Manufacturer
Mossberg
Caliber
22 Long Rifle
City
Coquille
State
Oregon
I took this amazing example of a mid 1940's (C&R) rifle in trade but at 83 I can no longer hunt, lift or shoot a rifle. The rifle came out of an avid Mossberg collector's stash when he passed. This was his last and his best. It is complete with the multiple front sight switchable options and front sight hood. It has the original dust cover, scope mount, swing away receiver peep sight, bbl mounted v-notch adjustable sight, new spare magazine in it's plastic wrapper located in the butt compartment, original Weaver 4x scope that came with the rifle, the original, unstained leather sling and a gun case. It also comes with the new 4x scope and rings as seen mounted in the photos. This is the latest improved (C) Model 42M that Mossberg manufactured as a training/competition .22 for the US Military in the mid 1940's. The magazines enable the use of .22 LR and .22 Shorts.
The only "oh by the way" is that evidently someone set the butt on something damp and there is some evidence of old pitting on the metal butt plate. Close inspection of the wood reveals a couple of small marks that were too small for me able to capture in the photos. With those two minor exceptions the rifle would rate 100%.
I did take it to the range and off the bench at 50 yards even with my tired old eyes the 10 shot group I fired was one hole that was the size of a quarter. A decent shooter could do better I have no doubt. I will sell this collector's quality rifle with a 525 round pack of Remington hollow points (minus 15 rounds) for $495.00.
I live in Coquille, Oregon and although I can't drive as far or as well as I used to be able to, I could drive as far as North Bend to the Bay Area Yamaha FFL which is across the bridge as you enter North Bend coming from the North on Highway 101. It's very easy to find on the left with a beautiful little park directly across the street. I can highly recommend a great place for seafood which is nearby.
Thank you for your time.
Scott
Semper Fi

PS: I would consider a Kimber Ultra Stainless 1911 trade in with cash as appropriate provided it was either new or 100% reliable.
20210803_144847.jpg

20201011_124153.jpg 1004942[/ATTACH] View attachment 1004945 View attachment 1004943 20201011_124233.jpg 20210803_145140.jpg

Rules & Terms
  1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
Reactions
Love these rifles....wish we were closer.
Good luck with your sale....!
Andy
Thank you. The quality that went into them back in the day was what really impressed me. As a long time early Winchester collector I didn't think anyone duplicated the quality of those early models like the 86, 92.94, 61, 62, 63, etc but this 42 M certainly does. And.... considering the man behind the trigger it's accuracy is/was amazing as well!
Scott

Last Edited:

Hop Sing

Reactions
Years ago I would have walked down there to get that rifle if I had to, but sadly I am getting to the point where I can no longer hunt, lift or shoot a rifle either. It's a beauty and I hope it goes to a good home.

Reactions
Years ago I would have walked down there to get that rifle if I had to, but sadly I am getting to the point where I can no longer hunt, lift or shoot a rifle either. It's a beauty and I hope it goes to a good home.
Thank you for your expression of appreciation. It was the collector's most prized acquisition. I hope that it will go to someone who will appreciate how finely made it was and in what pristine condition it is in. You really have to see and handle it to see the quality, time, and skill that went into manufacturing it.
Scott

Last Edited:

Mikej

Reactions
Gosh that's in beautiful shape. I have it's close relative, a 46 M (b). Tube fed rather than mag fed. I don't even care for shooting .22. I just like the "Style & Story" of these old guns.

GeneJr

Reactions
I took this amazing example of a mid 1940's (C&R) rifle in trade but at 83 I can no longer hunt, lift or shoot a rifle. The rifle came out of an avid Mossberg collector's stash when he passed. It is complete with the multiple front sight switchable options and front sight hood. It has the original dust cover, scope mount, swing away receiver peep sight, bbl mounted v-notch adjustable sight, new spare magazine in it's plastic wrapper located in the butt compartment, original Weaver 4x scope that came with the rifle, the original, unstained leather sling and a gun case. It also comes with the new 4x scope and rings as seen mounted in the photos. This is the latest improved (C) Model 42M that Mossberg manufactured as a training/competition .22 for the US Military in the mid 1940's.
The only "oh by the way" is that evidently someone set the butt on something damp and there is some evidence of old pitting on the metal butt plate. Close inspection of the wood reveals a couple of small marks that were too small for me able to capture in the photos. With those two minor exceptions the rifle would rate 100%.
I did take it to the range and off the bench at 50 yards even with my tired old eyes the 10 shot group I fired was one hole that was the size of a quarter. A decent shooter could do better I have no doubt. I will sell this collector's quality rifle with a 525 round pack of Remington hollow points (minus 15 rounds) for $495.00.
I live in Coquille, Oregon and although I can't drive as far or as well as I used to be able to, I could drive as far as North Bend to the Bay Area Yamaha FFL which is across the bridge as you enter North Bend coming from the North on Highway 101. It's very easy to find on the left with a beautiful park directly across the street. The air here is clean and cool off the ocean, and I can highly recommend a great place for seafood which is nearby.
Thank you for your time.
Scott
Semper Fi

PS: I would consider a Kimber Ultra Stainless 1911 trade in with cash as appropriate provided it was either new or 100% reliable.
View attachment 1004939

View attachment 1004941 1004942[/ATTACH] View attachment 1004945 View attachment 1004943 View attachment 1004957 View attachment 1004969
Buy with confidence from this seller...He is great guy to deal with!