JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thumnail-copy6-e1656797591565.jpg

I have a real dilemma should I send this to Novak to be modernized? I have seen one that they did and honestly it was what actually drew my interest.

Thumnail-copy11-e1656797714802.jpg

Is 32 ACP just a novelty today? As the firearms industry have evolved, bullet technology improvements but also it has brought about better defensive items like body armor.

So many questions

Mr.Revolverguy
http://www.dayattherange.com
Firearms Reviewed and Reported On: An unbiased opinion with real world use.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dayattherange

That is a pretty nice example to be modding. Do you have a colt letter on the gun? For that relatively small investment, you can find where the gun was shipped by Colt and to whom it was shipped. Suppose it was an OSS gun. You might sign up at the Colt Forum and ask. Buncha 1903/1908 aficionados there.

My vote is that it's your gun and you should do with it what you want, and anyone that says that you shouldn't is free to free to buy it from you at a price that you feel is appropriate. :cool:

That being said, if it has no sentimental value I would also vote for the letter on the chance that it may have enough value that you could sell it and use that money to buy another one and have cash left over for getting the next one set up the way you want it

Certainly your gun to do with what you please. Since you asked, my 2 cents. NO. If its in as good a shape as the pics make it look a LOT of collectors will want it badly. As po18guy mentioned it could even be REALLY important if you can find it was somehow "famous". Even if not suspect some collector will be willing to pay you enough to buy something else REALLY nice if you want something more modern. Damn nice looking example you have there.

If it ain't broke...then no need to "fix" it.

If this pistol were in bad or rough shape...then I might consider "modernizing" it...
Better yet a re-store job to its former glory would be more to my liking.
Your pistol looks to be in too good of shape for either.

In any event...
It is in my opinion still a viable pistol and cartridge for use.

And with that said....
It is your pistol to enjoy and use as you see fit.
Andy

And maybe this? :D

Those in lead we trust barrels? They lead to approaching movie quiet with a suppressor. And... you just set the original barrel aside and can go back to stock in like 2 minutes if you are clumsy. I own one. I call it, the angry librarian. It sounds like a nail gun, but not a loud nail gun. Even with the lack of sights that the 1903 has with a suppressor, I can hit all rounds in a 7 inch target at 15 yards.

I took a friend shooting recently, (new to guns) and he loved it.

I am a big fan of not altering historical weapons unless it can be completely undone with no damage, or, I would have no issue modding something that was trashed. I view myself as the custodian of weapons that have been around long before me and should last long after I am dead and gone. But, that is my view.

But those barrels are ridiculously fun and do not damage the gun.

NO WAY! IMHO, it's collectible.

You want another .32?

Then, buy another one. Rrrrrrright.........this little girl knows how these sorts of questions/things get worked out.

Get_both-animated-gif-7.gif

Aloha, Mark

My answer:

NEVER butcher an old Colt's. That one is a fine example of why you shouldn't.

A kinder answer (as usual) was delivered by Andy.

On an occasion where I agonized over a "sensible", "conservative and demure" modification to an old gun, a good friend (who became a better friend when I realized the value of his advice) said,

" You are not the owner of that historical gun. You are only the caretaker for the next caretaker."

Last Edited:
This relative of your fine pistol sees regular carry at formal occasions, and has gone to church.

The Lord helps them who help themselves.

1656818636506.jpeg
Colt's Model of 1908, .380 Automatic Colt Pistol. Factory nickel finish, factory engraving. Perhaps a Banker's or Lawyer's gun when new.

I really appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts here. I have decided I am going to leave it like it is. Though I have now become fond of 32acp wish more pistols were made foe that round :)

I really appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts here. I have decided I am going to leave it like it is. Though I have now become fond of 32acp wish more pistols were made foe that round :)
Sadly the .380 round pretty much did in the .32. Wife who is VERY recoil sensitive has a couple of modern 32's for just this reason. The Ruger LCP II I carry she brought home after me telling her not to. Trigger felt real nice in the shop of course. Problem was she could not rack the slide and when she got to fire it one round was it for her. If they offered this in .32 it would be perfect for her. Her KT P32 is a great example of a super thin, small, and light pistol she can and will practice with. She just does not like that long trigger pull. Has a Tomcat .32 also that she loves but its a little heavy. I guess the market is just not there to make a few more mouse guns in .32 instead of .380. :(

Sadly the .380 round pretty much did in the .32. Wife who is VERY recoil sensitive has a couple of modern 32's for just this reason. The Ruger LCP II I carry she brought home after me telling her not to. Trigger felt real nice in the shop of course. Problem was she could not rack the slide and when she got to fire it one round was it for her. If they offered this in .32 it would be perfect for her. Her KT P32 is a great example of a super thin, small, and light pistol she can and will practice with. She just does not like that long trigger pull. Has a Tomcat .32 also that she loves but its a little heavy. I guess the market is just not there to make a few more mouse guns in .32 instead of .380. :(
I think mouse guns in general are the issue who says it has to be a mouse gun. I do not think the 1903 is a pocket pistol honestly would love to have another 32acp about this size. I know I know I can hear it now, well if that size why not 380 well because I want a 32 lol.

Walther for decades made a fine PPK in 32 auto, although its frame was the same size as 380 acp. I've seen scores of obsolete 32acp pistols & 32 S&W caliber revolvers go begging for someone to take home.
There was a time when many-a granny/elderly aunt had in her sewing kit somewhere, some version of 32. Colt's 1903 version of 32acp is excellent rendition of that caliber. KelTec has a famed version that slips into a watch pocket. etc. Keep looking.

View attachment 1233254

I have a real dilemma should I send this to Novak to be modernized? I have seen one that they did and honestly it was what actually drew my interest.

View attachment 1233255

Is 32 ACP just a novelty today? As the firearms industry have evolved, bullet technology improvements but also it has brought about better defensive items like body armor.

So many questions

Mr.Revolverguy
http://www.dayattherange.com
Firearms Reviewed and Reported On: An unbiased opinion with real world use.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dayattherange
I'm reminded of the ads I always see that start something like this, "unfortunately someone in the past cut off/changed/added/sporterized etc..." and ends with "...but it's still a good gun". Responses are often "it's too bad it's been sporterized, etc."

Likewise they sit there forever for sale when stock ones are all sold.

If the mods you are contemplating are 100% reversible then I say go for it. If not, I wouldn't ruin it. If it was a total junker then who cares as it has little or no historical value but not a decent to nice gun.

You will likely find a modern gun that does everything better for low cost if its function/effectiveness/use you are trying to achieve. Then u can keep it original and have a modern gun that is more effective also. 2 cents.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads