JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I traded for this rifle last year. I've tried my best to find out it's value. I've been told that it was from the AWB in the 90's that's why it's stamped with the LEO. I've found that some new Colts come with these markings today. No help from searching the serial number through Colts site or google. Done as much homework as I can but have hit a dead end. Hopefully an AR veteran will chime in and let me know what I got exactly. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I would say you have about an 800 too 900 gun, depending on who wants it that day,
The Colt, is a mid tier gun. Entry level guns are about a 600 700 range. Hi end, well, the sky is the limit. Colt will always be a known commodity. Hope this helps.

Only there cause the AWB. They just kept making them with that marking for a while even after the AWB ended. I think they stopped somewhere past 2010? I can't remember.

Its says restricted that means it was a ban era law enforcement only . That means only law enforcement and military could own that rifle. However even after the sunset colt still sold them marked that way (but any one could legally buy them at that time) for a while before removing the Restricted marking . with that marking it was NOT a pre AWB it was either during or shortly after.

A civilian during the ban could however buy that upper provided they did not instal it to a postban receiver.

you can call colt to get the exact manufacture month and year . They have very good records and will look it up if you call them.

Definitely ban era lower at least, rh mil/Leo w/ big pins are the first giveaway. Pop her open and see if she has an awkward looking lower milling, with much more material as compared to standard milspec lowers, Colt would use these to ensure full auto was not capable on that lower, may also have a metal "wedge" stuck in the lower necessitating the bolt be cut at the rear not allowing a full auto sear to operate. Both additional signs of ban era lowers.

As for the upper I have seen some "new" colts being sold with the ban era lower on a post ban bayoneted upper in the past.

Price wise it is worth more parted out. Near the $400+/- mark for the lower stripped on the current gun broker lowers that sell. In today's current can't give away an AR market it is around the $900 mark. Come November the sky may be the limit. As stated earlier "Colt" will bring a higher price than a similar rifle due to brand equity, especially with new buyers and collectors.

Just noticed as well the takedown pins do not appear to be the same, maybe the lighting? It also has an aftermarket (KAC?) Trigger guard and so it has definitely had at least small modifications done to it and may not be using stock components elsewhere which will also effect the value.

Last Edited:
I would wait closer to the election and part the thing out. You can place the complete lower on gunbroker, start the auction at a penny. I would say the value is $350-$400 for the lower. Not as big of deal as it once was, except for small few who may want the roll mark. Other than that it's a used gun.

Here's a good reference for Colt SP-1 serial numbers

Year Serial Number Range
1963 SP00001-SP00023
1964 SP00101
1965 SP02501
1966 SP05600
1967 SP08250
1968 SP10750
1969 SP14000-SP14653
1970 SP15001-SP15473
1971 SP16001
1972 SP19401
1973 SP24201
1974 SP32601
1975 SP43801
1976 SP55301
1977 SP67651
1978 SP83400
1979 SP96401
1980 SP112801
1981 SP134601
1982 SP158201

sleekLines_blue.gif View attachment 294946

I was kind of hoping you come back with a 2 or 3 digit one. those early 63-64s are worth a whole lot of money

I love those early colt Ar15s . you know what I always say is if it does not say "Ar15" on the side of it, it's just a clone

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top