JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had my Colt 1911 Wiley Clapp 5" 45 ACP for about 5 years now. Got it second hand in a trade on Armslist which is why I'm getting a little worried about what I've been seeing on the slide. If most 1911 slides have this issue please let me know I'm being dumb so I can relax, I've just never noticed it in any of mine before. Also trying to see if I should take it into a gunsmith.

Pictures below, there are multiple imperfections in the metal, little dents, jagged edges and the finish on the inside of the rails wearing out almost like it's flaking off.

1DAD5F4C-836E-4180-8C53-235AFFECF219.jpeg 26587D8F-C2BD-4D9B-A31E-9F855D336C03.jpeg B446EC4F-1354-41A4-A5BF-860EE84A968C.jpeg F7CA8713-7C19-4806-9B11-A4D0B0420DC4.jpeg

You've had it for 5 years and those marks weren't there when you bought it?
What I see is normal machine marks. Maybe some nicks from the previous owner but nothing that would need repair. Take care of that Wiley Clapp, its a special edition and Im not certain they make them in 45acp anymore.

Here is what a "virtually" new Colt Wiley Clapp govt slide looks like. Maybe only a few hundred rounds thru this gun.
0226231750_HDR.jpg

I spent enough time building 1911's that I can say with a fair level of confidence that based on what I can see in the pictures you should do one of the following.
Choose one.
Contact me immediately, I can provide you with a shipping address so you can send it away and end your worries
Or put it back together and spend some quality time at the range with it...

I also believe that those are machine made marks created on the day the slide was manufactured that you have just never noticed previously...
Firearm manufacturers differ in how much polishing and finish work they do on the guns they produce. It takes time to polish those marks away and that often results in guns that cost more. Those machine marks should have none or an imperceptibly small effect on performance.

I've had my Colt 1911 Wiley Clapp 5" 45 ACP for about 5 years now. Got it second hand in a trade on Armslist which is why I'm getting a little worried about what I've been seeing on the slide. If most 1911 slides have this issue please let me know I'm being dumb so I can relax, I've just never noticed it in any of mine before. Also trying to see if I should take it into a gunsmith.

Pictures below, there are multiple imperfections in the metal, little dents, jagged edges and the finish on the inside of the rails wearing out almost like it's flaking off.

View attachment 1373801 View attachment 1373802 View attachment 1373803 View attachment 1373804

That thing looks like a NIB Rolex watch compared to the 1911A1's I sported while in the Army, and none of them ever let me down.

;)

That thing looks like a NIB Rolex watch compared to the 1911A1's I sported while in the Army, and none of them ever let me down.

;)
;) Ohellyes! No worries, it's a 1911... Not big on "commemoratives", I'd just shoot the crap out of it like any other 1911...
If you're not worried about "original" value, do like a lot of guys have over the years and send it off to a good pistol smith and have it tuned and accurised.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top