JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Cylinder locks tight with hammer back but can easily be turned to left with hammer down, is this a serious problem? If so, what are possible repair costs I would be be looking at? And is this a problem that should have been disclosed by the seller?

I thank all responders in advance.

When the trigger is pulled and held as if you were firing it, does the cylinder remained locked? or ?? Also a little more info on the pistol would be great... what vintage Colt? cal? is it a Python?

Some old H&R pistols functioned like you describe, but not Colts!

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful. In answer to the Velzey question re: vintage, the S/N indicates 1915 as year of production, a 1st issue police positive special in 32/20. And when the trigger is pulled either in SA or DA, and held in the rearward position the cylinder does remain locked.

gunnails: I purchased off of Gunbroker.com and it does have a three day inspection period. I did not have the opportunity to inspect before purchase.

Cougfan2: I will ask to return to seller for refund as it has three day inspection period.

Billdeserthills: I will be asking for refund.

Ok it does sound like a weak or broken bolt spring (as oa98 mentions). Not to hard to replace, but to have a smith do it would be $75

I would ask for a partial refund to cover the cost for repair, or just get a full refund and find another!

oa98pistol512:

I just now opened the envelope containing the seller's FFL and invoice and found a spring like device about 1 1/2" long that looks something like a Christmas tree ornament attachment with a loop on one end and the other end bent down at a 90 degree angle about one half inch from the end. Also found in the bubble wrap accompanying the firearm was a spring like device of a heavier gauge about one inch in length that also has a 90 degree bend running about 2/8ths of a inch that then bends again 90 degrees to run parallel to the open end with a loop at the end.
i have now found a diagram of the Colt Police Positive Special in a Numrich catalog, but see no spring that comes close to my description of two spring like devices found in envelope with invoice or in bubble wrap. What is the name of the spring you mention?
Thanks

That should definitely not be happening. Have seen a number of problem Colts incluidng a Python and a few Smiths - speaking only of the better quality DA guns. If you're not familiar with the internals, I'd get a qualfied person to look at it. Might also ask the seller what the bag of spare parts was for.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top