JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can't say I'm surprised. Colt, IMO, is/was the GM of the gun industry.

They failed to keep pace with the demands of the market, no doubt they produce a quality weapon, but in the end the AR & 1911 market is so saturated that they didn't have a chance.

Having used their AR rifles and 1911s, I can't say that I would purchase one new when I felt the SA pistols were every bit as good, but hundreds less.
Same with the AR, my mismatched upper/lower no-name rifle was as reliable and accurate as any Colt... Again hundreds less, at minimum.

I can't speak to the revolvers as they were so far out of the average mans price range that I wouldn't even pick one up. But I doubt they were worth all that much more than a SW or Ruger.

They failed to diversify their lineup, failed to add new products, their advertising sucked... The only new thing I'd seen from them was that they sold out their name, putting it on a line of cheap Chinese knives.

I'm sure the Colt brand wont go away and I hope quality doesn't suffer going forward, but the current leadership needs to disappear.

Must be complacency.

It doesn't take a 7 figure contract and an Ivy League MBA to read the gun market and to realize what the name is worth.

If they put out a peacemaker and priced it 10-15% over what Ruger sold the Vaquero for.... They'd have a huge chunk of that market.
If they ran a line if 1911s in the $7-900 range... And marketed it well... They'd be booming.

Afterall these were Colts inventions! Who wouldn't pay just a little more for the Colt over the Ruger or Kimber... Just to have 'the real things???

It kills me to see an American classic being squandered by corporate stooges who probably dont even own a gun.

I live and breathe guns, but I dont think I could tell you what is even in their current lineup?

Sad.

Just pointing out it is "Colt Defense" that is failing, Colt will stick around mostly owned by Massachusetts, the most gun loving state in the entire Union! Interesting!

Now for Remington...

Both Colt and Remington have been the leaders in innovation and customer service, right? No? Then even though they are both legacy companies with great history, they deserve to go away and make room for the newest bunch.

Looks like this is a reorganization of debt relating to the last agreement with their creditors. Nobody is going anywhere, nobody is losing their Job. I have also read that Colt is hiring. While not good news, Colt has survived many such situations in their history.
Time will tell.

I dont know what contracts it even still has with the .gov anymore. I know they lost a big part of the M4 contract to FN which seems to be making alot of our soldiers weapons these days.

Eh! Love the older Colts that I own, especially the H-BAR! But I bought an AR-15 yesterday, a Smith and Wesson! I guess that someone's doing it right, and it's not Colt!

By the by! :s0013:

I saw June 14, 2015 as the date. Where did you see 1992?

When I clicked on your link at the top of the article it says:
Colt's in Bankruptcy Court Filing
By ADAM BRYANT
Published: March 20, 1992

• FACEBOOK
  • TWITTER
  • GOOGLE+
  • EMAIL
  • PRINT
  • REPRINTS
The Colt's Manufacturing Company, whose long and rich history of gun making includes the Colt .45 revolver credited with winning the West, said yesterday that it had filed for bankruptcy court protection.

I dont know what contracts it even still has with the .gov anymore. I know they lost a big part of the M4 contract to FN which seems to be making alot of our soldiers weapons these days.

I think the only one left is for the Marine's Colt
CQBP - Close Quarters Battle Pistol

I am a die hard Colt guy, but I think they did it to themselves. They don't seem to care one rats you know what for the civilian market. They dream of the big military contracts of the past. They have the manufacturing capacity, but don't seem to know how to use it properly because everything seems to be a limited run.

I also wish they would run the Pythons again. I could use one to go with all my Smiths. :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads