JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have this 45 that I purchased from someone about 30+ years ago. Do any of you have any info on this piece? There is NO mention of Gold Cup on it.. only National Match.

I was wondering what the history of this weapon is.. such as build date, etc.. but, IMO, Colt wants too much to look it up. When I type in the S/N nothing comes up.. so, I'm guessing it might be too old?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

All National Match are C&R (curios) on the ATF list, which opens up more of a market for it. For example a California buyer could have their FFL take delivery and transfer it to them because C&R are exempt from the roster.

If you aren't looking to sell then I'd recommend enjoying shooting it every weekend. A nice leather flap holster for the range would make a nice Father's Day gift to yourself.

Here 'tis.. I think the S/N is visible.

1911a.JPG 1911b.JPG 1911c.JPG

I'm prolly a dummy.. but, I don't find the series. Is it likely listed under Gold Cup N.M? If so.. it looks like it's between '68 n '69 However, as mentioned, mine has no mention of Gold Cup engraved on the firearm like the newer ones have.

I'm prolly a dummy.. but, I don't find the series. Is it likely listed under Gold Cup N.M? If so.. it looks like it's between '68 n '69 However, as mentioned, mine has no mention of Gold Cup engraved on the firearm like the newer ones have.

Nope, but if you have the box that went with it, I'll bet it says Gold Cup on it.

Good! Then you'll be less likely to sell it and will shoot it!
Does this have the four finger "collet" barrel bushing? That's a pretty good indicator that's it's an early Gold Cup. Some have reported fingers breaking, but it's pretty easy to replace it with a solid if you're concerned. I loved the one I had, but it was as nice as your's and I was hesitant to use it, which was a shame. I did get a fair amount of money for mine when I sold it. :D
Very nice pistol.

I have the same age pistol and they weren't named Gold Cups till later. These Colt's have a lightened slide and come with a reduced power recoil spring, as they were meant to shoot target loads, not full power ammo.
You can do a lot of damage to it if you don't install a 16 lb recoil spring.
They have a solid barrel bushing, not a 70's series collet bushing and it should have "NM" stamped on the bushing.
There is also a very tiny spring and metal washer installed on the sear stirrup and it's very easy to lose and almost impossible to reassemble. It keeps the sear from jumping off of the hammer contact point, since Colt made this pistol with a very light trigger.

Between $ 900.00 to $1,200.00 depending on condition, still have the original box/papers and how fast you want to sell it.
Vintage Colt collectors are slowly fading away, as the younger generation don't appreciate the quality and craftsmanship.

Colt made a short run of "National Match" pistols in the 60's, which were not Gold Cups.

Still digging up info on this specimen as time allows.

If you decide to shoot it, keep GI rated ball ammo velocities to a minimum and do not run any +P through it. They were designed to run "soft ball" rounds.

Colt made a short run of "National Match" pistols in the 60's, which were not Gold Cups.

Still digging up info on this specimen as time allows.

If you decide to shoot it, keep GI rated ball ammo velocities to a minimum and do not run any +P through it. They were designed to run "soft ball" rounds.

And wad cutters.

Colt Left Side.JPG Colt Right Side.JPG I've taken new photos of the roll markings and will try to enhance them to see if they are more visible. I'm not sure how the roll marks will show up.. I can see them. One side looks sorta like a Superman "triangle" with a T and P joining each other.. and below it looks like a "K". Other side shows a "G". Let's see how they show up here.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads