JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 1983 Colt AR .223. My wife and I went out and we shot it for the first time. I'm wondering if there is a problem with it. The buffer spring was really loud. It just didn't seem right. If it matters I had a suppressor on it.
Thanks for any info.

Some buffer spring noise is normal. Subjective sound level. I do not know if running a can would make the buffer spring noise worse ... or less. The A1 rifle buttstocks tended to make more spring noise than the CAR collapsible stocks. The A2 rifle buttstock less. The reduced muzzle blast running a can might make the spring sound more noticeable.

Try shooting without the can. Compare the BOUNG BONG ZING ZING! :)

I agree with above. Suppressed, you'll likely hear it more.

Perfectly normal. All AR15s have this to some extent.

You can replace the spring with many available aftermarket options that will quiet it up.

Lube the spring and tube generously with neverseeze and that will cut down the spring twanging sound considerably.
It's no fun to clean up down the road, but it is effective.

Lube the spring and tube generously with neverseeze and that will cut down the spring twanging sound considerably.
It's no fun to clean up down the road, but it is effective.

I've done that too. Along with a quality buffer kit it helps tremendously.

I have a 1983 Colt AR .223. My wife and I went out and we shot it for the first time. I'm wondering if there is a problem with it. The buffer spring was really loud. It just didn't seem right. If it matters I had a suppressor on it.
Thanks for any info.
The AR series/type rifles all sound like electric pogo-sticks. Disconcerting, sounds cheesy, but harmless. Took me awhile to get used to and selectively tune it out.

JP Enterprises makes a "Silent" Buffer system that pretty much eliminates the twang!
Most A-1 and A-2 stocks really magnify the sound of the spring, so it really helps, the collapsible stocks don't make as much noise, but still noticeable!
The grease trick does work, but makes a nasty mess and will collect powder fowling, dust, dirt, and other nastiness, so I don't recommend doing it!

Some buffer spring noise is normal. Subjective sound level. I do not know if running a can would make the buffer spring noise worse ... or less. The A1 rifle buttstocks tended to make more spring noise than the CAR collapsible stocks. The A2 rifle buttstock less. The reduced muzzle blast running a can might make the spring sound more noticeable.

Try shooting without the can. Compare the BOUNG BONG ZING ZING! :)

My first thought was it must be an A1 stock, it is the only one I really notice without trying.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top