JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always been a Colt AR fan, they're the TDP holder after all. I've seen various issues with both LE and CR models over the years but they've all been solid otherwise. I decided to finally own another Colt and picked up the new CR6960, their famed and only mid-length gas AR. The CR is slightly downgraded from the LE but still features an excellent handguard. My particular example has the laser engraving in lieu of rollmarks, but interestingly the upper is still cage coded via roll mark unlike most CR models. All the parts are very nice regardless of their source, the carrier is "C" marked and the bolt is laser engraved "MPC." Colt still individually tests each bolt.

The fit and finish is good with minor dents and scrapes as is typical Colt. The handguard is almost perfectly fitted, but the rails have a few finish defects (Cerro forging, I've seen more defects on these). The barrel is perfectly centered in the rail, all the staking is perfect, and the interior receiver surfaces are impeccable. Upper and lower wobble is present, more than I'd like but nothing major. After 500 rounds of fire, mostly steel case Wolf, I've encountered zero issues. I'd say pick one up while you can, they're very basic but you do get the TDP spec with nice parts and a good rail as well as future resale value and a very good 4150 chrome lined barrel that's accurate and durable.

20220318_213305.jpg

Looks nice, I'm not a Colt guy but I can appreciate their following.

Last Edited:
You say it's downgraded from the LE models. Care to expand on that?
Colt has always outsourced some parts production but the CR models have even less in-house produced parts. Gone are most of the C markings and cage codes and the roll marks are now pretty cheap looking laser engravings. The LE6960 had a slightly nicer rail (same company) that had more weight relieving holes and integrated qd cups.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top