JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
I have here a Colt D.A. 38 long colt 4inch barrel and 50rds of Remington 38spl and 25rds of hornaday defense hollow points ive had good luck with this gun but decided go in i different direction so im selling it its not in perfect condition it has some wear on it i have put about 30rds through it myself and had no jams or problems with this gun im looking to get $279 OBO im open to trades for other firearms aswell

Pictures are here -

0207122352a.jpg
0207122352.jpg
0207122349a.jpg
0207122350.jpg
0207122349.jpg

From looking at your pictures, it looks to me like you have the Model 1892 Colt Army or Navy or one of its later variants (check the writing on the top of the barrel and see what that says in terms of patent dates). This piece typically chambers the .38 Long Colt cartridge (as well as .41 and other offerings).

This .38 Colt Long cartridge is NOT the same as the ordinary .38 Special cartridge that we all are all familiar with.

Look to see if your piece to see if it is marked .38 Special. The photos you present do not show the cartridge designation which should be stamped on the left side of the barrel. So I cannot see what you can see. If it says:

"Colt .38 DA"

then,

It is almost certain that your Colt is chambered for the .38 Long Colt and not for the .38 Special.

While you may have fired the 38 Special in it so far without mishap, unless your particular piece is of the very last produced, (made after 1905), it is more than likely that your revolver if not safe to fire using modern .38 Spl ammunition, and, as such, poses a clear and present danger of severe injury to anyone using .38 Special ammo. Even if it is of later vintage, the metalurgy of the time might not support the pressures of .38 Spl loads, depending on the specific load.

Believe me, I am not trying to crap on your thread or otherwise trying to interfere with your ability to sell your Colt. I offer my comments in the spirit of safety, both for you and for any potential buyer.

Although I do own a Colt Model 1892, I do not consider myself an expert in Colt revolvers and I do admit to the possibility that I might be wrong.

For more specific "internet advice" I recommend the guys over at the Colt Forum as many have considerable expertise compared to someone like me.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.