JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I've been receiving product alerts off an on over the last few months from grab a gun for the plain Jane colt 6920 m4 carbine with the 16" barrel for 1400 dollars. Well one day it ate at me enough I ended up clicking buy and here we are some weeks later after being out of town/waiting for shipping and I'm now starting my background check quest that is a waiting period to the tune of 2800 people. I was inspecting the gun today and noticed that my a2 flash hider was canted slightly probably by about 10 or 15 degrees. I have become someone who takes muzzle devices very seriously and consider it an act of god in order to have it adjusted. That said if it's some hunk of crap rifle that i use for a plinker I'm not all that concerned. But seeing as how there's a very real chance of civilian ar15 ownership going the way of the dodo I don't really want my brand new out of the box ar15s messed with at all for collecting purposes even if the colt is a mass produced hunk of crap. I couldn't help but thinking "really colt?" You guys just send this crap out the door no big deal? Am I shocked? I have heard plenty about colt's quality control. At any rate what would you guys do? Send it back to the factory and make them fix it. Crank on it yourselves and alter the torque spec/ and run the risk of damaging the finish or worse strip one of the flats on the muzzle device? (You all know you have done it) Do you just say screw it who cares or are you anal retentive like me and find it absolutely necessary to have an a2 flash hider timed perfectly with the top slot aligned perfectly at 12 o'clock. Do you look at the mirror in shame because you spent 1400$ on a hunk of crap?

I'd sell the whole thing and buy a BCM.
I have a bcm 300 blackout upper. It's an ok gun but I never understood the hype. Also the anodizing started chipping off around the ejection port after less than 1000 rounds. The finish looks ok but it's far from durable.

If you're not happy with the way the factory indexed the flash suppressor, get a new crush washer and index it to where you like it. I've seen a lot of competition shooters of the AR platform index their brakes so the "top" is in a different position for exactly the reason AKNate stated above.

I have a bcm 300 blackout upper. It's an ok gun but I never understood the hype. Also the anodizing started chipping off around the ejection port after less than 1000 rounds. The finish looks ok but it's far from durable.

I used to have several Colt rifles/carbines and I arrived at the same conclusion. They aren't anything special. But, other manufacturers offer more options and are more bang for the buck. My BCM Recce Mk2 was $1100. To get a Colt configured the same way, it would cost a good amount more. That's assuming you wanted anything other than a standard "M4" type rifle.

I have a pinned and welded fn m4 and the slot is perfectly at 12 o'clock from the factory. I have a galil Ace with an a2 flash hider that has the slot at 12 o'clock from the factory. My Springfield saint had the slot at 12 o'clock from the factory. It's a flash hider not a recoil compensator. I can accept that colt did it on purpose rather than a complete screw up. I don't agree with it but if it was on purpose I can accept it.

Reducing the dust signature when firing prone was the reason for the solid bottom of the A2 flash hider. That change did make a big difference. After the adoption of the A1 they were still installed with a cant, at least when I was serving.

More disappointment from Colt. Maybe someday people will stop buying into all the hype. Maybe not.

I'd sell the whole thing and buy a BCM.

Agreed. I'm 100% satisfied with mine and trust it without reservation. I'd bet good money it would do as good or better than a Colt in every way.

Didn't read all the replies but this is a very simple fix. (not sticking up for shoddy workmanship by any means)... But a 3/4" wrench and throw the end of the barrel in a vice with something soft on the jaws as to not ding it up, just unscrew and stick another crush washer in there and tighten down till its crushed and clocked properly. It will just take a little time and a couple bucks for the crush washer. Even though Colt should have assembled it better, in my opinion not worth the hassle of sending it back. Although a strongly worded email if you want.