JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just received this Friday...purchased from Schultheis Sporting Goods in NY via GunsAmerica. Colt Model M Type IV in .32 ACP.

ColtModelMTypeIV.jpg

This one was built in 1930 and has a lot of blue left on her. There are a few scratches and dings but overall it does not seem to have been shot very much as the bore is perfect and internal components like hammer and such look almost new. This is a type IV with magazine disconnect and checkered walnut grips. Haven't shot it yet...that'll happen next weekend. Some dork bent the recoil spring at some point reassembling it from field strip but I already had a replacement in the parts drawer as this is pretty easy to do if one is not familiar with the take down of these and gets in a hurry.

Now to find additional mags - the original two tone mag looks almost new.

Thanks for looking.

VooDoo

ColtModelMTypeIV.jpg

I'm not desperate enough to pay $200+ for an original - I purchased a reproduction mag from Numrich last year for $35 and it's works perfectly. Hopefully they'll have them available again and in that case I'll snap up about 3 more.

VooDoo

I'm not desperate enough to pay $200+ for an original - I purchased a reproduction mag from Numrich last year for $35 and it's works perfectly. Hopefully they'll have them available again and in that case I'll snap up about 3 more.

VooDoo

All I'm trying to say is keep track of that $250 original factory magazine.

Roger that. I'm not likely to "lose" or sell the original mags and I thank you sincerely for the heads up. :)

I'm not sure about the Blue Book value of a shoot able Model M that is decently preserved. The price of decent ones seems to be between $550 and $1200 presently....I have researched near 25 pistols in the last couple weeks and settled on the one above. I'm in the market for at least 2 more pistols namely a type 1 and a type 5 that is functionally perfect yet has a destroyed external finish.

Seriously I think that more shooters are looking at .32 and .380 pocket pistols and that the miniature modern offerings seem to stack up a bit short of the classic Model M in terms of functionality.

I suspect the prices of good examples will continue to rise but this is just a guess. I'm buying stuff like mags and such for my spare box as I intend to keep this pistol alive as I think its the next Colt 1911 in this world where more and more folks are carrying concealed and cannot handle a miniature 9mm, .40, or .45. The design is classic and potent.

So, why do you guys think a single original mag can go for nearly $300? Is the 1903 model M *that* collectible now? Are there a significant number of functional guns without mags out there that someone feels justified in spending that kind of scratch on a mag? Or maybe there is a rising demand for spare (2nd, 3rd, 4th) mags for existing Model Ms.....why would this be?

I'm curious as to your opinions as this has not been a seriously collectible pistol warranting these kinds of prices...

VooDoo

I think the original factory mags are getting scarce after 100 years. They aren't attached to the pistol with screws or anything, so they tend to get mislaid and lost. Also, the original mags are very high quality, and can't easily or cheaply be duplicated.

i would settle for a repop mag, are they still available anywhere? my search for them found this thread...i see mention of pro mag?? i looked on their site..i see why the pistol i bought today had no mag...holy cow..but i think im ok i gave $215 for the pistol in really good shape, i remember as a kid my g pa had 1 for ever, so i thought sure i'll try 1..ive checked my serial # & it was made in 1904..but seems that the ...safety pin has been replaced ..also seems they went to a screw sometime during this 1st version..how can i be sure mine is not supossed have a screw & its had a roll pin inserted? it looks like a new roll pin has been inserted here..can i still get the original pin like i see on pics of others?

The '03 Colt is...

A) The one pistol they should've never stopped making

...and...

B) The one pistol they should seriously consider bringing back....in .32 acp, of course.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top