JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been using a propane one in my camper for years. Much less messy, and the fuel doesn't get contaminated when sitting for long periods. I do believe the camp fuel ones will be cheaper to operate over the long run tho.
I like the propane for compatibility, too. I have a Mr. Buddy heater that works w/ the little propane bottles & I have an adapter to run either off a 20# cylinder, too.
my 2 c.
:)

I've been using a coleman propane most my life when I go backpacking and i like em'. No oil that can potentially spill all over your stuff and plus you can buy different sizes of propane bottles if your trying to maximize space. In my opinion though coleman doesn't seem to produce the same quality of product they used to though.

I have the Big 5 cheapie that uses butane cannisters. The cannisters are super cheap on sale, $1 each. It's for short term power outages, etc

The ultimate survival cookstove for a fixed position is a small steel drum with a top grating and firewood :cool:

I have the MSR WhisperLite Internationale (white gas / kerosene). I does a great job quickly getting primed, and then producing efficient heat, with reasonable control. The system is flexible (fuel type, bottle sizes), light (unless you tote around a bunch of the 30oz fuel bottles, and good at high elevations. I have owned and used many stoves, both military and civilian, and this system is my personal choice as the most well-rounded available. You can sometimes find good used ones on Craigslist, or find them new at REI.

A bit off topic, but I love sheepherder's stoves. They heat quickly, take a small amount of wood, and heat a pretty good area if it's insulated. They sure will heat an uninsulated wall tent in sub-zero weather, and they're good for cooking. They are very light weight.

<broken link removed>

Ahem.....With all modesty let me introduce to my friends and acquaintances here;

The Nomad V1.0 portable camp stove.....

It mimics the combustion of a "batch loaded, top burning, up-drafting, solid fuel gassification burn chamber"...I call it a twig stove...

It burns up to 20 minutes on about 2 oz. of twigs, boils water in about 5 minutes and can easily be re-fueled during combustion to increase burn times indefinitely.

Made by yours truly from 20 ga. stainless steel, this unit is built for a lifetime of use...

For ease and convenience; wood pellet fuel may be used very efficiently, but this unit will burn any solid fuel.

Please visit our (piss-poor) web site at <broken link removed>

The web site is just being developed so if any of you that read this are web page designers , please PM me.

We are in the process of getting a Gunpal account; until then all sales are FTF or mail order...We will be at the Vancouver gun show this weekend.

I'll try to upload pics.....

W44

th_GetAttachmentaspx.jpg th_GetAttachmentaspx1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a lot of Coleman stoves and a lot of propane stoves, and I like both.

Coleman:

Pros: Multifuel, meaning white gas or unleaded. Fuel will be available anywhere for as long as civilization exists. Lighter for backbpacking.
Cons: You have to fill, pump and light. Not quite as convenient as propane.

Propane:

Pros: So easy and fast. No filling and pumping.
Cons: Heavier to carry the cartidges while backpacking. And when the cartidges are no longer available? Hmm.

If you want a Coleman stove and can't find one locally (or even if you can) www.campmor.com has a great selection at great prices.

For backpacking, I bought the MSR DragonFly stove from REI because you can also use white gas, kerosene, unleaded gas, or diesel. I chose this over the popular isobutane stoves because if you were ever stuck somewhere without your special can of isobutane, you are very unlikely to find one at a convenience store, where unleaded is practically everywhere. In a SHTF scenario, I like options.

d0b99875-4962-464a-8f80-e6528846b83f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are packing, and can tolerate very simple... ESBIT stoves are about as light as you can get...
OR just the ESBIT fuel, some small crossed aluminum tabs... and three rocks you pick up from the trail.

For camp cooking, it's all a matter of whether you are doing it for just yourself, others etc. Some of those multifuel stoves look really nice. Size, and weight, and method of camping would dictate use.

As far as your power outages go... the multi fueled stoves might be the ticket... especially if you store petrol already (I wish I could... I want a couple jerry cans for the Jeep).

I have a 2 burner camp stove (Coleman) that comes with me on every camping/outing that we can use a car to reach our destination with.

I wouldn't use any of the tab fuel stoves inside though, some of the fuel types emit fumes that can be bad. Propane/gas I might... but there is always risks of monoxide poisoning etc. so even then, I would consider that pushing it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top