JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took my AR out to the range yesterday. It was around 30 degrees out and my bolt would not cycle. I had to manually do it after every shot. I put 120 rounds through it and it was still doing it. Was this because of the cold weather, or could it be some other factor. It had been freshly cleaned and lubed.

If it didn't work after it had been fired a half dozen times I would think something besides cold was wrong. Metals contract not swell when cold. So any tolerances would have most likely gotten greater.

By "bolt did not cycle" do you mean it failed to travel far enough back to extract (short cycle) or it just didn't move (non-cycle).
Did this ammo successfully operate the rifle previously?
Did the rifle successfully operate with different ammo previously?
If it was a non-cycle then the gas port is blocked, the gas tube is blocked, the gas checks on the bolt are misaligned or missing, bolt carrier gas key is loose or missing.
A Short cycle is usually bad ammo for the rifle configuration (at this temp). Some types of gunpowder are more sensitive to temp than others, and freezing temps could be driving down operating pressure. But that would mean that the ammo barely worked the action at previous range days. Any FTE's with this ammo before? The gas checks lining up on the bolt can also allow excess gas blow-by giving a weak cycle, so you may want to start there.
Best of luck,

Good responses so far except for cookie :s0112:

Might try teflon spray lube if all else fails.. is the gun new? Has it done this before? Is it a home build or factory, and what brand if factory

So is this the first time you took it out shooting or have you tried it during warm weather and now it fails.

never had a failure due to cold with a ar15 and i have shot below freezing weather .

but if its all brand new. and a pieced together rifle ( or even a factory rifle ) there could a simple minor issue thats causing it to fail as many have mentioned gas. but out of spec parts can cause problems .

most common

loose gas key they have to be on tight
improperly indexed or loose gas block

other possible problems
gas port drilled too small ( some panic 20" barrels were drilled with ports too small )
gas tube missing roll pin
plugged gas tube
out of spec locking lugs
out of spec gas key
out of spec extractor (sticks out too much and causes resistance some panic extractors went out like this)
barrel nut not properly installed causing the gas tube to bend slightly in a way to cause resistance in the gas key.

So is this the first time you took it out shooting or have you tried it during warm weather and now it fails.

never had a failure due to cold with a ar15 and i have shot below freezing weather .

but if its all brand new. and a pieced together rifle ( or even a factory rifle ) there could a simple minor issue thats causing it to fail as many have mentioned gas. but out of spec parts can cause problems .

most common

loose gas key they have to be on tight
improperly indexed or loose gas block

other possible problems
gas port drilled too small ( some panic 20" barrels were drilled with ports too small )
gas tube missing roll pin
plugged gas tube
out of spec locking lugs
out of spec gas key
out of spec extractor (sticks out too much and causes resistance some panic extractors went out like this)
barrel nut not properly installed causing the gas tube to bend slightly in a way to cause resistance in the gas key.

I sure do like piston guns. No issues like this.

Paging Justin.. several people have spent time trying to help you.. and you're MIA :rolleyes:

Taku, I've never had problems with properly set up and maintained gas system ARs

I sure do like piston guns. No issues like this.

not really . a off center gas block or undersized or over sized gas port out of spec parts can cause the same problems there are trouble shooting forums specifically for gas piston uppers remember there are 100 times more DI system rifles than Piston rifles on the market and if you ever visited the Piston trouble shooting forums you may find that the % piston failures are equal to if not greater than DI issues and usually for the same reasons other than problems related to loose gas key.

But let us not go there .

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR