Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Collections

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrblond, Jul 26, 2015.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Anyone out there have any collections that you look at as a waste of money if we have a SHTF?

Personally I collect Comic art. Some of it is worth alot but its mostly for my enjoyment. Somedays I look at what I have up on the wall and think.. " thats 2 cases of 5.56 there.. "

Any of you guys have anything like that?

Brutus57 and 45alive like this.
  2. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Most of my gun collection is a waste of money if SHTF. Unless there were slow moving zombies and I could shoot and load mags from my couch, then it would be quite fun.

3. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I heard that.. I hope SHTF allows me to sit in my comfy chair and shoot as fast as I can load.

Brutus57 likes this.
  4. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

I have a few model trains. Nice to play with, but not very useful if SHTF. If I were to sell might have enough to buy another reloading press. ( Dillon 650 ) :D

Brutus57 likes this.
  5. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Got a bunch of pottery. Rookwood , Fulper, Roosevelt etc. Lots of die cast. Got some old woodworking tools but they actually might come in handy.

6. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Depends on how much SHTF and for how long. Pleasure items like guitars, drums, art, photos, libraries, water skis, RC aircraft and even savings in the bank might all become useless or inaccessible (= useless) if things go really sideways.

7. 45alive

45alive South Douglas County- Orygun Well-Known Member

I collect Rocks, for the most part they are free. They could be used if SHTF for I have a slingshot as well and a well placed cranial shot:s0030: would subdue a Zombie. :s0039:

Monica Cowles and bolus like this.
  8. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Mechanic tools.

My wife like those expensive willow tree figurines.

Sadly everything I have is specific to a point for long term.

9. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I wouldn't consider mechanic's tools a waste. Certainly power tools if things are bad enough that there is no electricity or generator fuel, but hand tools would be infinitely useful. People with tools and the ability to use them will dominate any SHTF situation in the long run.

coyotecaller, notazombie and Dyjital like this.
  10. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Sold off most of my hobby collections when sp and I were out work. Also carved out some $ for more useful tools. Things are on upswing and we are gardening/ canning big time. I know things are going down hill in the world, it's shifting from 3rd in to 4th....

Brutus out

11. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

I spend time in snake country. And over the years I have collected maybe 30 skins?

Not good for much. But they remind me to be aware of my surroundings. :s0092:

DSCN2952 (2).JPG

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  12. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Got too many coffee cups:D.

Monica Cowles, deadeye and MTpockets like this.
  13. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Wow, In today's world I find that very impressive. I envy you (and I am not trying to be funny)

Everything I own would take up about 12 40 foot shipping containers and probably weigh about 100 tons.

Monica Cowles, Medic! and MTpockets like this.
  14. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Well I used to throw my one dollar bills into a 55 gallon barrel figuring when it got full I would have some real money. One day the cat got in it a crapped so I had to throw the bills away.o_O:):confused::D

15. IronMonster

Most of my "stuff" comes from hording materials and equipment for my shop. Much of it has no real value to anyone else but its 'too good" to just throw away. I have at least 20-30 tons of steel around the shop, probably 5-8 ton of new steel inventory.

mjbskwim likes this.
  16. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

There is a point when your possessions posses you!

I look around and think I should have T-shirts made saying "$hit everywhere"

It's all valuable stuff. I just get tired being responsible for it.:confused:

MTpockets, Dyjital and IronMonster like this.
  17. IronMonster

I hear you brother!

I really do often feel trapped by my crap. There is do doubt it is a burden.

18. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I collect beer and brewery related crap. I'm not sure what 300+ bottle openers are good for! Or a 1914 beer bottle, or a 1890 beer bottle, or more than a few signs, cans, posters, ads, trays, matchbooks, etc......

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Now my parents were depression era folks and you didn't throw anything away that wasn't straight garbage.
    So every once in a while I have to sell stuff off.I get scared that I'll start hording.
    But as far as materials are concerned,I don't mind hording those.Extra wood or metal keeps a guy out of trouble by fabricating,uh art! yeah art
    And 2 years ago when I lived in my trailer,I looked around and figured I had more money in crap in my shed than what my cool old trailer was worth
    Garage Sale time!
    Then I decided to move here and sold off some good stuff but kept most of the SHTF stuff.
    Can't wait to start collecting junk again!

20. notazombie

notazombie Hillsboro Well-Known Member

^^^Agree 100%^^^
    Ironically my "collection" is my cars that make my tools a necessity. They're fun and I think they're cool but serve no SHTF purpose. All of them completely useless offroad. It's safe to say that the investment is more substantial than the typical BeanyBaby collection. Its possible that I need to reevaluate my priorities.