Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Colt Combat Commander

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by coltnewbie, Dec 2, 2011.

1. coltnewbie

coltnewbie earth New Member

Hi, I've been trying to read on the Colt Combat Commander and is now confused. Is there such a thing as a Colt Combat Commander MkIV series 70 or 80? or should a Combat Commander only be called a combat commander regardless if it was manufacture in 1970 or 1980? Hope someone here can enlighten me....:confused:

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Found on the net:

Shortly after the Second World War, the United States Government began sponsoring a series of tests to find a new pistol to replace the Colt M1911A1. One of the key requirements dictated at the time was that the pistol was not to exceed 7.0 inches in length or 25 ounces in weight. These tests were conducted at Aberdeen Proving Grounds as well as at Fort Benning, Georgia. The pistols submitted at this time were the S&W M39, the Colt Commander, a modified Inglis Hi Power, a FN Hi Power and the T3 trial pistol, all chambered in 9mm Parabellum. Proposed at the end of 1949, the Commander was intended to fill a military need for a lighter handgun which would be issued to officers. None of these pistols were selected for the Armed Forces during this round of tests, but Colt wisely decided to go forward with commercial production of the Commander and it proved itself to be a popular and successful design. It was available in several chamberings including the 9mm Parabellum, .45 ACP and the .38 Super. Prior to 1970, Commander frames were made in a light aluminum alloy, called "Coltalloy®". It was the first time that any name-brand auto pistol manufacturer had used an aluminum frame in a regular-production big-bore gun. Another first for the Commander was that it was the first Colt 1911 designed specifically with the 9mm Parabellum cartridge in mind. In 1970, an all-steel version was introduced under the name of "Combat Commander". From 1970 on, the Commander was referred to as the “Lightweight Commander.” Colt has continued to build Commander-style pistols through its successive design permutations. The Gold Cup, MKIV Series 80, M1991A1, and XSE series have all included Commander and Lightweight Commander models.

3. coltnewbie

thanks jbett!

4. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

5. coltnewbie

Does anyone in here know where I can check the serial number of a commander? (70SC 789311) thanks!

6. wichaka

That number seems pretty high, I can't recall seeing a satin nickel Combat Commander with 6 digits after the prefix...but I aint seen them all.

I would guess the early 80's...off the top of my head...81-82...possibly 83

7. coltnewbie

I noticed that too...I think the sixth digit was added for whatever reason..btw, would I be able to tell if the barrel was replaced? what signs/ markings do I look for?

8. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Serial Number Data

Although it may not go new enough for this handgun, it's still a very interesting site.

9. coltnewbie

does the original combat commander have an ambi safety?

10. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

Negative

11. crossbow

crossbow yakima New Member

Looking to buy a colt 38 super comander if any for sale?

12. wichaka

Sorry I never got back to you about the barrel/markings question.

Generally Colt barrels, in in your year of production will have Colt marked on the chamber. The barrel itself will be all blued, except for the chamber.

But as always, pics help.