JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why not make your own, Use Sorghum or any of the animal hide/collagen derived glues, or a mix of the two! I can get the supplies at many "Art" supply stores locally! Alternately, leather supply outlets usually have what you need.

This is another of my attempts to bond with the past. Collodion is nitrocellulose dissolved in ether. It was used back in the day for cap and ball paper cartridges because it worked and it burned well and assisted in burning all the paper. I just had a couple of questions about it. To wit: do you use flexible or non-flexible collodion (I am guessing flexible) and if waterproofing do you dip the cartridge or paint it on?

I've made my own hide glue for my self bows but I'm not going to use it on these paper cartridges.

Johnston and Dow .44 caliber bullet molds are now available again and I will buy a couple for these cartridges. Since, apparently nobody here has had experience with collodion, I will buy it and report back my experiences in making and shooting these cartridges should anyone care.

For my paper cartridges...I use roll yer own cigarette paper or....
Old books pages...the kind known as "Onion paper".

As far as 'waterproofing" goes...I use a leather cartridge box to store the cartridges...and don't really worry 'bout it.
Andy

Never found the need for that, using good rice or "rolling papers" and Sorghum paste with silk always worked well for dry loads, and for water proofing, the various "glues" are painted on after the cartridge is rolled! They both seem to burn quick and clean, and I have never had any residue, or other cleanup from any of this! I'm a big time cartridge roller, and this is what I found works best for my needs! Be sure to let us know what you learn in your journey, be curious at your findings, and maybe it will be worth trying out if I can find any! :s0155:

Ever tried Velium paper? Grand Dad always said he liked it, said it left no residue behind or had any burning embers when firing! I haven't ever tried it, but would like to!

I did for a while , I had some velium sheets left over from Art School....it worked well.
I would use it again...but it may be spendy or tough to get now...
Andy

Vellum is parchment, right? Made from goat and lamb skin? Many of those old cartridges were made of gut instead of paper. I suppose that vellum would give the same effect.
Correct! Depending on how it's made, you can get it to repel moisture pretty good! Today's parchment paper differs in that it doesn't always use animal products, so the results may not be the same as the old stuff! Something you would want to experiment with to find the right "blend"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top