JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As usual, most people I run across have no idea how to make a good cup-o'-joe. Oh well, more for me.
And now someone comes along and tells me I have to use 14-16 Tbs of grounds for 10-12 cups of coffee? And wait 12+ hours to drink it?
GTFO

My mom could make coffee that you could see the bottom of the cup through. It looked like med-strong tea.
But it was strong and delicious. Of course, she made it in an unglazed crockery pot, and towards the end of the brew added a whole egg to it, shell and all, so I don't advise trying that one for the uninitiated. But the egg will sink when a little cold water is added on top of it, and as it sinks it takes every bit of sediment with it. She then poured it through a clean linen towel into a heated carafe.
But I digress,...

Making good coffee is simple. It's not quick, but it's not difficult.

Boil water, turn off heat and let stand 30 secs to one minute, depending on ambient temp. (This is important in camp)
Add grounds, stir lightly ONCE. Put lid back on pot.
Brew 4-5 minutes, keeping warm. Add a small splash of cold water and let stand one more minute.
Done.
Pour gently, leaving the sediment on the bottom of the pot.

Delish.
NEVER BOIL COFFEE!

Straight Kopi Luwak, I spent a lot of time in Indonesia and there is no better coffee in the world.

Of course it wasn't $100-600/lb back then...

Don't splurge unless you can afford it - my dad still laments those years and how good the coffee was.

Best coffee I've tasted to date is Blue Mountain coffee in Jamaica. Man that stuff was amazing. Problem is it's only grown there and to get it here, best price I've found so far is about $40-$50 a pound - too far outside my price range. That Indonesian coffee sounds really good too.

I've been thinking a little about roasting my own. It's supposed to be crazy good once you know what your doing.

Plus...green coffee stores a really long while supposedly.

The process isn't hard - you can do it on your stove top in a cast iron skillet. The trick is to know exactly when to stop roasting the beans - and that's simply a judgment call that really comes from experience. I've done it a few times, using small amounts of beans. Like roasting nuts in the oven, it really does give you much better results than anything store bought.

As a side note, if you also like home-made popcorn (not the microwave crap), you can buy one of these for about $20-$25 online - not only does it make great popcorn (especially if you use coconut oil), but also can be used to roast coffee beans - though I haven't put ours to use for that purpose...yet. It's also a great way to make things like kettle corn, which is really easy once you learn the process. It's called the "Whirly Pop" by Wabash Farms and has been well worth the $20 I paid for it:

11740816782378p?$478$.jpg

Best coffee I've tasted to date is Blue Mountain coffee in Jamaica. Man that stuff was amazing. Problem is it's only grown there and to get it here, best price I've found so far is about $40-$50 a pound - too far outside my price range. That Indonesian coffee sounds really good too.

Just don't read about how the coffee beans are harvested and you would love it;).

Coffee for some, rather like beer. 40,000 different kinds, and 100,000 thousand opinions on what is best.
I've been drinking coffee for 60 years and rarely is the pot empty.
I just retired from managing a local office coffee service and roaster for 12 years. Having drunk every Kind of coffee roasted at every temperature level from drum roasters, air roasters to home and brewed in every process imagined including cold with bear gas (nitrogen & Co2) infusion. Plus personally speaking with of thousands of coffee drinkers through the coffee business including many so called "master Roasters"

I can offer my insight ultimately of little value.
1. What taste good is subjective and for many, subject to psychological persuasion.
2. The more coffee pious the drinker, the weirder they are.
3. part of the post by member "Wired" (Above) has it right " A good cup of hot coffee will taste good cold".

...NEVER BOIL COFFEE!

I agree, but it also depends...

When I boil my camp coffee, I'm going for an "almost Turkish". Not as finely ground though. I do double, sometimes triple boil it, before passing it though a filter. Really good stuff, again though due to the grind, not quite Turk.

I spent a good few weeks in Khatmandu Nepal recuperating from my trip acrossed Xinjiang & Tibet. Most mornings I hit a coffee shop run by a Japanese woman & her Nepali husband for breakfast.

She made coffee I have yet to replicate. Used a chamoi cloth as the filter, kinda like Cuban.

Banana pancakes, some eggs with her coffee & just setting watching the crazy go by. :)

I agree, but it also depends...

When I boil my camp coffee, I'm going for an "almost Turkish". Not as finely ground though. I do double, sometimes triple boil it, before passing it though a filter. Really good stuff, again though due to the grind, not quite Turk.

I spent a good few weeks in Khatmandu Nepal recuperating from my trip acrossed Xinjiang & Tibet. Most mornings I hit a coffee shop run by a Japanese woman & her Nepali husband for breakfast.

She made coffee I have yet to replicate. Used a chamoi cloth as the filter, kinda like Cuban.

Banana pancakes, some eggs with her coffee & just setting watching the crazy go by. :)
Folks have to remember that as you go up in altitude, the boiling temp of water drops.
So that nice Japanese/Nepalese woman may have gotten away with boiling your coffee at only 190*! (probably more like 204*F at 4300')
I dunno what the elevation there was, but it was most likely a huge factor.
Knowing the elevation there should give you a clue as to what temp to brew it at to replicate her product.

Folks have to remember that as you go up in altitude, the boiling temp of water drops.
So that nice Japanese/Nepalese woman may have gotten away with boiling your coffee at only 190*! (probably more like 204*F at 4300')
I dunno what the elevation there was, but it was most likely a huge factor.
Knowing the elevation there should give you a clue as to what temp to brew it at to replicate her product.

Great point, thanks. Khatmandu sets at around 4500'.

Conversation heard in CVIC: Sailor....".LT, wold you like a cuppajoe?" What's the caffeine level, Petty Officer Smith? Battery acid, sir, bottom of the pot. Then I'll take a large, thanks."Aye Aye, sir.

Brutus out

I like a good brew, but when it's 0330...... Horsepower is necessary.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top