JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would frequent such a subForum. As it is, I have to go elsewhere to engage in that kind of discussion. One of the objectives of this site, as I recall from the earliest days, was to build a Local online community of enthusiasts.

So the benefit from having a subForum devoted to "vintage" firearms is that those of us sharing that interest can get acquainted with each other. As that occurs, the expertise now hidden will likely emerge as a resource for the entire community.

I don't see the value in arguing or, worse yet, in splitting hairs over what constitutes an antique, a collectible, or a C&R piece as a necessary condition of establishing this venue or participating in it. And I really don't see that value in characterizing individuals who share this enthusiasm as elitists or what have you. That sort of discussion serves only to divide us rather than to bring us together.

Just a perspective from a long time supporting member. My thanks to Spitpatch for making the suggestion and to the Forum staff for their consideration of it.

The OPs suggestion wasn't even for a "vintage" or C&R section, it was for a "collector" category that was to include everything from colts and winchesters to glocks and ARs, which is an extremely broad range of firearms that's already covered in the categories we have now, and which don't really get all that many posts as it is.

I like most kinds of guns, not just "lego" rifles as another poster so eloquently put it, but the OP's original suggestion didn't seem real logical to me, and I stand by that. As far as a C&R section goes, I'm for it, but I don't think it's necessary at this point and time considering the amount of posts this site gets.

May as well make a shotgun category too, instead of having those lumped in with rifles.

But a category dedicated to collecting/investing in glocks, colts, and any other type of gun that someone considers collectible is stupid to me, and if they ever do add that as a category and it's a smashing success, I'll be the first to resurrect this thread and admit I was wrong....which is an extreme rarity.:s0114:

"The OPs suggestion wasn't even for a "vintage" or C&R section, it was for a "collector" category that was to include everything from colts and winchesters to glocks and ARs..."

Correct, and thanks for the summary. I would reiterate the broad scope of "collector" category, while admitting it is perhaps "already covered in the categories we have now", and ask the Moderators to shy away from some sort of "C and R" qualification when they consider the worth of my suggestion. That is a qualification/standard created by our government, and I don't feel such strict government-authored qualification should be perpetuated in such a forum. Examples I've previously provided (Rem 81's, Smiths) can be augmented by the fact that Winchester Model 70's, and Remington 700's (in some versions) are VERY collectable, either from the view toward the study and accumulation of rare versions, and/or investment purposes.

The forum's purpose in the ideal, would be for those who engage in such accumulation of certain guns to have a place to exchange information (yes, "brag" on occasion) and educate each other, while perhaps exhibiting an area of firearms interest that I believe is somewhat lacking from this website; it could well serve to expose a new person to the firearms hobby to a perhaps previously unconsidered aspect of it. Frankly, and pleasingly, I am happy to hear that even the "lowly" SKS can occasionally achieve collector status. I already want to know more. I would not want an SKS collector to be excluded from the discussion. On the contrary.

NO aspect of firearms interest is "stupid" to me. Invited to burp a Tec9 at dirt clods, I have no doubt I would enjoy, and learn something from it. Natty's warning of division in our ranks is the very best thing said here.

Frankly, and pleasingly, I am happy to hear that even the "lowly" SKS can occasionally achieve collector status. I already want to know more. I would not want an SKS collector to be excluded from the discussion. On the contrary.

Don't worry, I was useing a fifty-four year old SKS as an example of a C&R classified weapon. I don't collected SKS, just brought a couple too many brand new out of the crate from an importer.

Cheers.

If there was a vote put in place for the general membership I would definatly vote for a section geared towards collecting. Call it what you like, I think members here will get a kick if nothing else out of seeing pictures and reading facts about (fancy shmancy, high dollar... lol) firearms. Lets not let one "Creep" (not name calling, lol) who is rabidly against it talk anyone out if it. So here is one vote. If a Fitness section made it in you would think a Collector section would.

I'm coming late to the game. Was a decision ever reached regarding the addition of a collectible firearms section? The debate over what sort of firearms might fit in this category is an interesting one. It seems to me that the group might consider doing what the car collector world does to differentiate between contemporary and classic automobiles. Perhaps establishing pre and post war preservation classes, as well as an open class for modern weapons. It's impossible to definitively say what is and is not collectible. The ATF has its definition, but there are plenty of guys that spend big bucks to amass large collections of modern firearms. Whomever has an interest in sharing their knowledge of firearms history, sourcing and acquisition, preservation/restoration, and valuation should be welcomed.

Thanks for resurrecting the idea/interest. By my reading, I think at one point we had two Moderators that seemed supportive of the idea, or at least supportive of presenting the idea further up. With no updates on those efforts, I cannot determine if the idea was rejected (and of course reasons for such undetermined as well), forgotten, or approved and in the works. Participants in this thread were relatively few, but nearly unanimous in their support. I believe participants in any threads of the "Comments, Suggestions.." forum can be relatively few in nearly all instances.

One poster noted a forum devoted to "fitness" as being somewhat unusual on a firearms website, but its existence supports my original observation that this website seems to cater to (and admittedly largely participated in) by those persons concerned with "Black Guns, Survival, SHTF scenarios, Tactical techniques" and such. I would be the first to step forward and defend those interests and their following, would never denigrate persons with those interests, even if they are not my own. They ARE the future of the firearms field, no doubt about it, but my suggestion was toward benefit of the website itself, with a hope for pro-active cultivation of persons with other interests (such as myself and the other posters on this thread). While the Black Gun/Tactical guys are the strong future, we of interests toward the "older stuff" are the established (and perhaps waning) base. I still hold confidence that the Founders and Moderators will recognize what I believe is a need (audience) that is not agressively promoted here. If they fail in that recognition, they are missing a big (old, established, experienced and strong) boat.

Thanks for kindly responding to my query. I too think it's great that so many modern firearm enthusiasts participate in the forums. But you've confirmed my suspicion that there are more than a few collectors of "classic" firearms lurking about. I was asking over in the Firearms-Related Business Discussion and Reviews section if anyone could point me in the direction of a good Northwest live-auction sale - like Rock Island Auction Company, or <broken link removed> to try and gauge the level of interest in "classic" firearms, but my question went unanswered. I know there's plenty of gun shows where a guy can chew the fat with fellow enthusiasts, but, in my mind, good attendance at an auction indicates how many are actively collecting - and ready to buy. In a sense, auctions filter out the day-trippers from the serious-minded collectors. Now I'm rambling.

Your "rambling" has anecdotally confirmed my suspicions as well, and I will relate briefly relate my own history (and current regard) toward this website as anecdotal confirmation of the same: When I discovered this site, I was very pleased to find a place (regionally "local") that catered to my interests (or so I thought). Ongoing participation and evaluation has shown to me that in actuality, my interests are in the minority here (completely understandable based on my recognition of the big, respectable and valuable cadre of the Black Gun crowd) but more importantly, my interests are not CULTIVATED here by the creators: hence my constructive suggestion for how that might come about.

I found myself looking elsewhere for that cultivation, and found it in more nationally-oriented/specifically-created sites, such as 24-hourCampfire, and the various collectors sites (Marlinowners, Savage Shooters, Winchestercollectors, and ASSRA:for Single Shots). Time and effort previously spent on this site is now redirected in a not insignificant way toward those sites. Perhaps that is what the Founders here would prefer. But I would like to think otherwise. Your posting (and others here) confirm to me that I am not alone in this experience, and there is most probably a very large group of us.

Your assessment of the situation seems spot on. So why aren't the "classic" Northwest firearms associations (e.g. Washington Arms Collectors, or Oregon Arms Collectors), stepping up to the plate and creating an open forum? It seems to me that a moderated forum would be a great opportunity to attract members, and expand association reach beyond the four walls of a gun show. All these local/regional collector associations seem to have newsletters where word could be spread to attract forum participants.

Northwest Firearms is built on $469 dollars worth of vBulletin software, plus monthly hosting fees ($7.95/mo from Host Monster). If the folks behind this forum (which I think is outstanding, and sorely needed by the Northwest Shooting Sports community), don't have an interest in creating a "classic" arms collecting category, maybe member participants that are eager for such a forum would be willing to Chip-In the resources to launch one on their own.

I like the idea of a collectable and oldies category (I don't care about the specifics), but I think it is too early, a solution looking for a problem. What's needed are a number of people chatting about their latest old gun, latest vintage collecter show experience, latest blackpowder hunt, etc. When these posts get in the way of the vital 9mm vs 45 conversations, it will be the "blackgunners" who demand a new location.
I've seen a few posts on family heirlooms, parts searches, "what is this gun" posts and such. We just need a bit more mass to the crowd before we get our own home.

Sorry about the gun owner stereotyping. It is kinda fun though.

Would there be any harm in launching a "classic" arms category to gauge interest? I know moderators already have a lot on their plates, so the prospect of managing another permanent Weapons Discussion sub-category might go beyond capacity. But, the idea of a temporary category (one that gets deleted if nobody participates) seems an excellent method for determining level of interest. Lots of forum members are launching threads within the sub-categories (e.g. Handgun Discussion, Rifle & Shotgun Discussion), of the Weapons Discussion board regarding "classic" arms. The problem is that they quickly get drowned out by the sheer volume of "modern" arms discussions taking place in the same category - thereby effectively marginalizing "classic" arms discussion. Unless someone uses the search tool to identify all the scattered "classic" arms threads, it becomes nigh on impossible to contribute/participate in any meaningful way. The benefit of a forum is supposed to be the ability to monitor conversations of interest at a glance - something anyone with even a passing interest in "classic" arms cannot currently do.

As a C&R licensee I would also love to see something like this.
There is a lot of knowledge on this site and we all have our favorites when it comes to firearms. Mine happen to be 1911's and bolt action military carbines. This would also possibly give C&R holders a place to show and tell their firearms and also expose their passion to other members. It could also be benificial if we knew which members were holding C&R's as I am only aware of two others on the site and have no idea what their collecting preferances are?

mjd

Just applied for my C&R. More interested in old/unusual/cheap items. (I'm looking for a Nagant M1895 locally - if I don't find one before my C&R goes through, I'll probably buy one online.) Definitely would like to have a place to discuss this.

I've had my C&R for just over 4 years. It will not save you any money over having an FFL do your tranfers.. My problem is I have bought a LOT more firearms with the C&R, than I would have if I was going to go thru an FFL. It makes collecting and purchasing outside Oregon real easy, just send the money and the firearm arrives at your door.
as far as a category here, i would like to see it. I chat on several others, but a local site would be nice.
Semper Fi

I think the Nagant is an excellent choice for your first C&R purchase. I've become really enamored with the M1895 myself ever since I saw this video of a Nagant with a modern suppressor. In the words of one of the YouTube commentators, "...scary silent."

[video]http://youtu.be/vvF4yurWSc0[/video]

Heh, yeah, that's one of the things I'd like to do, long-term, too. (Can't afford a $500+ suppressor +$200 tax stamp for a $100 gun at the moment.) I wonder if there are any pre-1898 suppressors out there for it? (Although they'd probably go for way more than $1000 from sheer 'antique' value...)

An M1895 with a short suppressor and some kind of baffle around the hammer would be the ultimate 'quiet carry' (if hard to conceal,) weapon!

Uh-oh. Raygun and CharonPDX have gone rogue. As much as I wanted a new heading for collectable/older guns, it would seem at this point they have taken matters into their own hands and turned "Questions and Comments" into that very heading. VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

Yeah, and I was gonna add that Nagant ammunition (7.62x38mm) is a bit of a rare bird - one of the biggest drawbacks to using these Eastern Bloc pistols as daily drivers.

I guess we have to get our fun where we can find it. If Questions and Comments is where the action is, then in the words of Admiral David Glasgow Farragut, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top