JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided I really like the Colt Combat Commanders. What is a reasonable price to pay for one, blued? Is there anything special I should know about them? Do they function well out of the box?

I love the look of them, especially the hammer and the straight slide serrations.

Colt has been putting out some great pistols recently. I plan on ordering the Combat Elite in a few weeks when I sell my 1991. I'm buying online from grabagun, best prices around.

The only thing to consider, is if the gun has an ambi safety or not, I honestly don't remember.

I have been toying with buying a Colt Commander myself. I have a 1991A1 and a newer Series 70 but feel like I need a little brother for them. An older 9mm would also be cool. I guess Colt will be releasing 9MM versions of their 1911s pretty soon.

Last Edited:
I've posted this before, but this is the test target from Wilson Combat after they did work on my 1991. The only work that they did for accuracy was the barrel bushing, and the small amount from slide to frame fit, which doesn't impact accuracy very much.

IMG_20140604_101838_zpsee22d3b6.jpg

I've owned a Series 70 Combat Commander 45 brushed steel frame/slide since 1978. An ambi safety was an option when I bought it, but did not get it. Was my off-duty firearm until I retired in 2006 and bought my SW 4006 service firearm. The 40 has became my carry weapon most of the time. Still carry the 45 sometimes though. Always carried the 45 in Condition 1. No negligent discharges. Had a department range officer state once that a firearm cannot go off all alone by itself, therefore no accidental discharges. Negligent ones yes, because somebody did something.

I've had this sawed off 1911 in 9mm ffor quite a while, and have a newer blued one in .45 but don't find a photo of it. It's blued too. They're like twins.

a few months ago I sold the best one though - it was a 1952 LW Commander that went for $1500.

I liked commanders until I found a Colt CCO - commander slide on LW officer frame. At the cost of one round capacity it makes for a much easier carry, and doesn't look like a swed off GM, just a littler one.

1CombatCommander1.jpg

9mm_wallpaper_41.jpg

cco3.jpg

For many years my early 70s, Colt Combat Commander in .45 was my EDC. I bought it used in about 85 for as memory serves $450, which was a lot for me at the time. It then spent several months with Wayne Novak (before Wayne Novak was cool) to have the full treatment. It was and still is the finest piece of mechanical anything that I own. I'm not sure you would find a bone stock 70s Combat Commander for less than a grand these days.

I love the balance and the way the commander length pistols feel in my hand and they have always carried well for me in a Ted Blocker LFI rig. Sadly, because of arthritis in my hands my favorite pistol is now retired.

These days I still carry a 1911 but in the form of a 9mm Springfield EMP which is a little easier to conceal and much easier on my hands.

I've decided I really like the Colt Combat Commanders. What is a reasonable price to pay for one, blued? Is there anything special I should know about them? Do they function well out of the box?

I love the look of them, especially the hammer and the straight slide serrations.
I have a series 80 from about 1982. I've owned it since new. Out of the box it was a bit stiff and needed to be broken in some. I had an adjustable trigger installed and ramped it myself. It is a TACK-DRIVER! It has stove-piped a couple times but that was years ago. It is now semi-retired as my current carry piece is a Kimber ultra carry, which is much smaller and lighter. Mine is "Colt Guard" satin nickel and is still beautiful after all these years. If I had to sell guns that would be the last one to go. Buy one. You won't be sorry.

I just picked up a Government Colt XSE, the enhanced model. I didn't have it out of the box 10 minutes when I took it to my gunsmith to have the trigger worked on and the ambi-safety replaced with a single side safety. The trigger was close to 8#s, not acceptable.

I may have been expecting too much as I was comparing it to my Dan Wesson VBOB commander.
I expect to keep it for a long time so I can wait a few more weeks till it comes home. After all it is a Colt.

My suggestion is get it. They all need a bit of love out of the box.
Will

Is there anything special I should know about them? Do they function well out of the box?
If you find an older flat top slide and ever want to upgrade to Trijicon night sights the ones listed for the commander on Trijicons website do not work you have to use the officers sights. (Same for the govt flat tops...)

Never a jam since 97....

Last Edited:
For many years my early 70s, Colt Combat Commander in .45 was my EDC. I bought it used in about 85 for as memory serves $450, which was a lot for me at the time. It then spent several months with Wayne Novak (before Wayne Novak was cool) to have the full treatment. It was and still is the finest piece of mechanical anything that I own. I'm not sure you would find a bone stock 70s Combat Commander for less than a grand these days.

I love the balance and the way the commander length pistols feel in my hand and they have always carried well for me in a Ted Blocker LFI rig. Sadly, because of arthritis in my hands my favorite pistol is now retired.

These days I still carry a 1911 but in the form of a 9mm Springfield EMP which is a little easier to conceal and much easier on my hands.

Yes
I had 5in 1911's and still do, got my 1st CMD sized one about a year ago and LOVE THE BALANCE of it.

It's a Para LTC and in 9mm, my Gal likes it also over the full size. Just got a S.S. ruger in 45acp and CMD size and even tho it's heavier it sill has that Balanced feel .

Love them both. But I LA

Also have a 9mm EMP and find it has become my EDC.

Held a new 19191-A1 Commander yesterday - Perfect on all fronts. Excellent fit and finish and a good trigger (nicer finish than my 2003 1991-A1 .45). Nothing fancy just Basic Colt simplicity and quality - there is a strong force coming from Bend today....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top