JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will admit that I haven't fired up my old Coleman Lantern (Or Stoves) for a few years. I would guess I bought the lantern in the early 70's and used it for probably 25 years. It's been boating, camping, hunting, fishing and just hauled around alot. I always transport it in the box that it came in and I would guess that I have probably put 6 sets of mantles on it........they are actually pretty tough.

Last Edited:
Try that with LED!

I don't need to - this: swp8qc.jpg

Has an attachment I can put on top to cook with.

The thing it is is sitting on:

14611078_539022609625942_5714629080163443659_n.jpg

Can heat a 2K SF house when it is like this outside:

1620814_209168152611391_1491049304_n.jpg

and you can cook things on it with a little patience.

I got it covered thanks.

I also remember being told many times in the olden days that burned mantles were radioactive, and they should not be handled. Don't know the significance, if it was even true.

But what I do believe...New mantles are not as tough as the old mantles. Seems I have to replace my mantles with every outing and use. Just like with .22 shells, I'd buy mantles often. Guess I was a mantle hoarder, and had them stashed in my camping gear, in the pockets of my hunting coats, and in the cubby holes of any of my vehicles. Figured I had a lifetime supply. Guess what? My last camping trip, I had no mantles and had to borrow a couple!

So...This thread is a good heads-up. If propane lighting is important to your prepper plans, gotta keep stocking up.

WAYNO.

Wondering if anyone ever tried to weave a steel wool mantle, and if so how did it hold up/light output.

Also reminds me to pick up some old school kerosene railroad lanterns from my dad. No where near the light output as mantle lanterns, but nice nonetheless & nifty conversation pieces. Handy too if your concern may be light pollution, until you blackout the particular area.

Edit, adding: this thread reminds me of last camping trip my brother came on with my Dad & I. A simple car camp up to NH along the Kangamangus HWY in the fall. It's well dark, the fires going & Dad starts to pump up the White gas Coleman lantern. Lights fine -BRILLIANT! I'm thinking.

As he's holding it, white gas starts to spray out from the tank pump up is arm, then ignites. He's flapping around & about, arm ablaze then gets it put out rite quickly. I'm thinking that's even more BRILLIANT! Do it again Dad! Do it again Dad! A bunch of campers from the surrounding campsites had come out & had watched his show too...my brother on the other hand didn't find it anywhere near as entertaining & slept in the car, a station wagon along the lines of the family Griswald.

-So mind your pumps and seals on those lanterns, and always keep several fire extinguishers handy if using them indoors!

Last Edited:
I collect and restore old Coleman lanterns, lamps, stoves and other makes of gas pressure appliances (GPA's). Oldest I have in my possession is a Coleman 1909 Model R Reading Lamp.
Pictured are a 1934 Coleman Quick-Lite and a 1948 Model 425 stove.

Mantles are plentiful and available everywhere. I buy them at Fred Meyer when their outdoor section has sales and a dozen whenever they are. You'll never run out. Trick to keeping your burned in mantle intact during transport is using a five gallon bucket and a bunch of bubble wrap to cushion the ride. Works well, and better if you can fit a lid for back of the pickup.

We have a major GPA parts distributor right in Kalma off I-5. Cigar Mike will set you up for odd and old size mantles. Remember, not all mantles are the same. Lantern specific. Cigar Mike hosts a great GPA forum (Coleman Collectors Forum) and a link to his store is at the top of the site. Yes, you'll see me there.

There is also a shop in SE Portland, Ollie Damons, for parts and repairs. Not much can go wrong with these old soldiers. Mostly just time and neglect. But in good form they will operate as intended forever.

P1030416.JPG

P1030532.JPG

I also remember being told many times in the olden days that burned mantles were radioactive, and they should not be handled. Don't know the significance, if it was even true.
WAYNO.

From over half a century ago, I seem to recall something like that too. Never gave it another thought since I was maybe 10.

Wikipedia says the radioactive component is Thorium. A little "light" reading...
Gas mantle - Wikipedia

From over half a century ago, I seem to recall something like that too. Never gave it another thought since I was maybe 10.

Wikipedia says the radioactive component is Thorium. A little "light" reading...
Gas mantle - Wikipedia

That was actually interesting to read.

It sounds like Coleman no longer uses thorium but instead uses yttrium in their mantles.

E

You would be surprised how many substances are radioactive.

As for me, I've spent my lifetime keeping radioactive dose as low as reasonably achievable and see no reason to knowingly inhale any more material. Polonium 210 and thorium included.

I collect and restore old Coleman lanterns, lamps, stoves and other makes of gas pressure appliances (GPA's). Oldest I have in my possession is a Coleman 1909 Model R Reading Lamp.
Pictured are a 1934 Coleman Quick-Lite and a 1948 Model 425 stove.

Mantles are plentiful and available everywhere. I buy them at Fred Meyer when their outdoor section has sales and a dozen whenever they are. You'll never run out. Trick to keeping your burned in mantle intact during transport is using a five gallon bucket and a bunch of bubble wrap to cushion the ride. Works well, and better if you can fit a lid for back of the pickup.

We have a major GPA parts distributor right in Kalma off I-5. Cigar Mike will set you up for odd and old size mantles. Remember, not all mantles are the same. Lantern specific. Cigar Mike hosts a great GPA forum (Coleman Collectors Forum) and a link to his store is at the top of the site. Yes, you'll see me there.

There is also a shop in SE Portland, Ollie Damons, for parts and repairs. Not much can go wrong with these old soldiers. Mostly just time and neglect. But in good form they will operate as intended forever.

View attachment 317932

View attachment 317933

I've got my father's old Coleman stove, looks a lot like that one. I don't know the age, but likely dates to the early 60's, and still runs great, though it doesn't get as much use as it used to. I remember as a kid filling the tank first thing in the morning, pressurizing it and keeping it going through the morning cooking. I don't know what happened to his old lantern, I need to look around and see if that made its way to me and see,

I know a bit of a side bar but I've stopped using the propane cylinders and changed all my car camping gear to white gas. I just grew tired of half empty bottles all over the place and having them seep in storage and having them almost empty / empty when needed. White fuel, I just need to top off and I'm GTG.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top