JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I broke down and traded for a Colt CCO (yes, it came with the hogue grips, but they felt odd in my hands). The question is: Mine uses a bushing wrench to take down and has kind of a strange looking guide rod. It supposedly came from the Colt Custom shop like this on purchase, but I can't seem to verify this and the manual doesn't cover it. It looks like it should break down like a TRP, but I don't want to mess with it until I know. Anyone ever hear anything about this? It's a 1998 gun. Thanks for the help.

IMG1596.jpg IMG1593.jpg
IMG1594.jpg imagejpeg_0_5.jpg

IMG1596.jpg

IMG1593.jpg

IMG1594.jpg

imagejpeg_0_5.jpg

It's a two piece guide rod. You unscrew it with a hex wrench, then take that piece out the front. Then disassemble the rest like normal if I recall correctly. I'm sure you can find a Youtube video on the subject.

By the way, nice gun.:s0155:

I was hoping it was something like that. I just didn't want to end up breaking the dange thing. Thanks, I'll just pretend it's a TRP, then...lol

I'll take a stab at it...that doesn't look like anything that Colt would use.

That's what I initially thought, then I came across a thread from a person with a Colt CCO that was having the same issue. I know they use two piece guide rods (it's an option on their custom pricelist), but I didn't think they came out of the box with them. Still, the 1998 CCO is supposed to be a hand fitted gun (albiet in an era where they were outsourcing with caspian) so I'm wondering if it was maybe a pre order option. Guess I'll find out more when I call on Monday. At least Colt keeps good records and has good customer sefvice.

Just watched a You Tube video on how to remove a two piece guide rod.
Very simple to remove, but what advantage does it give the pistol over the standard guide rod?

I have an older Commander that has the alum. frame, and with the full length guide rod in place it functions and sounds much smoother...so I leave it in.

Most guns don't need them. Some think they keep the spring from snaking around inside the frame. But there just isn't that much room for them to do anything but function like are supposed to do.

I have another 1911 that has the two piece guide rod and it's a Springer. Actually this is only the 3rd 1911 I've ever owned and, as a Colt, I'd just assumed that it had a full length rod. I read the Gunsite CCO came with a two piece rod but I know this isn't one. I'll repost after talking to colt tomorrow. My first experience owning this platform was with an EMP 40 which was bushingless. The only other one I've had was the TRP which, quite frankly, is so well put together that it probably doesn't make much of a difference whether it has a two piece rod or not.
That being said, I like this little Colt. It has a bit more movement in the slide than my other two, but it just kind of "feels better" if that makes any sense at all. I'm sure it will make some collectors cringe, but I picked her up to be a CCW and a shooter.
I appreciate all the help with this. I'm fairly new to the platform and, sadly, was never very mechanically inclined in the first place. The very first time I cleaned my TRP I'd managed to launch that plug into one of three rooms (and out of my life forever). Maybe that's a new 1911 owner right of passage or something.

Well, the fine folks at Colt verified that it's a 98 CCO and that it's "possible" that a few may have made it out with two piece guide rods and that, for a scant $100, their archivist would be more than happy to research this and provide any documentation...lol

That being said, I like this little Colt. It has a bit more movement in the slide than my other two, but it just kind of "feels better" if that makes any sense at all. I'm sure it will make some collectors cringe, but I picked her up to be a CCW and a shooter.
Colts are made a little loose so that they will run dirty. The reliability you will get outweighs any accuracy you might lose. Tight *** slide to frame fit is over rated imho.

Colts are made a little loose so that they will run dirty. The reliability you will get outweighs any accuracy you might lose. Tight *** slide to frame fit is over rated imho.
Y'know, it's funny. I had actually put this little gun up for sale last night (Although I partially blame the 14 hour work day). Reading that kind of reminded me why I picked her up in the first place. It's a .45 handgun that is so comfortable in a holster that I forget I'm wearing it and she ALWAYS goes bang. Thanks for reminding me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top