JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I clicked on your link at the top of the article it says:
Colt's in Bankruptcy Court Filing
By ADAM BRYANT
Published: March 20, 1992

I have no idea what you are looking at. The link goes to a current Wall Street Journal page, published yesterday. I don't even think Al Gore had really invented the interwebz by 1992...

There is a concern. Colt is for sale. In the past in 11 filings new owners have outsourced manufacturing to countries with cheap labor. Sometimes they just use the name and cheapen the products.

I collect 50's and early 60's Schwinn bikes. Mine were made in Chicago. On the deluxe bikes, the chrome fenders are actually solid stainless steel. If there's a dent it can be rolled out, the fender sanded and polished and it will look new. Bike dealers had fender rollers to straighten fenders because things weren't throw-away.

Today Schwinn bikes are made in China with only the name owned and they are crap that's sold at Walmart.

Just a thought. I'd hold on to my older Colts.

Cheers.

DSC02215.jpg Jags650.jpg Fender roller.jpg

I have no idea what you are looking at. The link goes to a current Wall Street Journal page, published yesterday. I don't even think Al Gore had really invented the interwebz by 1992...
But the NYT's has been in business for a while and have a rather large archive of past published articles to search through. A simple search for Iran Contra resulted in a 1987 published article. So having that on their page today does not make it new news does it?

Colt has put too much of their energy into military production and the M4 and not planned for the eventuality when their sole-source, non-competitive contract for the M4 expires which it did in July 2009 the "good old days" are gone.

In 2010 Colt was charging 1,221.00 each for m-4's to the US military

-In 2012 US army ordered 24,000 M-4's from Remington which out bid colt for 673.10 each

<broken link removed>

-In 2013 FN Manufacturing outbid Remington Arms and Colt Defense at 642.00 a rifle for 120,000 rifles

http://kitup.military.com/2013/02/army-awards-m4m4a1-contract-fn.html

I remember when Colt said the SAA wasn't selling well at $450 so they put them on special order. Any idea what a new SAA sells for today?:D

The problems at Colt go way beyond their limited catalog, labor costs, and organization. They are owned by private equity firms that keep borrowing money on Colt's behalf and then pay the lion's share of these funds to themselves as management fees and dividends instead of using it to get the company on a good footing. This is why Colt is so weak these days. It's just being kept open so the private equity firms that control it can suck cash out of it.

During the panic following Sandy Hook when gun buying was at a high, Colt still lost money because of how the private equity firms were squeezing it. At this point, no one should lend Colt a dime unless they get an ironclad pledge that it won't do things like borrowing $150M and then pay out $130M in dividends to its owners. And it didn't just do that once. It did that at least several times since 2005.

That is true and the news is that the company is being sold. The question is whether new owners will right the ship or take it all offshore to The Philippines or something.

If the unions are too oppressive and expensive you can bet that the Ch. 11 is a way to move away from them. That's what Schwinn did. They were in Chicago and the next thing they were in bankruptcy moving to China with new owners. Creditors and unions were left in the dust while the name went overseas and shipped back junk. The junk sells too, btw because a lot of people don't know the difference. (When the assets of a company are sold in bankruptcy the name/trademark is one of them.)

How long could Colt live off its name if the guns were made in The Phils? If they did that I'd add $100 to the value of every Colt I own that was made in the USA.

Cheers

Mine would become priceless! LOL!!!
Gunner is absolutely right about Schwinn, but I'm sure that corporate America would spot the essential difference between poor parents, buying they're thirteen year old a new bike and an older more sophisticated firearms buyer!
...........NAWWWWWWW!!!

The unions did it to Winchester, it looks like Colt may have done this all by themselves, piss poor management and flat out greed are to blame here. Are mine going anywhere soon? No, the hand guns will be passed to the son, the AR on the other hand,, well I walked away from them when they went proprietary.
They only cared for the big money contracts and forgot about us, that's on them.

The unions did it to Winchester, it looks like Colt may have done this all by themselves, piss poor management and flat out greed are to blame here..

Ah, someone finally figured this all out. This story is chiefly one of GREED.

The rest of you clearly do not understand what has been done to Colt.

Look, this outcome was the plan of Sciens Capital Management, the current owners of Colt, all along. The day that Sciens bought Colt, the company was then doomed. If anyone has been following their management of Colt, you would know that it was Sciens that loaded Colt up with this huge $500 million in debt. And all the while they did that, they siphoned millions out of the company in exorbitant management fees and distributions.

Folks, this was all planned from the get-go by Sciens. Play the video at the link down below from MSN Money interviewing a stock analyst about this bankruptcy, and he will give you the truth: the problem with Colt is its ownership. Colt has been put through a classic private equity management squeeze. Sciens siphoned all of this money out of the company, and will now sell off what is now left in pieces.

<broken link removed>

Sciens never gave a damn about keeping Colt in business. They simply saw it purely as a lucrative target to rape financially. This is really a major problem, but our government is doing nothing to effectively regulate and control these abuses by private equity companies.

Here is an article from Forbes magazine explaining how private equity firms defraud investors and destroy companies using these tactics. The example story that it has about Buffets Restaurants outlines the exact same abusive practices that Sciens Capital Management has done to Colt:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi...tracting-fees-from-their-portfolio-companies/

Our Federal government has now become so hopelessly corrupt, though, that private equity companies can get away with doing this. Here is another Forbes article outlining how these firms are lining the pockets of our politicians in Washington:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanv...affair-between-politicans-and-private-equity/

Our nation is in such an extremely sad state of affairs. Corruption and Greed now rule our country.

Was there something wrong with the Colt M4's the US Army was getting? I am not protectionist, but I am slightly curious why my tax dollars are now going to FN, a Belgian company, to make M4's, an American rifle.

Was there something wrong with the Colt M4's the US Army was getting? I am not protectionist, but I am slightly curious why my tax dollars are now going to FN, a Belgian company, to make M4's, an American rifle.

FN's been building weapons for our military for a good amount of time. Currently they are built here in the US, by US workers. Looks like they have been producing weapons for the <broken link removed>

All of FN's guns for our military are being built in Columbia, South Carolina by American workers.

At least FN continues to innovate, and produce new guns.

Did you know that Colt blew all of their handgun research and development money on developing a "SMART" handgun? A gun that only gun control advocates wanted?

And have you forgotten the nation-wide boycott of Colt that was organized in 1994, after their then CEO Ron Stewart said that he supported a national permit system for handgun ownership??

Colt has been suffering from bad management for a long time.

Here is a photo of M16A4 rifles at the Columbia FN plant, being made for the Marine Corps:

P1290495-900x601.jpg

And here are some M249 SAW receivers:

P1290480-900x601.jpg

New Winchester Model 70 rifles are now being made in this factory too, since the Winchester factory closed:

P1290213-900x601.jpg

Colt goes Chapter 11 while Ninth Circuit considers carry

The ironic timing of yesterday's confirmation that Colt Defense LLC has filed for Chapter 11, paired with today's hearing on a concealed carry case before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco provides a sad look at where the nation has found itself.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads