JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quote seen in the reporting
“This … is not an ordinary disaster,” Sheriff Pelle said, in reference to walls of water that were tearing at mountainsides and canyons, The Associated Press reported. “All the preparations in the world … can’t put people up those canyons while these walls of water are coming down.”

Read more: Boulder, Colo., bolts, as 30-foot ?surge of water, mud, rocks' slides toward city - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

No Disaster is "ordinary". Things happen outside your experience and outside the planning capabilities of the community where you live. It's part of the definition.

That said, flash floods are a known problem in these mountain communities. This event is an extreme example of a known threat vector. What plans had the Sheriff and disaster planers made for a typical flood? Where did the plan fail for this event? How do we change the plan to overcome these issues?

The floods are much more severe now due to the denuded hillsides from forest fires! I'm guessing that none of their plans went far enough and that the real problem is the lack of resources that these small, cash strapped county's and municipalities have available. It's a heartbreaker.

The real problem is the American people and their totally incompetent governments and their " It can never happen to me" attitudes. If is does happen, the government will come along and bail our ***#s out and everything will be fine.

See how far that has got them.

I am in Colorado right now so it's wall to wall coverage. My take is that this wasn't a slow build up of rain but one large deluge. Once it started there was nothing to be done as the roads and bridges in some places are underwater or just gone. You either need to be ready to leave behind your entire life and get out before it hits or have high ground where you can shelter in place. Another issue is sanitation. There is a small community that while not severely flooded had the water treatment plant compromised and an order has come out to not flush the toilets for ten days.

I am in Colorado right now so it's wall to wall coverage. My take is that this wasn't a slow build up of rain but one large deluge. Once it started there was nothing to be done as the roads and bridges in some places are underwater or just gone. You either need to be ready to leave behind your entire life and get out before it hits or have high ground where you can shelter in place. Another issue is sanitation. There is a small community that while not severely flooded had the water treatment plant compromised and an order has come out to not flush the toilets for ten days.

I'm awestruck watching the coverage, it's unbelievable how much rain fell and how quickly the water rose.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top