JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, Im looking for the great info Ive experienced hear before. Thanks.

Im trying to find info on the Colt mustang .380 year of manufacture. Can anyone please help? While at it I was wondering the value of an unfired in box blued .380 colt. Thx.

.....I suppose it depends on the year eh?

according to some quick Google research the Mustang was first produced in 1986 it evolved into several different versions, then was discontinued a few years ago.

It was re introduced this year, Colt mustang ultra light, at the Vegas Shot show.

They sell new for $575/600.

It was re introduced this year, Colt mustang ultra light, at the Vegas Shot show.

They sell new for $575/600.

Very interesting. I had heard that Sig bought the rights to produce the Mustang from Colt, thus the P238. Was that correct, or is my info wrong?

Do you know if the NEW Colt Mustang is significantly from the old Mustang or the Sig 238?

Thanks for the input here. I ask because I have a individual that wishes to work a so called NIB mustang .380 into a deal we currently are working on. I was wondering if the age determined the value and if there was a reference of serial numbers to manufacture dates I could look at. Guy seems hurt to let it go, Ive wanted one for sometime myself so Im half tempted on his...what I consider steep offer. Anyone have a value input on a pistol in stainless NIb in this model? thanks again for all input.

Very interesting. I had heard that Sig bought the rights to produce the Mustang from Colt, thus the P238. Was that correct, or is my info wrong?

Do you know if the NEW Colt Mustang is significantly from the old Mustang or the Sig 238?

======================================================

I'm not sure, but what I read said it was reintroduced by Colt in January of this year.I got my info from here. <broken link removed>

And here.The Return of the Colt Mustang PocketLite 380 Semi-Auto Pocket Pistol

The above link is interesting with lots of pictures.

I know nothing about this gun other then what I found doing a quick Google search and reading those 2 links.

Sounds and looks like a sweet shooter.

sorry gunails, I saw your post, thanks. Im wondering if this guy wanting more than double the price you posted is worth the NIB condition.

I'm no Colt Expert, but the Mustangs certainly aren't rare. They made a bunch of them. If someone is wanting $800 or more for a used blued Mustang, God Bless 'em, but they're smokin' ganja. Maybe they'll find someone who is also smokin' ganja who is willing to pay that much, but no one I know that's breathing clean air would.

Unless you just really want a Colt, take a look at the Sig 238 line up. It's basically the same pistol in a bunch of different finish options. I love mine.

... Colt sold the rights and manufacturing to SIG, which resulted in the P238; but Colt kept the patents; hence the new Mustangs now available.

Colt's first .380 was in 1908 for the locked breech design. The particular .380's inquired, were made from 1984 to 1997, with models beginning with the MK IV Series 80 in 1984. Longer barrel and an extra round.
From 1986-1997 along came the Mustang, followed by (in no order) the Mustang II, PocketLite, Pony and NiteLite. There were blued, nickel and stainless finishes; and then there are the custom versions, from grips to finish.
You can call Colt with the serial number and they can tell you the year manufactured and that's all. Very little difference to tell the same models apart, other than that serial number. PM and I'll see if I can help on that.

The Mustang and SIG P238 share a lot of commonality, so recoil springs, guide rods, triggers, magazines and grips, can be shared from the Colt for the P238.
I don't have a Mustang (I am looking), so I can't comment on the P238 mags in the Colt, but I have heard and read, that P238 mags work just as well in the Mustang.

Values of the Mustangs vary greatly, from NIB, to LNIB to any other condition, as can be seen on gunbroker.com.
I've seen a very nice stainless with mother-of-pearl grips; for me, a Mustang/MK IV in stainless with ivory grips looks nice for the collection.
If I found a very good NiteLite, I'd probably like that too. Uh-oh. The collection ...

IMO, blued and Hogue grips for regular concealed carry would be better. And that's likely the reason for the popularity of the Colt .380 of late.
These are easily concealed, a reliable CQ last ditch and parts are still available; and Colt re-introduced the model, ensuring model longevity and a new market.

Anything NIB or LNIB, I would definitely inspect and if possible, test fire with std pressure range ammo.

A Wolff recoil/trigger spring and a stainless trigger upgrade should be considered, particularly if the 380 has been sitting in the box/safe for awhile.

As an aside in 9mm , was the Colt Pocket Nine made only in 1999, though a lawsuit from Kahr stopped production of the Colt Pocket Nine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top