JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shooting Sports Unlimited is just recently under new ownership and I'm thinking the original operators (family?) is only now involved as advisers to get the new crew up and running. I used to be a semi regular there as myself and the guys I worked with in 2005 or so used to get there once a month during a long Friday lunch.

I do love the place..indoor pistol range, well lit, well ventilated, plenty of rental guns to try and ammunition, targets and friendly help full fellow shooters to make it a great way to spend part of a Saturday morning. It's cool to be able to try various Glocks, 1911 variants, Springfield Armory XD Pistols, etc. to see what fits a shooter and his style before plunking down serious money.

Sorry for the thread interruption...if it is offensive maybe a mod can move it.

Back on topic with the Colt 1903 model M. Which is really what brought me to this forum....the only recent discussion about this pistol is on this forum and I'm obsessed with it to the point that I half started looking for custom builders to revive this gun in stainless. Locally I got a lot of support on this concept and it's beginning to look like I may be able to have 20 pistols built and recover most if not all of the start up costs.

I even have investors who believe that a revival of the Model M will be second in popularity to the 1911 variations currently being produced by almost *everyone*. Lots of folks are skeptical and I have not done enough homework yet *but* I believe that with some work we can reproduce this pistol in .32 ACP, 380 ACP, and probably 9mm. I'm finding moderate support in that I have, at last count, 30+ folks who tell me they'd be interested in a new Model M if we can keep all the ergonomics intact.

VooDoo

Shooting Sports Unlimited is just recently under new ownership and I'm thinking the original operators (family?) is only now involved as advisers to get the new crew up and running. I used to be a semi regular there as myself and the guys I worked with in 2005 or so used to get there once a month during a long Friday lunch.

I do love the place..indoor pistol range, well lit, well ventilated, plenty of rental guns to try and ammunition, targets and friendly help full fellow shooters to make it a great way to spend part of a Saturday morning. It's cool to be able to try various Glocks, 1911 variants, Springfield Armory XD Pistols, etc. to see what fits a shooter and his style before plunking down serious money.

Sorry for the thread interruption...if it is offensive maybe a mod can move it.

Back on topic with the Colt 1903 model M. Which is really what brought me to this forum....the only recent discussion about this pistol is on this forum and I'm obsessed with it to the point that I half started looking for custom builders to revive this gun in stainless. Locally I got a lot of support on this concept and it's beginning to look like I may be able to have 20 pistols built and recover most if not all of the start up costs.

I even have investors who believe that a revival of the Model M will be second in popularity to the 1911 variations currently being produced by almost *everyone*. Lots of folks are skeptical and I have not done enough homework yet *but* I believe that with some work we can reproduce this pistol in .32 ACP, 380 ACP, and probably 9mm. I'm finding moderate support in that I have, at last count, 30+ folks who tell me they'd be interested in a new Model M if we can keep all the ergonomics intact.

VooDoo

I'd be very interested in a stainless modern reproduction of this weapon. 9mm would be nice if it didn't compromise the ergonomics. I own a Type I Model M built in 1915. Be sure you never lose track of the original grips and the factory mag. They are worth big bucks. Also, NEVER get yours re-blued. I inherited mine from my mother, for whom it was her "pillow gun". She had it re-blued back in the 50's and that knocked off a big chunk of its value. Mine was also stolen about 25 years ago, and recovered without the factory mag. It cost me $150 to get the correct factory Colt .32 mag for it. I've also replaced the incorrect brass slide safety retaining screw with a Colt factory blued screw ($25) since this picture was taken. I replaced the factory grips with ivory, and the factory magazine with an aftermarket one (and locked the originals in my safe) when I decided to use it as a carry weapon. Mine is surprisingly accurate too at about 15 yards, and I agree that shot placement is everything in a gun fight.

colt32b.jpg

It's a famous gangster gun that Bogart and many others also carried in da films. Mines no collector but is a great shooter and convo piece. I would never normally carry it for self defense backup since a Beretta Nano is smaller and +P 9MM trumps any 32 auto load. Sure is a fun gun tho

Holy 'Chit, Zig....:s0155:

That is one beautiful pistol. I keep all the old parts....I'm not really worried about "value" per se. I do not want to disrespect or lose the original grips, springs, or mags. I do believe, like the Colt 1911 .45 ACP, that this particular design is very relevant and potent in the 21st century. I believe we should carry the biggest and most powerful (biggest caliber) for self defense that we can manage to shoot accurately and follow with multiple hits. For me, and the various pistols I have shot, I start to lose tack driving, balls to the wall, rapid follow ups with pistols over .380 ACP. Tiny little .45's and such are cool and powerful and if one can master them they should be carried.

The best pistol caliber I can put 8 rounds on target in 2 or so seconds and maintain a 4" max spread are .32 ACP and maybe .380 ACP. Big calibers are better than little calibers but 4, 32 ACP in the eyes and into the brain pan of an aggressor will incapacitate instantly. I have seen many huge cows killed instantly with a .22 to the head. I feel confident with a .32 or .380 and feel that in a gunfight a CNS hit is the first shots to go for. I practice at 21' and go for triple hits to the eyes. forehead, or throat or chest shots between the armpits if I can't see a face.

The Colt model M needs revived and made available in a modern format without losing the inherent point ability of the original. I see lots of folks evaluating a .32 ACP via the miniature Keltec .32 ACP but once we have shot high performance .32 ACP out of a 3 1/2" - 4" barrel (greater velocity - longer sight/point radius) and begin to feel the inherent combat effectiveness of Browning's original intent we begin to understand why the .32 ACP is a potent carry pistol caliber.

Better than a .45 ACP? Hell no... but way more concealable and so fast at multiple brain taps that it is relevant in the 21st century.

I needa shoot more pix of my current Colt Model M and get a few target pix up...I shot another Model M this weekend with a gun buddy (with hyper performance Fiocchi Extrema) and I'm convinced this caliber and concept is what I need. I have a Colt Officers and a Beretta 92 and *anything* else I want including XD .45's etc. I think I like my Model M little buddy as well as anything I have ever shot.

VooDoo

Da Vinci.. do try a Browning Hi Power MK 3 9MM, I was so fast with mine the range I once frequented gave me the nickname machinegun for how fast I could tattoo out tiny groups with +P ammo

My buddy down the street has a High Power in 9mm..not sure of the year or type. We shot it - I love it. Another JMB design that is inherently awesome and feels very neat in the hand. My Beretta 92s with fancy rubber grips is faster and more accurate side by side in my hand (this is uniquely personal - every human will shoot differently and has a designed more tuned to his personal style!!) than the Browning High Power after about 500 rounds of practice.

I hate to say it as I am a proponent of "bigger calibers are more potent" but the 1903 Model M was, my first time out, with a 95 year old ratty *** pistol and ammunition so old the box was falling apart, faster/more confident and devastating in head shots with a much smaller and more accurate shot spread than my Colt Officers ACP, my buddies High Power, My Beretta 92S, a loaner Sig Sauer P238, and generally felt so good and natural in point shooting that it was my favorite.

I would never propose that a 3 3/4" barrel .32 ACP that is 95 years old is the equivalent of a Glock, Browning High Power, or whatever someone's personal favorite pistol might be...we all are different animals with varying skills and mindsets. For me the Colt's Model M in .32 ACP is the cats *** and I can put it in action and hit reliably and with huge confidence. Maybe it's a soul mate? I can not be convinced that a volley of 9mm or .45 ACP can incapacitate a BG better than 4X .32 ACP to the face in a second. To me it is about bullet placement and rapid follow up until the threat is incapacitated.

I can't stop thinking and feeling that a modernized Colt model M in .32 or .380 will be hugely popular with various shooters who are proficient but want a pocket pistol of ergonomic perfection that can be deployed without the kick and muzzle flash of a miniature 9mm, .45 ACP, or whatever. I might be wrong or under gunned but this particular pistol is now my bedside friend and sits nicely in the pocket of my blue jeans when doing chores, hauling out the garbage, or working/walking about the yard. When I have a permit it will accompany me everywhere that it is legal to have it as it gives me confidence.

VooDoo

Just one more pix for comparison of a Colt Officers ACP and the old Colt 1903 Model M......for reference.:)

Thanks for indulging me and please post pictures of your Colt 1903 model M's as you come across this thread. I have lines and designs on a couple more and I'll post pix of my new acquisitions as they are brought home.

VooDoo

For Father's Day today, The Mrs, my son and I went to a local indoor range (Threat Dynamics in Tualatin for those of us in the Portland, Oregon area) and did some live firing shooting and their situational simulator shooting. They also have a handful of guns on consignment there. Anyway, they have had a Colt Model 1903 there for a couple months that I have had my eye on, the price was a little higher than I wanted to pay. So, I asked them to call the gal that had it up for sale with a much better offer, two minutes later, it was mine. I'm very glad that I have a wife that likes guns as much as I do (I wish I could shoot as good as she does). Anyway, this little Colt shoots .32 ACP and was built in 1905 according to Colt's website.

I haven't shot it yet. I wanted to get it home and taken down to clean and inspect it first, hopefully next week I'll get to shoot it.

Yours is a Type I, like mine. It looks like it still has the original fire bluing that shows up as really blue in color instead of black. You can tell whether your magazines are factory if they have two-tone bluing and "CAL .32" "Colt" stamped on the base in two lines. They are available on eBay, but expect to pay $100+ for an original magazine. After market magazines are functionally good, but for value retention, try to find a factory period mag for it now. They're only going to get more expensive over time. It's also good to see that yours has the correct grips for a Type I.

Your pistol seems to be missing the slide safety retaining screw on the right side (done away with on Type II and later), just below the slide. If I remember correctly, this is a #6-40 slotted panhead, blued screw. Mine had a misc brass #6-40 screw in it when I inherited it. After years of searching for the correct screw I finally found one ($25!!!), oddly enough, in Vancouver, WA. at:

Antique Firearms & Colt Parts for Old Guns

I suppose you could have one made by a good smith for a little less than that, but not much. I would make sure to find a replacement soon. These parts only get more scarce over time.

Good luck with your new toy. Take good care of it. You're going to love it. See the pictures of mine above.

Present count of folks interested in a stainless reproduction now stands at 31 and I *really* love that pistol. Looks like it is all business....do you shoot it much?

VooDoo

The thing is, by "ergonomics" I mean the FEEL of the pistol, the balance, the point-ability, the heft, the fit to the hand. To really appreciate a 1903 Colt model M you really, really need to pick one up and shoot it. It instantly becomes part of your hand and just feels like a natural extension of your body. A modern version in stainless and 9mm would be a dream as long as it didn't lose that feel.

A modern version in stainless and 9mm would be a dream as long as it didn't lose that feel.

You and I are on exactly the same page. The thing that makes me obsess about the Model M is the natural point ability, conceal ability, rapid fire control, accuracy and simplicity of the design. For me, it has the basis of appeal like the 1911....I feel that the whole reason that the 1911 has been emulated and reproduced so many times is because of these same inherent qualities. Why the Model m has never been reproduced rather baffles me. Having now owned and shot both types and working on concealed carry I feel that, for me, the Model M is highly desirable once we get past the issue of .32 VS .45

Any modern reproduction that lost the "classic" feel of the 1903 Model M would be a failure I'd think. The fact that the 1911 has been successfully reproduced (and improved!!) without loss of the original ergonomics makes me believe it could be done with the 1903 model M as well. The 1911 and the 1903 are really not that much different from this standpoint.

VooDoo

I just pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a new addition: Colt 1903 Model M in .32 ACP manufactured 1930. It should be here Friday and we'll shoot it as soon as it arrives as it's gonna be Mama's gun. :)

Pictures to follow of course!!

FarmerTed: Numrich has a barrel for a type I but the others are sold out. Check it every few days or so as they *do* get these in stock from time to time and I'm gonna grab an extra when I get a chance.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...istols-35748/1903Pocket32Hammerless-34909.htm

VooDoo

Dudes,
Have ya'll seen this work before from Sam's Custom Gunworks? Lookie what this guy did to this pistol:

670_sams_1903_2_1_.jpg

Sams Custom Gunworks LLC

Lust. Lust, Lust...My next Model M adventure is to find a mechanically sound pistol that has had the finish destroyed and refinish it in Cerakote with G10 laser cut grips (Black like the originals on late model type III) and a laser sight. Apologies in advance for the visual. Did I mention I wanna do the Cerakote it in 2 tone? :s0114:

Dark (Black) on the slide and Tactical Grey on the frame. What think?

VooDoo

670_sams_1903_2_1_.jpg

Yours is a Type I, like mine. It looks like it still has the original fire bluing that shows up as really blue in color instead of black. You can tell whether your magazines are factory if they have two-tone bluing and "CAL .32" "Colt" stamped on the base in two lines. They are available on eBay, but expect to pay $100+ for an original magazine. After market magazines are functionally good, but for value retention, try to find a factory period mag for it now. They're only going to get more expensive over time. It's also good to see that yours has the correct grips for a Type I.

Your pistol seems to be missing the slide safety retaining screw on the right side (done away with on Type II and later), just below the slide. If I remember correctly, this is a #6-40 slotted panhead, blued screw. Mine had a misc brass #6-40 screw in it when I inherited it. After years of searching for the correct screw I finally found one ($25!!!), oddly enough, in Vancouver, WA. at:

Antique Firearms & Colt Parts for Old Guns

I suppose you could have one made by a good smith for a little less than that, but not much. I would make sure to find a replacement soon. These parts only get more scarce over time.

Good luck with your new toy. Take good care of it. You're going to love it. See the pictures of mine above.

Thanks for the tip on the screw.

Yep, I have original magazines, two of them. :cool:

like I said, believe it or not the Pro Mags do work in this gun
Blitz...I just received a 1930 built Colt Model M in .32 and I cruised Numrich (where I bought mags a year ago) and ProMags and they do not have *any* magazines.......I'm kinda flustered at the ProMags site as they don't seem to offer any .32 ACP mags for a Colt Model M at all. At least I did not find any.

Can you direct me or give me a link?

Mama has a really hot pistol and the original mag is really nice but I have a Jones for at least 3 more mags so we have 6 mags for 3 guns. Can you help?

VooDoo

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads