JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The effectiveness of a canted flash hider is minimal for sure, but it was done for that reason.
This, and what others have said.
It's no different than firing a pistol one handed, it's going to rise to the right or left, depending on what hand you shoot with. Rifles probably move less with 3 separate points of contact/control, but I don't get into the science of it much on rifles.
it surprises me that someone seriously into muzzle devices doesn't know the intricacies like that.

This, and what others have said.
It's no different than firing a pistol one handed, it's going to rise to the right or left, depending on what hand you shoot with. Rifles probably move less with 3 separate points of contact/control, but I don't get into the science of it much on rifles.
it surprises me that someone seriously into muzzle devices doesn't know the intricacies like that.

I had never seen it done before and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if it's something colt just pulled out of their bubblegum.

I had never seen it done before and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if it's something colt just pulled out of their bubblegum.
Well I can understand that too.
as far as a semi related subject, Rainer arms makes a very effective comp, and with everything else being even, they have two small holes off at about 1 o'clock.
Dam I should never sold that rifle....

The A1 and A2 flash hiders are actually very effective at their role. They hide flash better than most of the current crop of hiders / compensators / brakes. There are a number of vids on YouTube showing actual testing side by side with the more "modern" offerings.

Regarding the forward assist. It was pushed through by the Army ... they had the power to do so since they were the primary acquisition agency for small arms and of course, would purchase more than the other branches. Eugene Stoner thought they were a bad idea, the early Air Force rifles did not have them and the Navy and Marine Corps went on record as not wanting the device. I also believe that many of the CAR-15s used by the Navy in Viet Nam were slick sided but that is from memory and my memory may be faulty on this matter.

The Army was not comfortable with a rifle that lacked a manual method to close the bolt. The M1 and M14's charging handle could be rapped on the rear driving the bolt forward. In fact, in operation the M1 many times required this, as the bolt would stick back even after charging the magazine with a full clip.

Even though there was no demonstrated need to do this during the Army's M16 trials and the earlier procured Air Force guns showed no need for the device the Army won the day on the forward assist issue.

My training on the M16 (77-83) drilled into my brain to NOT use the forward assist. I've shot service rifle off and on for years and have witnessed hundreds of different AR rifles in use. I don't really think I've seen a time where the forward assist really helped a situation, but have many times seen where it hurt.

FWIW

Last Edited:
I tend to believe that the a1 and a2 flash hiders are a beautiful design. I guess I'm just curious about who decided to ad the solid bottom to the muzzle device and what was the first way they were timed when they were installed and if colt was the one who just decided to start shifting them off of center or if they helped developed the flat bottom. There is surprisingly very little info on the subject.

I also believe that the forward assist is garbage And it barely even works but I don't really mind having it there.

Didn't read all the replies but this is a very simple fix. (not sticking up for shoddy workmanship by any means)... But a 3/4" wrench and throw the end of the barrel in a vice with something soft on the jaws as to not ding it up, just unscrew and stick another crush washer in there and tighten down till its crushed and clocked properly. It will just take a little time and a couple bucks for the crush washer. Even though Colt should have assembled it better, in my opinion not worth the hassle of sending it back. Although a strongly worded email if you want.

It ain't rocket surgery, just time it if it bothers you.