Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Colt Anaconda

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Oregonhunter5, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

I see some colts in the classifieds here that are really expensive. So I wanted to see who knows much about the prices. I have a used, but in good shape Anaconda. What's it worth?
    Thanks.

2. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

Blue / SS? Box? Original hardware? Year of mfg (or s/n) ? Wear n tear?

Or you can go onto Gunbroker, find one similar to yours and see what people are asking for their's.

Finally, I read something fairly profound regarding these Colts: "A Colt revolver isn't like a vintage bottle of wine where the year is an indication of good or bad. Each revolver must be handled, felt and manipulated to know it's quality. Each revolver, regardless of the year it was made, rests upon it's own merits."

3. Oregonhunter5

Stainless. Wish it wasn't. Aren't all Anacondas ss?
    Box yes.
    Need to check the year.

Normal wear.

My dad has a nickel Python with a 10 inch barrel, and a snub nose barrel. Comes in a wood box.

4. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I paid $420 for mine but it was years ago. I think they might be worth more now:p

5. Oregonhunter5

That was about........ 1988
    I remember that price.

6. 41Slinger

41Slinger Harrisburg Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Their value has gone through the roof, be very careful about your selling price. I've recently seen pythons in the 2 to $5000.00 range, crazy I know, scary amount of money. All the snake guns are high. Have fun.

mjbskwim likes this.
  7. Oregonhunter5

I wanted one since 1988. I won't sell this gun for any amount. My parents got me a smith .357 instead. It's a nice gun. Custom trigger work done, but the colt is fun.

8. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

as a reference: about 4 weeks ago Cabelas Gun Library (Nyberg Rd) had an Anaconda (it's gone now). It had been modified - ported or something - aftermarket. It was priced at $1600 if I remember correctly. Had it not been modified, it probably would go for $1900. Pythons - different universe. The snub Python with original box - I shudder to think what it would list at. Cabelas had one of those too recently - priced at like $3900. It sold. Other 4 and 6" Pythons at Cabelas are $2600 - $3400 range. Maybe we are seeing a Colt snake gun bubble.

9. Oregonhunter5

My dads nickel is dang nice. But, the blued colts are a sweet blue. Truly see blue versus black.

10. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a blue Python - its the royal blue - a deep gloss blue. Buff it up with Renaissance Wax and you can get lost in it.

41Slinger likes this.
  11. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I was born/raised to be a Colt man and have had some very nice examples of Colt's work but these days I only care about pragmatic practical~ness. I have said good by to all my sweet collectables , better to give them-up now before the havoc is 'cried'

12. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Don't know what to advise on selling at current prices.
    They are hot right now!

I wonder myself what my Pythons will bring when I finally sell them years from now?
    Sure there hot now. But I don't need the money.

So I think I will hold out and not sell until the bottom falls out! :s0140:

Oh well. :s0092:
    I can be buried with some nice steel I guess.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Flopsweat and 41Slinger like this.
  13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think that the price is going to remain very high for any snake guns! There will never be more made, it's a fixed number available! I always wanted a 4" Diamond Back. Probably never happen now!:(

14. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Last I checked my Anaconda was $1500-$2500. I'm very fortunate not only because I inherited it from my grandfather, but also because I'll never sell any of the guns he left me.

This means I have to take it out, use it, and enjoy it regardless of market value :rolleyes:

:D

15. Rick4070

Rick4070 Central Oregon coast Active Member

I wonder how much the rare, open topped Anaconda is worth, like this one that came into the shop that I worked at:

blown_up_gun.jpg

16. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Well it's a colt so it should be worth more than this S&W.;)

sw1.gif

mjbskwim, 41Slinger, edslhead and 2 others like this.
  17. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Quite scarring:eek: me!! I just reloaded some casull.

Mikej and Medic! like this.
  18. Rick4070

Rick4070 Central Oregon coast Active Member

Kind of an interesting story on the topless Anaconda, the owner claimed he was using factory ammunition (from the box in the photo). Hard to tell, the cylinder was frozen, and the remaining case heads were hard to see.
    He wanted it fixed under warranty, Colt claimed faulty ammunition, Winchester claimed faulty firearm.
    I'm not sure how it all worked out...

19. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The first couple of years of production, Anaconda's had some issues with accuracy, but the following years were top notch shooters.

20. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

Current Snake gun prices just keep going up. Gotta love it if you own one or some.

OP if you have the box and sleeve and it's in good condition you're looking at $1600 to $2400 IMO.