JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
need some help from only those that have had to deal with this. I've got a cocky 13 year old boy. He's a good kid. But cocky. I'm cocky. And I need to fix that after 43 years. Besides me, how do I handle this?

Lol! I've known some pretty cocky bball players over the years. But baseball players were the worst.

Yes! A lot can be said about how a sport shapes personality. Basketball is a lot of individual gamesmanship and making people look bad is encouraged. In baseball, it gets you hurt. Baseball is sink or swim. No one can help you hit, pitch, or play defense. You have a hard time hiding a bad player. Because of that, baseball shows a great deal of athletic darwinism. Football is the ultimate team sport and it takes too much coordination and cooperation to allow for very many extreme egos. People get hurt together, so others can get the ultimate glory.

Yep! True comments. Football, wrestling, ski racing was my sports. Those first two are great shaping for kids. The third was a joke.
I want my kid to see my faults so he can avoid the pitfalls I've delt with. I actually love most people. Have to see past my look first. I'm trying to change that.

I told him i was gonna sign him up at the local boxing club here. Told him the Mexicans will love pounding his butt.

That should be put into "that" thread:p.

Hell, my daughter is still cocky but also knows how to be extremely respectful.

I never grew out of my phase so at 40 I got nothing for ya:confused:.. I was 6' and 160lbs at his age. My mom kept telling me there would be bigger and meaner people then me in my life and I guess at some point I just stopped trying to prove her wrong. Keep him busy and they don't have time to get into trouble.

I stayed away from wrestling when I heard about the thumb in the brown eye escape:eek:.

Apple didn't land far from the tree is seems so only you know what might work.

I was oretty cocky at work into my late 20s, had a chip on my shoulder and actually was unproductive.
Until my boss sat me down, cussed me out, and told me what a POS I was.
Best thing someone can hear is they aren't important, there's always someone better, working harder, and wants it more.
Make him do something he will fail at.
Get him involved in giving back to someone. Someone less fortunate.
Helping others always humbles you, and help you realize how hard things can be.

hes 13 and prob thinks he knows it all. he'll figure it out. kids can be rebellious at this age. lots of changes going on in his life both mentally and physicslly. kids live in the moment at his age. i know i did. it was hard to see past friday night hangin with friends when i was young and dumb. just make sure to be supportive of the good things but stern on "the rules." be dad and not a best friend. it'll take a while but he'll respect you for it in the long run. let him know he can talk to you about anything but dont be smothering. maybe start by giving him some responsibilities and to own his mistakes. teach him how to work and that he has to earn things and that no body OWES him sh!t.

i settled down around 21-22. took a good woman two years to bring me back down to earth. now were married going on 5yrs but together for almost 10. one kid and one on the way in a few weeks.

dont get me wrong im 29, me and my buds still raise a little cane here and there but arent near as rowdy as we were. life happens.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top