Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

colt 1911 questions

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Knotty, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Knotty

Knotty portland or New Member

hello everyone i just got my hands on a colt 1911 and i have the sereal number off of it and wanted to know what year and what you guys think it might be worth... number is #129413 thanks for the help !

2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here ya go!

Serial Number Data

I'm thinkin there should be a C in front of the serial number, which would place it as 1922. Value is completely dependent on condition. If that's the case and it's nice and hasn't been refinished it should be worth over $1000, maybe 2 grand.

3. Knotty

here are some pics of it if this helps !!

image.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Knotty

here are a couple more

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  5. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looks like a Military Colt 1911 made in 1916-1917. Not in beautiful condition, but still very valuable... Do not attempt to de-rust it or refinish it. It's worth more as is...

I'm far from an expert, but this gun is probably worth $1000-$2000, depending on exact year of production. 1916 guns are worth more than 1917 guns.

Very nice peice of history and should be checked out by someone that really knows their stuff. I'd suggest you contact Colt and get a letter from them.

6. Knotty

do you happen to know anyone around here that is honest ? lol

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Contact colt and get a letter on the gun.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  8. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

A "C" in the serial number indicates a "Commercial" or civilian model. Yours is a Military version.

Off the top of my head, that would put it in 1915...or thereabouts.
    The serial number site posted above is not accurate, but it will get ya close.

The finish appears to original, but can't tell if all the parts are original/correct, would need more pics or lay my hands on it for that.

Collectors are looking for top condition specimens, which yours unfortunately does not fall into.

Depending on the overall condition, inside and out...I would place it around 1,000 maybe a bit more. But no where near the 2,000 mark.

But if you get 2K for it, good for you!

Still a great pistol that I would not change, update or shoot much...if at all.

Also of note, that serial number is shared by about 15 or more other Colt pistol models made in various years.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  9. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

you might run it by John at Shooters' service center on Lombard,he's worked on tons of colts and is pretty knowledgable,could maybe give u a good idea or 2 about it.