JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked this up last weekend at the WAC Gun Show; It's a Colt DiamondBack 2-1/2" 38 SPL

I just checked the serial number ( D120* )and it shows it's a first production year 1966 one of the first 200 made! I'm not sure how much it's worth due to condition but I'm excited none the less and can't wait to have my gunsmith check it out so I can go shoot it. I picked it up for $200.

It appears at some time in the past, probably the guy I bought it from that it was stripped and parkerized. I'm not sure if I should keep it that way or have it re blued, or try another finish. The parkerizing looks like a decent job, at least as good as the ones I've done but I love blue guns even with rust!

I don't care about reselling this or how much money I can make it worth... just want it to last and not rust anymore, and be a good carry piece in the backwoods without having to worry about scratching or dinging it. I just need to find a good strong side right hand carry holster for it.

Anyone know of which modern revolver holsters I should look at?

The wearing and pitting is most severe on the left side. Not sure if the grips are new or not. They look in remarkable shape to me if they are original so I don't think they are. I removed them and they have some numbers written on them in black ink looks like 1030 to me? Sorry no pics.

The right side doesn't look so bad but it's still hard to read - Colts PT F.A. MFG. Co.

I tried to get the best angle of the light so you can read - Diamondback 38 Special CTG

Serial Numbers Match first year of production 1966 serial numbers started at D1001 this one is D120*

Really too bad, the Diamondbacks had that Colt blue that looked like wet black chrome, just an amazing finish, they don't make 'em like that anymore as far as I know.
Wish I'd kept mine. :(

It's experiences like this (I wish I'd never sold...) that has caused me to resolve to never sell another gun. I bet you miss that Python!

I've seen that wet black chrome type blue on some Colt Gold Cups too, dating back to the '80's or thereabouts. It must have been partially done with a very high polish on the white metal before bluing.

i have an amazing finnish on colt 38 snubbie 1st eddition dating from 1920s-1946
cant tell when it eas made only first edition from those years