JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Up hunting, I'm threading the 100th or so mantle (over the last 55+ years) on my Coleman (whilst holding a LED converted mini-mag in my teeth) and thinking how glad I was to have the convenient propane version, pizo start, with the soft jacket and the storage pouch for extra mantles.
In the old days, my two other, one a multi gas version (now stored in the basement) did not have a case so many was the time I would get somewhere and remember I had forgotten the mantles. (one at least was always broken)
This got me to thinking about the reason I kept the pump up multi gas ones. (emergency light and heat plus SHTF survival)
Coleman's, multi gas or not, aren't much good without mantles.
I, like the rest of you conscientious brothers and sisters bent on staying alive with some comfort, have stocked up on mantles when found on sale.

Nonetheless, it got me to thinking if there is a way to manufacture a replacement, should the worst come to pass ( ran out of mantles).
Albeit possibly crude, less efficient or short lived, does anyone know if homemade mantles are possible???
Thank you kindly

I have literally hundreds of mantles I picked up from a sporting goods store that was going out of business, 25 or so years ago.

Something I would consider trying for make-shift mantles, is weaved tubular mesh. Cotton preferably. Perhaps from the medical field, that's used to slip over an arm so an injury can breathe. Any type (Grammas Doyle (spelling?) or 1/8" weaved mesh. Cut a piece big enough to cover a ping-pong ball, with plenty left over to trim after shaping.

The key to a mantle is a closed, but breathable bubble that gives the gas an area to circle within. The holes (weave) allow oxygen in as fuel for the fuel....if that makes sense. Tie the weave onto the lantern with cotton string. Hit up the fabric shops or medical supply. I'm sure you'll find something that will fit the need. Experiment. ;)

Another thought, replacement screen used to repair screen doors. IF the right type can be found. And another, burlap.

Last Edited:
This has me looking hard! I ran into life time mantles advertised someplace not that long ago, so it would seem that some one has found a means to make a permanent type of mantle that doesn't ever burn out or other wise go bad! I have been furiously digging trying to find it, if/when I can, I will be sure to post it up!

I'm not sure if they still are, but years ago those mantles were slightly radioactive. I remember a co-worker setting off the alarms in a radiological facility one day. He had a mantle tucked into his back pocket.

This has me looking hard! I ran into life time mantles advertised someplace not that long ago, so it would seem that some one has found a means to make a permanent type of mantle that doesn't ever burn out or other wise go bad! I have been furiously digging trying to find it, if/when I can, I will be sure to post it up!

That would be good info to have if there is a place to get them.

I'm not sure if they still are, but years ago those mantles were slightly radioactive. I remember a co-worker setting off the alarms in a radiological facility one day. He had a mantle tucked into his back pocket.

Every night when I get home and empty my pockets I take out my keys, some string, gum wrappers, paper clips, sometimes a pine cone, and a spare spork out of my shoe... but never a radio-active lantern mantle!

:D

They switched over to a non-radioactive form of yttrium in the mid 90's. Some people thought that a dry crumbling alpha emitter near your face and on your fingers was a bad idea. They went the way of tritium and radium dials and depleted uranium Fiesta Ware.

So I did some googling.

If you look around enough, you can find some for sale for less than one dollar per mantle (on eBay IIRC), while on Lehman's/Amazon they go for $2 to $3 per mantle.

Still, it would be nice to find one that isn't so fragile.

I have a Petromax lantern and my kids have a Coleman.

I don't use these for camping, but as emergency lighting, and then only if power fails for a long time. I think 40 or 50 mantles would last a long time.

The only way those old ( and still available ) radioactive lantern mantles are going to hurt you is if you eat 10-12 of them and you choke on them. FWIW my geiger counter still pings off the alpha particles coming off coleman lantern mantles.

I gave up on mantles years ago. Rechargeable LED lanterns are so far superior to those it isnt even funny.

The only way those old ( and still available ) radioactive lantern mantles are going to hurt you is if you eat 10-12 of them and you choke on them. FWIW my geiger counter still pings off the alpha particles coming off coleman lantern mantles.

I gave up on mantles years ago. Rechargeable LED lanterns are so far superior to those it isnt even funny.

I have rechargeable LED emergency lighting throughout the house. Most of my day to day lighting is LED. I have lanterns and flashlights.

But it is always good to have more than one type of energy source for heating, lighting and cooking. My Petromax and MSR XGK stove will run on multiple liquid fuels, and I have multiple fuels. I also have a wood stove and 20 acres of forest with more hardwood than I can burn in my remaining lifetime.

What I don't have is more than a half dozen mantles.:(

If I added up all the mantles I've used in my life most would think it would be a lifetime plus worth if bought all at one time, but here I am still putting them on! I admit I have spent more time than most outdoors at least by todays, or even just yesterdays generations standards and I likely have enough to last.
Nonetheless, if you come up with the "Lifetime mantles" resource, I would like to know as even though I may have enough to last me now, the detail work in putting them on is getting difficult for arthritic hands and poor eyes.
Thanks for the post Ura-KI I look too now that I know such a thing may exist.

I have rechargeable LED emergency lighting throughout the house. Most of my day to day lighting is LED. I have lanterns and flashlights.

But it is always good to have more than one type of energy source for heating, lighting and cooking. My Petromax and MSR XGK stove will run on multiple liquid fuels, and I have multiple fuels. I also have a wood stove and 20 acres of forest with more hardwood than I can burn in my remaining lifetime.

What I don't have is more than a half dozen mantles.:(
I use a lot of LED also but Coleman's are much more than light. I use them as much for heat as light, In trailer house size enclosures or tents with a little fresh air flow it is all you need even with snow on the ground. IMGP3828.JPG
A lot of hunting done right out on my truck. Doors closed, side vent open, a little nice mattress and sleeping bag, cold and raining like a son of a gun and I'm warm and toasty, plus, laid over the top of it on the hanging bar, in a couple hours my gloves hat and rain gear are dried. not to mention the hard roll with cheese made the night before and wrapped in tin foil, placed on the top when I light it in the morning to warm up is nice and warm and cheese melted for a good warm breakfast with my coffee for a quick start on the morning hunt. Try that with LED!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top