Colt AR question

flybynyt

Reactions
I have a 1983 Colt AR .223. My wife and I went out and we shot it for the first time. I’m wondering if there is a problem with it. The buffer spring was really loud. It just didn’t seem right. If it matters I had a suppressor on it.
Thanks for any info.

Reactions
Some buffer spring noise is normal. Subjective sound level. I do not know if running a can would make the buffer spring noise worse ... or less. The A1 rifle buttstocks tended to make more spring noise than the CAR collapsible stocks. The A2 rifle buttstock less. The reduced muzzle blast running a can might make the spring sound more noticeable.

Try shooting without the can. Compare the BOUNG BONG ZING ZING! :)

Reno

Reactions
I agree with above. Suppressed, you’ll likely hear it more.

Perfectly normal. All AR15s have this to some extent.

You can replace the spring with many available aftermarket options that will quiet it up.

jbett98

Reactions
Lube the spring and tube generously with neverseeze and that will cut down the spring twanging sound considerably.
It's no fun to clean up down the road, but it is effective.

I have a 1983 Colt AR .223. My wife and I went out and we shot it for the first time. I’m wondering if there is a problem with it. The buffer spring was really loud. It just didn’t seem right. If it matters I had a suppressor on it.
Thanks for any info.
The AR series/type rifles all sound like electric pogo-sticks. Disconcerting, sounds cheesy, but harmless. Took me awhile to get used to and selectively tune it out.

JP Enterprises makes a "Silent" Buffer system that pretty much eliminates the twang!
Most A-1 and A-2 stocks really magnify the sound of the spring, so it really helps, the collapsible stocks don't make as much noise, but still noticeable!
The grease trick does work, but makes a nasty mess and will collect powder fowling, dust, dirt, and other nastiness, so I don't recommend doing it!

titsonritz

Reactions
Some buffer spring noise is normal. Subjective sound level. I do not know if running a can would make the buffer spring noise worse ... or less. The A1 rifle buttstocks tended to make more spring noise than the CAR collapsible stocks. The A2 rifle buttstock less. The reduced muzzle blast running a can might make the spring sound more noticeable.

Try shooting without the can. Compare the BOUNG BONG ZING ZING! :)
My first thought was it must be an A1 stock, it is the only one I really notice without trying.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
Top Bottom