JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a Colt 1911 that according to the SN was manufactured in 1913 and shipped to the USMC along with 1249 of its friends.

Is this considered a collectors item and would it hold more value in original form or restored?

Im just happy as a clam to have it and I kind of want to shoot it some just to say I have... Should I just keep it in the safe or what? I dont know what to do here... Im torn. I want to respect this piece of firearms history and give it the treatment it deserves. I think if it could talk it would want to be shot... What do you folks think?:confused:

Yes it is considered an antique/collectors item. If you were to refinish it the value would be far less then an original unmolested firearm. Make sure you tear down/inspect the firearm and make sure it's safe to shoot and put a few rounds down the tube every once in a while. I have been wanting one of these for my collection for a long time just have'nt come across one yet.

No reason not to shoot it a little, it's not grandma's teapot. It's a brute! Please don't restore it! Inspect it carefully though! Enjoy it! It's a special piece.

Better yet, let me shoot it. No restoration needed and I'll bring my own ammo. If your gun was shipped to the Marines then it would be very sad for it to end up a safe queen.
Semper Fi
Mike

Thats what I was thinking. Im pretty sure its all original except some moron put rubber grips on it... I didnt even sleep last night. Im almost as happy as the first time I slept with my wife!

Speaking of wife.lol. She seen me whip out my credit card and was like "what are you buying?"
My reply "a collectible piece of history".
Wife "what kind of collectible piece of history?"
Me "Ummm, a Colt".
Wife "YOUR BUYING ANOTHER FREAKING 1911!!"
Me "Muffin, this thing is almost 100 years old. It has probably fought for our country more than once and it truly is a piece of history in original form. Its not only an investment but a blessing and an honor."
Wife "OMG, your a compulsive buyer and a marketers dream. I hope you like it".
Then she smiled and walked away. It was a lot easier than I thought. I should buy antiques more often I guess...

1) unless it's original the whole conversation is moot.

2) If it's original and in good shape I would clean it up and store it properly. DO NOT RESTORE IT!! You can easily turn a $3K gun into a $500 gun this way.

Yes it is considered an antique/collectors item. If you were to refinish it the value would be far less then an original unmolested firearm. Make sure you tear down/inspect the firearm and make sure it's safe to shoot and put a few rounds down the tube every once in a while. I have been wanting one of these for my collection for a long time just have'nt come across one yet.

Theres still a couple on gunbroker circa 1918-19. They are all original I believe. Mine is missing the original grips from what I know so far...

AAAHHHHHH I know! I dont have it in my possession yet. I got it off gunbroker.com so I should have it next week sometime. Then Ill post pics for sure.

I cant find any grips that are that era but I ordered some double diamond woodys for it to replace the rubber crap thats on it now. Im gonna see if I can rob some pics from gb somehow maybe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top