JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the S truly HTF ... we are all screwed anyway . Temporary shutdown of normal supply lines is survivable , permanent, back to the
stone age , type of scenario is a different deal . Very few people have the skills , health , and luck that will be required to thrive in that
kind of situation . Our society isn't prepared for the realities of life in that situation . Just because a person does well in elk camp for 5 or 6 days
with plenty of cookies and propane from home does not mean that they are a mountain man ready to forge a new life in the wilderness .

I agree it would be terrible, but I wouldn't say we are ALL screwed. Certainly SOME people will survive....it is unlikely that an event such as this will make humankind extinct....so as long as there is a CHANCE you could survive, why not do everything in your power NOW to increase your odds of survival? Sure, there's still no guarantee and sure the odds might be against you, but it's worth a shot. Even the survivors eventually die. Maybe you only need to survive for 4 or 5 months so that you can be at the right place at the right time and help to save somebody else who will be instrumental in the recovery? It's not over till the fat lady sings....and that fat lady will survive a LOT longer in a famine than Paris Hilton....

The folks on th east coast are getting a taste right now 1.5 million without power and rising. NYC may be without power for 3 days (or more due to that earthquake)

Ok, but what is average Joe gonna do after ther panic he's feeling settles down? He's going to get instinctive and hunt and forage to survive. What do you think Joe's first move will be? After he's done freaking out and still alive that is?

Ok, but what is average Joe gonna do after ther panic he's feeling settles down? He's going to get instinctive and hunt and forage to survive. What do you think Joe's first move will be? After he's done freaking out and still alive that is?

Well the average Joe is not prepared to to wipe his @ss next month or to make a peanut butter sandwhich.

So after they are done freaking out, there will not much left nor will they have put in a garden, or gathered fruits berries, nuts, or other available items.

That is where they will start to do look for a quick carb fix just like a junky in a bad need of fix. Anyone not prepared to hang on their stores, supplies or home is going to be screwed.

Out of the majority of the people I know I would they are more prepared to serve booze to a friend that drops by than they are to feed themselves.

I do not tell many what I have, and those that know what I have know lead poisening can be quick and fatal

On a scale from 1- 10; 10 being the worst case, the 2008 'recession' was a 2; the collapse of the Soviet Union as a hardship to the people was a 4. Greece is a 5. Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe is a 6. We will be a 10. There couldn't be more naive, more gullible, less ready populace than what we have in the USA. Mind numbed, government and media worshiping lemmings. Those engineering the collapse are free to proceed on all fronts.

On a scale from 1- 10; 10 being the worst case, the 2008 'recession' was a 2; the collapse of the Soviet Union as a hardship to the people was a 4. Greece is a 5. Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe is a 6. We will be a 10. There couldn't be more naive, more gullible, less ready populace than what we have in the USA. Mind numbed, government and media worshiping lemmings. Those engineering the collapse are free to proceed on all fronts.

A 10? Wow. I don't see this at all. Not saying we won't have some issues. Just that the #1 thing I won't be doing is running out 10 min after the lights go out into the street with some of you folks to my prearranged sandbag emplacements to hold off the Mongol Hordes and the great unwashed masses. LOL

Sure, I'll miss my toilet paper, but figure I have enough sears catalogs in the basement to make up for it for a while. I've asked the dog what she thinks about that and she says..... "RUFF". :s0114: She's got it. I won't enjoy purifying my water with my MSR filter, but do it all the time normally, like Thursday when I was out, so that's not unique or different. I'll probably reconnect with lots of folks as the TV and internet will be off, I see that as a net gain.

Take care all!

Ok, the senario is that without warning a complete government collapse happens. We loss power,phones and water. You have a normally stocked house with standard arms collection (I.e. shotgun,10/22, hunting rifle and hand gun. You have a good relationship with your neighbors and live in a decent area of town. Your closest water source is about a 30 minute walk from your home and you can hunt and fish locally.

What are your very first moves?

1. Calmly walk to the supermarket.
2. Buy out all the Cheeze-Its before anyone else can.
3. Calmly walk home.
4. Proceed with SHTF plans.

I expect that a collapse of the US will look something like the breakup of Yugoslavia.

Some regions will break away quietly (like Slovenia) some will fend of federalist forces and win their freedom through a hard effort (like Croatia), but others will break down into a long civil war (like Bosnia) and some will remain attached to the ancien régime (like Serbia).

In our case, I suspect that our locus of conflict will be less ethnic and more ideological than was the case in Yugoslavia... and it will be a **** of a lot bloodier.

I expect that a collapse of the US will look something like the breakup of Yugoslavia.

Some regions will break away quietly (like Slovenia) some will fend of federalist forces and win their freedom through a hard effort (like Croatia), but others will break down into a long civil war (like Bosnia) and some will remain attached to the ancien régime (like Serbia).

In our case, I suspect that our locus of conflict will be less ethnic and more ideological than was the case in Yugoslavia... and it will be a **** of a lot bloodier.[/QUOTE
I have believed for years that the Milosevic Model is the base plan for the destruction of the USA as there are many surface similarities between the two govermental systems

There are a lot of people who don't have the income to prep. Can't buy food, ammo, whatever. The best advice for those folks is to store water, lots of it. Tap water can be stored for a year untreated (it already has chlorine in it) or five years treated with an chemical like Purodene. Storage containers are free. Most grocery stores discard their 5-gallon food grade buckets and will gladly give you some for free. Ten years ago I wrote on a forum that the greatest asset post-SHTF will be fresh water. I still believe that to be true. Broke?? - store water. People will trade you food, tools, silver, you name it, for your water that you stored for FREE.

Nothing seems sillier than storing water the first time you do it. I mean, it's frickin' water. You feel like Noah or something. But it is true that it will be one of the greatest assets and people will literally kill for it.

There are a lot of people who don't have the income to prep. Can't buy food, ammo, whatever. The best advice for those folks is to store water, lots of it. Tap water can be stored for a year untreated (it already has chlorine in it) or five years treated with an chemical like Purodene. Storage containers are free. Most grocery stores discard their 5-gallon food grade buckets and will gladly give you some for free. Ten years ago I wrote on a forum that the greatest asset post-SHTF will be fresh water. I still believe that to be true. Broke?? - store water. People will trade you food, tools, silver, you name it, for your water that you stored for FREE.

Nothing seems sillier than storing water the first time you do it. I mean, it's frickin' water. You feel like Noah or something. But it is true that it will be one of the greatest assets and people will literally kill for it.

agreed. Even though I am on well water and I have an indoors hot water tank to draw from, I still store enough water in our house for each person for 2 weeks. silly? maybe...but what if....just what if we couldn't get water out of our well? Even though we have a generator with gas on hand and 2 manual pumping options...what if the well ran dry? or was contaminated? or we couldn't go outside to pump due to some kind of nuclear/biological threat?

water is #1. Once you've got that covered, then reduntantly covered at least 2 other ways...then you can move on....

You can always buy and store food no matter how little income you have. It's just my opinion, but the best SHTF food is white rice. It's not full of nutrition, but it is cheap and stores for a very long time. It's also compact. Of course you do need water to be able to consume it.

The bad thing about 50 gallon barrels is the extreme weight - 417 lbs. I would only go with 20 gallon, no higher if you have to manipulate their position at all once they are filled. Of course, don't place them on any questionable surface; concrete floor only, etc.

I bought some 20-gallon blue food grade barrels that previously were used to store olives for $5/each off Craigslist. They have snap-seal rings on the top, air/water tight. I put a cap full of Purodene in each one and also run the water through a charcoal filter when filling. Replace the water every fall although they COULD last 5 years.

Anything is better than nothing, but I'd say the minimum is three 20-gallon containers for each person. That is enough for 45-60 days. Without a doubt, also get a water survival-type purifier. An example would be a Lifesaver 6000UF. Incredible technology. Fresh, drinkable water from the most disgusting sources. Probably the most valuable item you could ever own post SHTF.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews