, Gone."
Then, enter the item you are researching for in the "Search Words" at the top of that column.
Now you will see the actual price paid for any past auctions.

Update if anyone cares. The pistol is a pre 70 Colt National Match and I did buy it. I just had not done enough homework when I thought it wsn't a good buy. It's a very nice pistol circa 1964. I'll put a picture up as soon as Photobucket gets unscrewedup. Ken

Ken, I have a pre Gold Cup made in 1968, it's blued steel.
Your initial post described it as a stainless steel model. I didn't know that they were made in ss.

They aren't, it's shiney blue. I hadn't paid much attention to it and the bluing is so shiney that, well I remembered it as stainless. I went back and looked at it a couple more times and asked lots of questions on the 1911 forum and the Campfire before I got it figured out. It doesn't have a Gold Cup roll stamp on it either, just NM and NM on the barrel. The trigger is awesome. My wife knows nothing about guns and I had her dry fire it and her response was "That's it?. You should have beat me to it. :)

Ken, just so you know, you should only fire low power loads like wad cutter target rounds in these early National Matches.
Colt removed metal off the slides and used reduced springs in them. If you fire standard or hot loads you will crack the slide.
I would have drove down that day and bought it, if I knew exactly what you were describing over the phone when we talked last week.
I am surprised the guy who had it up for sale didn't know what he had.

If you strip this down, look for a very tiny bent washer and spring that fits between the sear and the depressor. It's function is to take up any back lash slop on the sear.
It is a royal pain to get the tiny spring back in place once it's been removed.
These early Colt NM's had a finish second to none.

My 68 Colt NM was completely packed inside and out with cosmoline grease, and then buried in an ammo can with lots of cash by an older friend in his back yard.
He was prepping for Y2K at the time.
Later on he died of colon cancer in 08 and his widow told me about it, and that I could keep anything I found, as long as she got the cash. I found the can and dug it up. Over two grand in cash, a whole bunch of ammo and the Colt. At first glance I knew it was a 1911, but the color of the grease and being in a plastic bag, it looked destroyed by rust.
Was I surprised when I got all of it cleaned up. What a beautiful pistol and a real joy to shoot.
A lot of work by real craftsman went into that pistol, be very careful with it. I doubt you will luck out and find another for that price again.
The real surprise for me was the full auto Thompson that my friend willed to me in his living trust. Comes with the tax stamp by the feds too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top