JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any good gun stores in Portland that might stock the Colt 1911 and Colt 70 Series?
One way to look is go here:
Firearms search find buy at galleryofguns.com davidson's Firearms Wholesaler – Firearms Distributor – Gun Wholesaler – Gun Distributor guaranted lifetime replacment warranty
Look up what you want and put in your Zip. They will show you what they have and what it will cost. Using a Portland Zip they show some Colt 70 Series there with your choice of shops.

Better take some smelling salts with you. You'll need it after seeing their prices.
Try Keith's or Advanced Firearm Training in the Gresham area.

Colt 1911 Series 70 pistols have been out of production for a lonnnnnng while.

Is this a trick post?

Aloha, Mark

Colt brought this back a while back along with a LOT of people referring to any 1911 that did not have the anti lawyer pin block as "70 Series". It did not take long after the 80 series hit for many to dislike it. Money talks and other manufacturers started offering what the buyer wanted. On the Colt Site it shows the 70 series is not allowed to be sold in a couple states. Not sure it it's due to the lack of a pin block or if they just never submitted one for the state to OK.

Ok....I see (perhaps) what the OP is getting at (maybe). Sorry, I can't help you, as to where the COLTs are.

So anyway, here we go.....
I have REAL COLT Series 70 pistols that I bought way back when the availability of clone 1911s was very limited. And, Yes, I can remember when the COLT Series 80s pistols were introduced. And I too, didn't like them. In fact, I preferred to buy the used Series 70 pistols over a newer Series 80 pistol. Yup....I stocked up.

BTW.....back then, depending on the GAME......some of us had to do a lot of modifications to our guns. Stuff that today is taken for granted (i.e. relief cut and lowered ejection port, opened mag well, better sights, barrel bushing work, trigger and safety mods, grip mods, etc....).

Today.....a REAL Series 70 pistol will cost you. Is it that much BETTER vs the Series 80? IMHO....yes. And, to a collector.....sure.

As for a NEW Production Series 70...... Whatever dude.

BTW.....the accuracy collet/bushing on the real Series 70s would often break. Yup.....I have first hand knowledge of that. Thus, the standard GI bushing was much better for reliability. However, the standard bushings needed to be fitted for improved accuracy. LOL.....OK, Ok, ok......the entire pistol needed/could have used "better fitting" to get it close to 2700 Match accuracy.

That being said.....IMHO.....a standard Springfield Armory Inc. pistol, would/could be, the basis for a good build. But note that, you'll probably want to be putting in some work (depending on the product #). If your new pistol doesn't already have what you want on it.

While for some people (even to this day).....they may just want to buy a "name brand" pistol and go from there. Whatever, it's a free country.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Ok....I see (perhaps) what the OP is getting at (maybe).

I have REAL COLT Series 70 pistols that I bought way back when the availability of clone 1911s was very limited. And, Yes, I can remember when the COLT Series 80s pistols were introduced. And I too, didn't like them. In fact, I preferred to buy the used Series 70 pistols over a newer Series 80 pistol. Yup....I stocked up.

BTW.....back then, depending on the GAME......some of us had to do a lot of modifications to our guns. Stuff that today are taken for granted (i.e. relief cut and lowered ejection port, opened mag well, better sights, barrel bushing work, trigger and safety mods, grip mods, etc....).

Today.....a REAL Series 70 pistol will cost you. Is it that much BETTER vs the Series 80? IMHO....yes. And, to a collector.....sure.

As for a NEW Production Series 70...... Whatever dude.

BTW.....the accuracy collet/bushing on the real Series 70s would often break. Yup.....I have first hand knowledge of that. Thus, the standard GI bushing was much better for reliability. However, the standard bushings needed to be fitted for improved accuracy. LOL.....OK, Ok, ok......the entire pistol needed/could have used "better fitting" to get it close to 2700 Match accuracy.

That being said.....IMHO.....a standard Springfield Armory Inc. pistol, would/could be, the basis for a good build. But note that, you'll probably want to be putting in some work (depending on the product #). If your new pistol doesn't already have what you want on it.

While for some people (even to this day).....they may just want to buy a "name brand" pistol and go from there. Whatever, it's a free country.

Aloha, Mark

Yep I had a 70 Series I bought new from a place that had decided to get out of the hand gun game. Price was too good to pass. First thing I did was fit a new bushing to it. I had seen some pics in magazines even back then of those collets breaking. Seemed like a stupid idea to me at the time. Have not bothered to look but I assume when Colt brought the 70 back they did not bring that idea back.
Springfield was one of the early runners that started bringing out 1911's that already had the "custom" stuff done at pennies on the dollar to what it cost to have it done. As soon as they did I used to tell interested buyers to think about what they wanted before buying a 1911. To have that stuff done at a Smith was VERY expensive compared to just buying a pistol already done up. The guy making them in the Philippines later jumped on this. First time I saw one of the early ones it was a joke. I noticed the price at a shop on one, seemed too good to be possible. They handed it to me and it felt like a well made toy. A year or so later they had hired some people who knew what they were doing and started cranking out 1911's that had all the bells and whistle's on them and damned if they did not work well. At about half the price.
Terminology on 1911's has long been "sloppy". I have a SA 1911 bought a few years before the "Loaded" line hit. It was some kind of custom job from them. Had a lot of what then was custom done to it factory. When I bought it the guy filling out the paper yells at another, "What it this gun called?" Other guys yells back "It's a 1991 A-1". I just held my self silent and figured don't say anything, just let them fill out the paper so I can take this thing to the range and see how it works. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top