JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone out there have any collections that you look at as a waste of money if we have a SHTF?

Personally I collect Comic art. Some of it is worth alot but its mostly for my enjoyment. Somedays I look at what I have up on the wall and think.. " thats 2 cases of 5.56 there.. "

Any of you guys have anything like that?

Most of my gun collection is a waste of money if SHTF. Unless there were slow moving zombies and I could shoot and load mags from my couch, then it would be quite fun.
I heard that.. I hope SHTF allows me to sit in my comfy chair and shoot as fast as I can load.

Got a bunch of pottery. Rookwood , Fulper, Roosevelt etc. Lots of die cast. Got some old woodworking tools but they actually might come in handy.

Depends on how much SHTF and for how long. Pleasure items like guitars, drums, art, photos, libraries, water skis, RC aircraft and even savings in the bank might all become useless or inaccessible (= useless) if things go really sideways.

Mechanic tools.

My wife like those expensive willow tree figurines.

Sadly everything I have is specific to a point for long term.

I wouldn't consider mechanic's tools a waste. Certainly power tools if things are bad enough that there is no electricity or generator fuel, but hand tools would be infinitely useful. People with tools and the ability to use them will dominate any SHTF situation in the long run.

Sold off most of my hobby collections when sp and I were out work. Also carved out some $ for more useful tools. Things are on upswing and we are gardening/ canning big time. I know things are going down hill in the world, it's shifting from 3rd in to 4th....

Brutus out

I spend time in snake country. And over the years I have collected maybe 30 skins?

Not good for much. But they remind me to be aware of my surroundings. :s0092:

DSCN2952 (2).JPG

Last Edited:
I tried collecting U.S. Dollars but quickly found that it just wasn't worth the effort.;)

Everything I own would fit into a single modern footlocker.

Wow, In today's world I find that very impressive. I envy you (and I am not trying to be funny)

Everything I own would take up about 12 40 foot shipping containers and probably weigh about 100 tons.

Wow, In today's world I find that very impressive. I envy you (and I am not trying to be funny)

Everything I own would take up about 12 40 foot shipping containers and probably weigh about 100 tons.

Well I used to throw my one dollar bills into a 55 gallon barrel figuring when it got full I would have some real money. One day the cat got in it a crapped so I had to throw the bills away.o_O:):confused::D

Most of my "stuff" comes from hording materials and equipment for my shop. Much of it has no real value to anyone else but its 'too good" to just throw away. I have at least 20-30 tons of steel around the shop, probably 5-8 ton of new steel inventory.

There is a point when your possessions posses you!

I look around and think I should have T-shirts made saying "$hit everywhere"

It's all valuable stuff. I just get tired being responsible for it.:confused:

I hear you brother!

I really do often feel trapped by my crap. There is do doubt it is a burden.

I collect beer and brewery related crap. I'm not sure what 300+ bottle openers are good for! Or a 1914 beer bottle, or a 1890 beer bottle, or more than a few signs, cans, posters, ads, trays, matchbooks, etc......

I hear you brother!

I really do often feel trapped by my crap. There is do doubt it is a burden.
Now my parents were depression era folks and you didn't throw anything away that wasn't straight garbage.
So every once in a while I have to sell stuff off.I get scared that I'll start hording.
But as far as materials are concerned,I don't mind hording those.Extra wood or metal keeps a guy out of trouble by fabricating,uh art! yeah art
And 2 years ago when I lived in my trailer,I looked around and figured I had more money in crap in my shed than what my cool old trailer was worth
Garage Sale time!
Then I decided to move here and sold off some good stuff but kept most of the SHTF stuff.
Can't wait to start collecting junk again!

I wouldn't consider mechanic's tools a waste. Certainly power tools if things are bad enough that there is no electricity or generator fuel, but hand tools would be infinitely useful. People with tools and the ability to use them will dominate any SHTF situation in the long run.
^^^Agree 100%^^^
Ironically my "collection" is my cars that make my tools a necessity. They're fun and I think they're cool but serve no SHTF purpose. All of them completely useless offroad. It's safe to say that the investment is more substantial than the typical BeanyBaby collection. Its possible that I need to reevaluate my priorities.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top