JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw this on Amazon for $18 and I wanted a machete type blade, so I thought for the cost it was worth a try.

97MKM_m.jpg

Out of the "box" (it came in a plastic bag) it is fairly dull, so my first impression of how it cuts almost anything (branches, brambles, saplings) is that it is very poor. It was almost dark when I got home so I will have to sharpen and try again tomorrow.

The blade is thin (2mm, 0.07") - a little thicker than some machetes, but certainly much thinner than my Kabar Kukri (Ka-Bar 2-1249-9) which at 0.165" is more than twice as thick, but with a shorter 11.5" length and the same weight, the balance is much different. Plus, the KaBar came out of the box much sharper.

Still, my intention for the CS is to use it as more of a machete, and those are generally lighter, longer and thinner, for easier/faster swinging for cutting vines, grass and brambles. So we'll see - maybe this weekend I will sharpen it and try it. I have no shortage of brambles and stuff to try it on,but it definitely needs to be sharpened first as it just won't cut anything right now.

I bought one of the Gerbers with the saw back and it was dull as could be as well. Took awhile to get a decent edge on it and I still have not had the chance to use it much so I still can't say how I like it. Same thing on the cost, I bought it because it was $20 on sale at the time.

I have the Gerber brush tool - kind of a poor hand brush hook. It is too short for brambles though. Your hand gets too close to the brambles, which stick out every which way. Generally I use my flail mower for the bulk of the brambles, but some of them are just too close to trees/etc. to mow, so I will have to chop them down by hand.

I did sharpen the CS tonight, it does feel sharper, but I think I need a belt sander to do it right on this blade.

This importer is worth a look if one is serious about a Khukuri
I have the 12" Ang Khola...fascinating stories on the site about how these are made IMO
http://himalayan-imports.com/

I found one used with papers that has micarta handles - never sharpened or hit anything with it before I got it. It's about a 10" blade and very stout with a kydex sheath, I believe the guy said he contacted them and had it custom made.
It's one of my favorite knives.

I am not serious about them, I like the balance if they are properly done - for brush clearing. Beyond that I have little use for them and I don't spend too much money on them. I like my Kabar Kukri, but it isn't as useful to me as a more conventional knife.

A little better with the sharpening I did.

Free hanging vines/brambles are hard to cut as they deflect so much - you need velocity.

The problem with this "machete" - besides the dull edge from the factory - is the heel of the handle flares out, and when I swing it, the flare gouges into my hand. The more velocity, the more it gouges. I will have to grind that down.

Thanks, but I don't care for the traditionals - I am looking for function over form, and I wanted a brush cutter. I strongly prefer rubber handled knives, especially when I am using them as a machete to cut brush.

Yeah, a traditional wouldn't be a good fit for your application. They look awesome on display & super for day to day work where they come from.

Bought one in Nepal & gifted it to my Dad in '06. Could likely lop a wrist off without much trouble.

Spent an afternoon at the main post office in Khatmandu to ship it, interesting process. Kinda like herding chickens would be. Had to pay some ladies to burlap & twine wrap my box (after physical search, inspection, inspection stamp).

The inspection for the Kukri to see if it was old/heirloom was for the officer to run it up his arm & see if it was shave quality or not...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top