JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
  2. For Trade
Manufacturer
Mossberg
Caliber
22 Long Rifle
City
Coquille
State
Oregon
I took this amazing example of a mid 1940's (C&R) Top Collector quality rifle in trade long ago but at 83 I can no longer hunt, lift or shoot a rifle. The rifle came out of an avid Mossberg collector's stash when he passed. This was his last and his best. It is complete with the multiple front sight switchable options and front sight hood. It has the original dust cover, scope mount, swing away receiver peep sight, bbl mounted v-notch adjustable sight, new spare magazine in it's plastic wrapper located in the butt compartment, original Weaver 4x scope that came with the rifle, the original, unstained leather sling and a gun case. It also comes with the new 4x scope and rings as seen mounted in the photos. This is the latest improved (C) Model 42M that Mossberg manufactured as a training/competition .22 for the US Military in the mid 1940's. The magazines enable the use of .22 LR and .22 Shorts.
The only "oh by the way" is that evidently someone set the butt on something damp and there is some evidence of old pitting on the metal butt plate. Close inspection of the wood reveals a couple of small marks that were too small for me able to capture in the photos. With those two minor exceptions the rifle would rate 100%.
I did take it to the range and off the bench at 50 yards even with my tired old eyes the 10 shot group I fired was one hole that was the size of a quarter. A decent shooter could do better I have no doubt. I will sell this collector's quality rifle with a 525 round pack of Remington hollow points (minus the15 rounds that I shot) for $495.00.
I live in Coquille, Oregon and although I can't drive as far or as well as I used to be able to, I could drive as far as North Bend to the Bay Area Yamaha FFL which is across the bridge as you enter North Bend coming from the North on Highway 101. It's very easy to find on the left with a beautiful little park directly across the street. I can highly recommend a great place for seafood which is nearby. I could possibly drive as far as Florence or Roseberg.
I would consider applying my rifle for credit against one of the new Beretta 92X Compact (w/o the rail) or a new Springfield Armory Hi-Power 92X.
Thank you for your time.
Scott
Semper Fi

20210803_144847.jpg

20201011_124153.jpg 1004942[/AT thumbnail.jpg TA thumbnail.jpg CH]View attachment 1004945 View attachment 1004943 20201011_124513.jpg 20201011_124328.jpg 20201011_124233.jpg 20210803_145140.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
Love these rifles....wish we were closer.
Good luck with your sale....!
Andy
Thank you. The quality that went into them back in the day was what really impressed me. As a long time early Winchester collector I didn't think anyone duplicated the quality of those early models like the 86, 92.94, 61, 62, 63, etc but this 42 M certainly does. And.... considering the man behind the trigger it's accuracy is/was amazing as well!
Scott

Last Edited:
Years ago I would have walked down there to get that rifle if I had to, but sadly I am getting to the point where I can no longer hunt, lift or shoot a rifle either. It's a beauty and I hope it goes to a good home.

Years ago I would have walked down there to get that rifle if I had to, but sadly I am getting to the point where I can no longer hunt, lift or shoot a rifle either. It's a beauty and I hope it goes to a good home.
Thank you for your expression of appreciation. It was the collector's most prized acquisition. I hope that it will go to someone who will appreciate how finely made it was and in what pristine condition it is in. You really have to see and handle it to see the quality, time, and skill that went into manufacturing it.
Scott

Last Edited:
Gosh that's in beautiful shape. I have it's close relative, a 46 M (b). Tube fed rather than mag fed. I don't even care for shooting .22. I just like the "Style & Story" of these old guns.

I took this amazing example of a mid 1940's (C&R) rifle in trade but at 83 I can no longer hunt, lift or shoot a rifle. The rifle came out of an avid Mossberg collector's stash when he passed. It is complete with the multiple front sight switchable options and front sight hood. It has the original dust cover, scope mount, swing away receiver peep sight, bbl mounted v-notch adjustable sight, new spare magazine in it's plastic wrapper located in the butt compartment, original Weaver 4x scope that came with the rifle, the original, unstained leather sling and a gun case. It also comes with the new 4x scope and rings as seen mounted in the photos. This is the latest improved (C) Model 42M that Mossberg manufactured as a training/competition .22 for the US Military in the mid 1940's.
The only "oh by the way" is that evidently someone set the butt on something damp and there is some evidence of old pitting on the metal butt plate. Close inspection of the wood reveals a couple of small marks that were too small for me able to capture in the photos. With those two minor exceptions the rifle would rate 100%.
I did take it to the range and off the bench at 50 yards even with my tired old eyes the 10 shot group I fired was one hole that was the size of a quarter. A decent shooter could do better I have no doubt. I will sell this collector's quality rifle with a 525 round pack of Remington hollow points (minus 15 rounds) for $495.00.
I live in Coquille, Oregon and although I can't drive as far or as well as I used to be able to, I could drive as far as North Bend to the Bay Area Yamaha FFL which is across the bridge as you enter North Bend coming from the North on Highway 101. It's very easy to find on the left with a beautiful park directly across the street. The air here is clean and cool off the ocean, and I can highly recommend a great place for seafood which is nearby.
Thank you for your time.
Scott
Semper Fi

PS: I would consider a Kimber Ultra Stainless 1911 trade in with cash as appropriate provided it was either new or 100% reliable.
View attachment 1004939

View attachment 10049411004942[/ATTACH]View attachment 1004945 View attachment 1004943 View attachment 1004957View attachment 1004969
Buy with confidence from this seller...He is great guy to deal with!

I'm trying to justify a trip south for this one…
My grandfather taught me to shoot, many years ago with the same Mossy 144LSB he competed with in NRA National March competitions and I have a lot of love for these old .22's
If it's still around this coming weekend, I'll head south and take her off your hands.

I agreed to meet the Buyer in Reedsport where his mother lives. He requested a number of appointment changes over several months (illness, had to work, etc) and finally all attempts to contact him went unanswered. Hence....my rifle is once again available for purchase.
Scott

If you can ship this gun, or have someone ship it for you, to my FFL in Seguin, Texas, I'll buy it,
Thanks,
Regan Springs
(210) 241-3551
I'll look into it Monday. It would have to ship without the ammo I think, and I'd expect you to pay for the shipping. Part of my problem would be finding a shipping box that would be strong enough to protect it.
Thanks for your reply. I'll PM you when I know.
Scott

Thank you!
I spoke with some of the staff at our local gun club and here is what I've been advised. I can ship to your FFL provided I have a copy of his license to include in the shipping container. The best way for you to be sure your rifle will arrive undamaged is to select a gun case that you can have confidence in from Cabalas or Midway USA and have it shipped directly to me. Then I'll take the package to the City and find out what it will cost to ship it to you. Let me know how much insurance you wish so I can include that in the shipping costs. When that's all done I'll let you know what it came to and you can send me a postal money order with a copy of your FFL's license. I'll get it out to you the following day.
Without the ammo and adding the gun case cost plus the shipping you are going to end up with more money in my rifle than I am asking. I have a lot more money invested in it than I'm asking but it all depends on what it is worth to you.
Scott
Semper Fi

Scott,
Thank you for your efforts to sort this out. I purchase dozens of guns each year. Almost all wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped in cardboard boxes without any problems. The average shipping cost per gun has been between $36 and $53. So, sending you the shipping container and dropping the ammunition as part of the bargain pushes my out of pocket costs well over your asking price plus nominal shipping charges. I'll have to pass.

Thank you for your service to our country.

By the way, I did over 27+ years in the Air Force and just turned 70. But, I'm fit and ready to do it again if our country gets messed up in the war in Europe. We have to protect our grandchildren.

God Bless You
Regan

Scott,
Thank you for your efforts to sort this out. I purchase dozens of guns each year. Almost all wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped in cardboard boxes without any problems. The average shipping cost per gun has been between $36 and $53. So, sending you the shipping container and dropping the ammunition as part of the bargain pushes my out of pocket costs well over your asking price plus nominal shipping charges. I'll have to pass.

By the way, I did over 27+ years in the Air Force and just turned 70. But, I'm fit and ready to do it again if our country gets messed up in the war in Europe. We have to protect our grandchildren.

God Bless You
Regan

Last Edited:
I can locate a cardboard box and wrap your gun if that is what you wish me to do. if you decide to go that route I would advise shipping insurance.
Thank you,
Scott
Scott,

God Bless You
Regan

Regan:

No grandchildren but I agree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding our country and would be standing beside you.
God Bless you as well.

Scott

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top