JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2013 Socom has a 16" barrel and does not have government roll marks on the port door side.

later Socom has 14.5" barrel and gov roll marks.

I own a 2013.. it's a Safe queen for now;)

Later version is more desirable to cloners that want the gov roll mark (although "real" M4A1's do not have roll marks on the port door side, so neither one is exactly "clone correct"
they only made the 2013 for 1 year so it is Pretty scarce.

As for shoot ability 2013 is hands down more desirable... the barrel does not have M203 cuts either, and that extra 2" makes it one of the most accurate barrels colt ever made... has 1-7 twist so it will handle the m262 and other heavier rounds much better than the 16"HBAR which is 1:9...

If you can get your hands on either one it's a solid investment. IMO among the most collectible factory M4's out there.

My 2013 next to standard 6920
CEF64166-5FDD-4E76-AC53-CF4F2875CF8E.jpeg

Last Edited:
As someone's only AR, not as collectable but as their only shooter, would you say the 2013 is a good choice or would you get something else?
Great choice as an only AR/shooter. It's basically a factory upgraded 6920.
If you are in the market for a top tier factory AR, and can find one at a decent price... especially right now, I wouldn't think twice.
Collectibility and value retention are an added bonus.

Great choice as an only AR/shooter. It's basically a factory upgraded 6920.
If you are in the market for a top tier factory AR, and can find one at a decent price... especially right now, I wouldn't think twice.
Collectibility and value retention are an added bonus.

What are your thoughts socom vs non? I the only difference furniture?

The barrel is the most important and defining part of any AR15... that would be the biggest/main difference. The internal parts are the same...although they did put an H2 buffer in the Socom also.
Everything else ..KAC rail($200,) MaTech sight($75)side sling swivel($50) just jewelry you can get aftermarket easy enough.

Nice jewelry though.

The barrel is the most important and defining part of any AR15... that would be the biggest/main difference. The internal parts are the same...although they did put an H2 buffer in the Socom also.
Everything else ..KAC rail($200,) MaTech sight($75)side sling swivel($50) just jewelry you can get aftermarket easy enough.

Nice jewelry though.

Thank you for the info. The 2013 LE non-SOCOM version (model number ends MP-B) I'm looking at has the 16" 1-7 twist chrome lined bore barrel. Sounds the same as you describe for the 2013 SOCOM, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Apologies to the OP if this discussion seems off topic from your original question. So many versions it seems relevant. Good luck in your decision.

OK, this guy is perhaps one of the best experts on the Colt family of rifles/carbines that were based on the AR-15 platform.
Get some popcorn, this vid is almost an hour long, it's part 2 of a series, and it deals with the SOCOM series.
I highly recommend all his vids if you want to get into the whole history behind the AR-15/M-16.

I have an LE6920 Magpul Edition FDE that came configured with a Troy Industries handgaurd that i bought from a member here. It is specified 2013 config* on the box. Any significance there or is it only the SOCOM model?

I have an LE6920 Magpul Edition FDE that came configured with a Troy Industries handgaurd that i bought from a member here. It is specified 2013 config* on the box. Any significance there or is it only the SOCOM model?
Your question is not entirely clear to me. So here is my best guess.

The key difference is the barrel. Socom barrels tend to be more accurate, not because of length, but because they are significantly thicker under the handguards, making them stiffer than the standard, thinner barrel profile like the one on your 6920.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top