JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Colt Commando has always been one of my favorite looking rifles. Obviously I'll never have a real one, nor a full auto copy of one, but I'd like to put together an AR-15 that looks like one. I've done a little research and know that I need a fixed carry handle upper. The originals didn't have the forward assist, but I want it in my build. I'm against going for an SBR because I don't think I should have to pay $200 based on my barrel length, and I want to be able to do what I please with the rifle. That being said, I think the best option is to go with an 11.5" barrel, with a pinned 5.5" XM-177 style flash suppressor. This doesn't give me exactly what I want, but it's still pretty cool.

Do you guys have any advise on this? Anybody on here done this type of build before?

The Colt Commando has always been one of my favorite looking rifles. Obviously I'll never have a real one, nor a full auto copy of one, but I'd like to put together an AR-15 that looks like one. I've done a little research and know that I need a fixed carry handle upper. The originals didn't have the forward assist, but I want it in my build. I'm against going for an SBR because I don't think I should have to pay $200 based on my barrel length, and I want to be able to do what I please with the rifle. That being said, I think the best option is to go with an 11.5" barrel, with a pinned 5.5" XM-177 style flash suppressor. This doesn't give me exactly what I want, but it's still pretty cool.

Do you guys have any advise on this? Anybody on here done this type of build before?
Years ago did EXACTLY what you're wanting to do here because I was all paranoid of getting into Class III. Talk about spinning my wheels, never happy with the build until I finally got my Form 1 back and "did it right."

Advise? Nut up and register a receiver! Make it a good one, not some no-name POS as you're probably going to have this SBR for the rest of your life. In ten years or whatever you'll be kicking yourself if its some piece of junk DPMS or whatnot. If you want "real" retro, start with an NDS receiver not cheap (especially with the current super low prices on AR stuffs), but super cool retro. Guess it all just depends on how bad you want this and how far you're willing to go. Once you do one, you'll wonder why its taken you so long to figure out you should have been doing it all along.

Some folks will denigrate Olympic Arms, but I greatly enjoyed the one I bought in the early '90s. It was a decent range gun, which is what I bought it for, and used it for.

It was the precursor to their K3B-CAR, which is a semi-auto clone of the XM177E2. http://www.olyarms.com/shop/rifles/ar-15-carbines-16/k3b-car.html

That may be close enough for what you want.

I have owned this exact gun for 18 years. It looks badass and works great. I have a slide fire stock on it now and it is my zombie killer.

f2e610b4e5b0576cdd93e5206df27091_zps9dbda6b4.jpg

Years ago did EXACTLY what you're wanting to do here because I was all paranoid of getting into Class III. Talk about spinning my wheels, never happy with the build until I finally got my Form 1 back and "did it right."

Advise? Nut up and register a receiver! Make it a good one, not some no-name POS as you're probably going to have this SBR for the rest of your life. In ten years or whatever you'll be kicking yourself if its some piece of junk DPMS or whatnot. If you want "real" retro, start with an NDS receiver not cheap (especially with the current super low prices on AR stuffs), but super cool retro. Guess it all just depends on how bad you want this and how far you're willing to go. Once you do one, you'll wonder why its taken you so long to figure out you should have been doing it all along.

Agreed.

And if you really want a Colt Commando, you can buy a real one - Colt 6933

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/LawEnforcement/Products/ColtM4Commando.aspx

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR