JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is bear meat good? Curious minds want to know since I have never had bear meat.

Had it made into sausage that was VERY good. Suspect that had more to do with the person doing the making. Can't remember every trying it where you would really see what it tastes like in a steak or such.

I don't hunt bear because I like them so much... not to say I wouldn't shoot one that was attacking, but I just don't hunt them. However, I do have a buddy that hunts bear often, the meat is greasy, somewhat rancid tasting. He have me some bear jerky that wasn't bad though. I imagine bear sausage would have to be highly seasoned to be any good and would need pork or beef fat or both mixed in to a greater extent than elk sausage...

@Tony617
As far as bear meat and taste...
I like it ...but I have found that it all depends on just what the bear has been feeding on....berries and grubs ...the meat has been good , lots of fish or raiding someone's garbage cans...not so good.
Also In my opinion I like the meat from a bear hunted in the fall , better than the spring.
Andy

I don't hunt bear because I like them so much... not to say I wouldn't shoot one that was attacking, but I just don't hunt them. However, I do have a buddy that hunts bear often, the meat is greasy, somewhat rancid tasting. He have me some bear jerky that wasn't bad though. I imagine bear sausage would have to be highly seasoned to be any good and would need pork or beef fat or both mixed in to a greater extent than elk sausage...

Yes the kid that has brought me some a few times said the butcher they use to make it adds some pork along with who knows what else. When I lived in the SW small shop used to make Chorizo (Mexican sausage) that was to die for good. As long as you did not read the label. It was all the parts of the pig they could not use for anything else. Which told me it was the seasoning that made the stuff good. Done right I think they can make any cut of meat taste good by adding enough "stuff" :)

@Tony617
As far as bear meat and taste...
I like it ...but I have found that it all depends on just what the bear has been feeding on....berries and grubs ...the meat has been good , lots of fish or raiding someone's garbage cans...not so good.
Also In my opinion I like the meat from a bear hunted in the fall , better than the spring.
Andy

That makes perfect sense. Cattle will taste very different depending on what they are fed so wild stuff would of course be the same.

Yes the kid that has brought me some a few times said the butcher they use to make it adds some pork along with who knows what else. When I lived in the SW small shop used to make Chorizo (Mexican sausage) that was to die for good. As long as you did not read the label. It was all the parts of the pig they could not use for anything else. Which told me it was the seasoning that made the stuff good. Done right I think they can make any cut of meat taste good by adding enough "stuff" :)

Ah.... Huevos con Chorizo! Excellente!!! I also like chorizo in my taco meat. I'm not a fan of menudo, but I love machaca burritos and as you probably know, machaca is just seasoned ground up menudo (tripe - for those of you in Yorba Linda).

Yup, don't look at what goes into hot dogs or bologna, esp since they started using "mechanically separated" pork and chicken. How do you like your chicken lips and piggy toes?? :)

Bear meat from a spring Bear is edible. Bear meat from a fall or winter bear is something else entirely, in my opinion.
If you have the time, know-how and the skill, their hams turn out pretty good if you're into prosciutto.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top