JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
IMG_5445.JPG I have a early colt 1911 national match and I would like to have a detailed cleaning and a good look over on it. I'm looking for a good competent gun smith that is not going to beat the gun up in the process anybody have recommendations?

Your Colt looks a lot like my Pre Gold Cup 1968 National Match.
Mine was buried in the backyard of a late friend of mine and when I dug up the ammo can it was buried in, I found the pistol with it's wood grips removed and the gun bagged up and covered in a bunch of brown axle grease.
What I didn't know was that there is small metal piece and a really tiny spring wedged between the disconnector and sear.
I found the metal piece, but lost the spring while cleaning off the grease.

This 1911 was my first semi auto pistol and after watching a bunch of You Tube video's, I took it all apart, cleaned everything and managed to get it all back together, except for that weird little metal part.
After a bunch of internet searches, I found out that the two pieces help put some tension on the sear so it won't jump loose and double fire, as these early Colt NM's have very light triggers and reduced weight slides.

It's not recommended shooting normal .45 acp power loads unless you install a heavier 18 lb. recoil spring, instead of the lighter springs (9-12) lbs that are used for truncated wad cutter target ammo.
Look at the diagram (46 & 47) and you'll see the little pieces I'm talking about.

Colt_Oframe_schem.jpg

Last Edited:
View attachment 356411 I have a early colt 1911 national match and I would like to have a detailed cleaning and a good look over on it. I'm looking for a good competent gun smith that is not going to beat the gun up in the process anybody have recommendations?
Velzey has a reputation around these parts for his gun smithing capabilities... Might want to touch base with him...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top