JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The first gun I bought when turned 21 (a very long time ago I'm afraid) was a Colt Python with the 6" barrel in the Royal Blue finish. I love this gun and I can shoot a tick off my dogs back with the gun... so sweet. When I bought it used years ago, there was some wear at the muzzle end of the barrel. Its still there and probably a little worse... Even so its not terrible, but noticeable. I have contemplated sending it to Colt for a refinishing job... Has anyone ever done this and if si what were the results? Or am I better off letting it be?

On a Python, leave it be.
Cons: Reduces the value of the gun, if you plan to resell, cost of shipping.
Pros: You can get some trigger and timing work while you're at it, it'll be like new.

In the end, it's your gun to do with as you please.

Colts double actions wear out relatively quick and there are few around that work on the actions. Even Colt has problems with their guys retiring and few left that know how to work on their actions. If you send it back you might want the action worked on and if you rescue it save the Colt letter that proves it was factory work to keep the value up on the gun.

I would go here and ask around before I did anything though, these guys really know Colts,

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php

Thank you gentlemen!

I appreciate the input... I don't see me selling the the gun....I have two grown sons who would end me rather quickly I suspect if I did :eek:

I appreciate the link... I will indeed ask around on the Colt forum.

Funny story: one of my two sons was at a local gun show a year or so back and looking at one of the dealers wares which included a King Cobra. The guy was trying to sell a gun to my son and my son said "well... I don't know... It would kind of be like taking a step backwards since my Dad has a Python at the house already" The guy then tried to convince my son that a Python was over-rated and a King Cobra was just as good as a Python, which of course my son wasn't buying into at all.... Especially after seeing me put 5 shots into the same hole with the gun 30 ft down range just a few weeks before....The dealer's partner was listening to conversation and when it became obvious that the other guys sales technique wasn't working quickly whipped out a business card out, thrust it in my son's hand and said "If your Dad is at all interested in selling that Python, please give him my card".... We all had a good laugh about the whole thing afterwards.

Yeah.. don't want to reduce the value of the gun... That holds true even if re-blued by the factory? I get how it would devalue the gun if I did it in my shop, but I thought that a factory job would if anything enhance the value.

Reality the big dollar collector pieces are new in the box with all the paperwork. If you are thinking of selling it then sell while the price is high. If you are going to keep it until you die then enjoy it with the idea when you leave it to family it will be worth something. Jmo.

Thanks... Yeah maybe I should just let it be I guess... Its a great gun and I enjoy shooting it. I was just thinking it might appreciate in value with a new blue job... Sounds like I was wrong about that though.

I heard that Colt would not do any factory re-finishing anymore, but it I had no reason to investigate it further since I don't have one...:(

Yeah.. don't want to reduce the value of the gun... That holds true even if re-blued by the factory? I get how it would devalue the gun if I did it in my shop, but I thought that a factory job would if anything enhance the value.

A refinish by Colt, that is proven by a Colt Archive letter, will do the least damage to the Python's value. But based on the hundreds of posts I have read on the Colt Forum about refinishing, even a Colt refinish may decrease sale value. But if you have no plans to sell the Python then do what makes you happy. I recently had my 6" Anaconda professionally polished to a high shine. I knew that this might decrease its resale value but I just like shiny guns. ;)

DSCF2316.JPG

Ohhhh..... Shiny!....

Very nice looking.... Yeah I get the whole thing about refinish hurting the value. I collect coins and cleaning or otherwise tampering with coins finish is a sure fire way to destroy the value of the coin... Apparently its the same with firearms. As someone pointed out above, it's not probably really a collectors item in that I don't have the box and paperwork that came with it... they may be around my Dad's place somewhere, but I wouldn't bet on it. Consequently, I am not sure how much difference it makes if I run it through the Colt custom shop... I guess the big difference between coins and guns is that you can't put the luster back on a coin that it had from the factory... I guess that's where I struggle with why putting it though the factory refinish process would devalue the gun... Why is it any different than when it went through the shop during original manufacturing? I'm not saying you're wrong... I just don't understand

Why is it any different than when it went through the shop during original manufacturing? I'm not saying you're wrong... I just don't understand

Just like the coins you mention. It is not the original finish.
To a true collector, original finish is of the utmost important.

One other thought, why not let the gun show it's character? If it's destined to be a family heirloom, don't you think your grandkids would like to wonder what ol Grandad did with it?

Lol.. good point. As for what ole grandpa did with it, my son should be around to tell them.... 5 shots in the same hole at 30 feet. As I finished the last shot, from my son who was about 20 at the time and standing behind me I hear exasperated voice "Really? ?!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top